Ouch!! New Shoes!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TinyDancer109, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

So, I just got a new pair of smooth shoes, and they fit perfectly fine (other than having to punch my own holes into the straps because they were too loose).

I have been trying to break them in for about 2 weeks because I have a competition at the end of october. They keep cutting my feet so bad though... Everytime I give me feet time to heal, wearing the shoes reopens my cuts... ive tried bandaids and socks (altho the socks make my shoes feel a little tight). the stains iit leaves in my shoes are gross too. :doh:

anybody else get this problem? do u normally just fight thru it? i really want my feet and shoes to be in good shape for my competition.

2. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Hey I am experiencing the same thing too. I feel your pain!

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

This happens to me. You have to let your feet heal completely before wearing the shoes again. Then don't wear them for more than 10 minutes at a time, and slowly work up to more until they are more broken in. Good luck. :(

4. liz

liz New Member

For one pair of my latin shoes I used a shoe stretch spray to help them stretch.

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I wear Ray Rose shoes, so it never hurts, apart from the first wear (they are really soft!). But when I manage to cut/hurt my feet from too much pressure or practice or whatever, what I do is bandage them up and work through the pain. And when I used to have stiffer shoes I did the same thing. Masochistic, I know, but I'm kinda used to it.

6. Kanela

Kanela New Member

I second this.. I wore my latin shoes for the first time to a practice dance and ended up with blood on tan satin.:mad: (I researched how to get the stains out of it at 11pm at night- hydrogen peroxide) I wore it again however for shorter times and would occasionally get a blister after the feet heal it would get better the next time.
    Good luck!

7. gracie

gracie Active Member

Do you get pedicures routinely? I stopped getting so many pedicures and let my feet toughen up and now much less foot pain. Also, I wear the soft fishnets- they really protect your feet.

8. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

I just use MoleSkin to pad the areas where they might cut in. Sometimes you can get the Moleskin to stick to the inside of the shoe on a more permanent basis, which is helpful.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Like another poster mentioned, I break my shoes in slowly....wear them about 15 minutes and then change to old shoes on the first day. Then I note where the rub spots are and for the next break in session I make sure to tape the rub spot areas with coaches tape to save my feet from developing cuts and blisters.

10. dancepro

dancepro New Member

I wanted to pm you with the solution that I used when I competed, but I am not finding an e-mail address for you.

Dancepro

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

dancepro won't share with the rest of us?:(

12. QPO

QPO New Member

ooh this sounds painful, are the shoes too small? I have just got a new pair my shoes as well, I can feel my big toe in the bottom of my shoes and if my toe nails grow long I think I might be in trouble, but no blisters and I danced in them for three hours. The only thing I had was the satin getting dirty, but I managed to find on Google an old dance forum thread about cleaning them :)

13. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

instead of regular bandaids, have you tried the ones that are more like man-made skins? You know, those round shape "sticker looking" bandaids that you could put on your heel or anywhere on your feet? They are thicker and provide way better protection the the usually thin bandaids.

I use them on my heels when my heels get cut open. Even with an open cut (you can see the inner pink from the skin), I still don't feel anything with these things on. They work very nice as a life saver.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You might try a slightly larger shoe next time - and then add drugstore soft inserts. I cut these to match the bulges on the soles of my feet ending up wiht a home made orthopedics.

Please don't laugh - at least I'm still dancing :) I just wish that one day I could have shoes custom made for me feet and not be in pain after dancing...

15. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

to stretch your shoes use combination of alcohol and water. it is cheap and very useful.

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

You could use either shoe stretcher or next time purchase half size bigger. This happened to me before, very painful, I also used band-aids to help break in.

17. Rumbalicious

Rumbalicious New Member

The night before your comp put Liquid Bandage over all the spots on your feet where you have suffered from cuts or blisters in those shoes. It gives you another layer of 'fake skin' protection.

18. Chiron

Chiron New Member

In my experience Liquid Bandage works great for minor blisters and those bandaid blister things work amazingly for the major ones (only problem is if you need to take them off early). I always carry both in my comp bag.

19. QPO

QPO New Member

take care of your feet they need to last a long time for good dancing. I think buying the shoe 1/2 size bigger is a very good suggestions.

20. dansa

dansa New Member

yey!
    i bought my carmen shoes 1/2 size too SMALL and yes it was painful. But i managed to stretch them so they came perfectly wide for me as rayrose normally have narrower shoes...

so i bought 2 small cokebottles (the plastic, 500ml ones) and filled them with boiling water and forced them "inside" the shoe so that it stretches it out.
    and thanks to the heat from the boiling water inside, over 1-2 days, they really stretched to the perfect size for me. (however during this 1-2 days its best to change the boiling water from time to time when it cools down it makes no use.. i changed like 5 times the water)
    i truly recommend to do this, it really works!