Ostrich Feather Boa

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by K_8ie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

This seems as good a place as any to ask this question, does anyone know if ostrich feather boas are what they use to make "truffula tree floats"? I have no idea what the proper name for these are and I'm having a hard time finding a picture, but they're the feather pom pom floats (on a long chain).
  2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

3. mindputtee

I thiink so, hard to get a good look from that picture.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

that is what i pictured also good job TC
  5. Terpsichorean Clod

[​IMG]

You might PM JoepiE since it's him and his partner.
  6. mindputtee

Ah, the one closer to her shoulder is a little bit more of what I'm picturing, the one on her wrist is a little larger and more ball like than I'm thinking.
  7. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I bet if you took a short length of high-quality ostrich boa and folded it in half, it would make a nice poof ball.

But I worry if there are multiple poofs-on-a-string on one arm that they will tangle up during dancing :eek:
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Oh please no! :eek:
  9. mindputtee

What? You aren't a fan of the fluffy floats??
    Jananananana likes this.
  10. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I love fluffy floats. Then again, I'm obsessed with all things ostrich so I may be slightly biased. Just slightly.
  11. mindputtee

They remind me of truffula trees and that makes me happy. Very whimsical.
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Maybe Joe got bonked with one while on the comp floor?
  13. Terpsichorean Clod

They make me want to play Mario Kart.
    FancyFeet, ajiboyet, latingal and 2 others like this.
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

No insult intended, but I saw a latin dress once with these things, and I kept thinking she had feather dusters hanging from her arms....LOL!
    ajiboyet and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  15. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I also thought about this tangle up issue so always reluctant in making pom Pom floats dresses.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan for fluffy floats, they look cute but I'm more of big fan for fabric, I love high quality fabric as floats, gives dress a more flowy look.

The yellow dress in picture is nice, I like the skirt and the Pom Pom floats looks cute and interesting. As long as the fluffy Pom Pom floats won't tangle during dancing, would be wonderful.
  16. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

The only thing I know about ostrich feathers at this point is that if you attach it to a hem, it makes a skirt 10x more aerodynamic. So I bet ostrich feather floats would be amazing for that too, not to mention the odds of other people having them are probably slim to none.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think you mean 10x less aerodynamic...
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.