Ouch!! New Shoes!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TinyDancer109, Oct 3, 2008.

1. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

for me I take the bottles, fill them, shove into my shoes, stick in freezer til water is frozen, let sit there at least 24 hours then pull out. usually gives just enough stretch for me and my toes.
  2. I would also recommend (as long as you don't have open blisters) using medical tape not bandaids on hotspots on your feet to prevent the hotspots from developing into blisters/getting raw. Bandaids tend to fall off for me and the tape is more protective (I can usually stop using it as the shoes break in).
  3. MariahHelms

MariahHelms New Member

Thank you! That makes more sense.
  4. QPO

QPO New Member

Good advice I will remember to hve some in my emergency kit :)

5. gracie

gracie Active Member

Do you ladies get pedicures alot? I stopped and my feet have really toughened up, though not as pretty I guess. Do still get the nails done.
  6. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I gave up on pedicures -- got tired of spending $ and then losing the polish 30 seconds after doing some rumba walks. Some women I know will wear stockings to protect their pedicures, but I like to dance with my bare feet in my shoes.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF MariahHelms!

I normally bring tape with me when I break in a new pair of shoes (assuming they don't need to be stretched out, just worn in). The minute I notice anything starting to rub, tape goes over the spot to protect my skin during break in. Once I know the problems spots, I tape before I get in the shoes.

If you need to stretch the shoes, I use pointe shoe cedar shoe fillers and pens over night at least to stretch where the shoe needs to be stretched (in the front strap area).
  8. sofi

sofi New Member

I just started wearing a new pair of shoes. I feel your pain.

I have two potential methods. The first one is to fill a ziplock with water, stuff it into the shoe, and stick it in the freezer. I haven't done this because I don't really want to stick my expensive dance shoes in the freezer, but I have done it for other dress shoes, and it does work fairly well.

My other method is to stick a rolled-up sock into the shoes overnight, and re-adjust it everyday.

Hope some of these methods work for you!
  9. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Yes you drink the alcohol so that you don't notice the pain but use the water to hydrate yourself to avoid getting a hangover lmao ;)
    Presto!!! Problem solved!!!

In all seriousness, however, I have never really had major problems with my shoes... *searches for nearest wooden surface to knock on*
  10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am too embarrassed to get a pedicure and show that unfortunate person my nasty, callus-infested, ingrown toenail ridden feet... also, I am afraid that they might shave off my calluses and then I will be back at square one!!
  11. KN

KN New Member

I have a pair of Elegance brand dance shoes- latin heel sandels. I can't remember the name of the right now but I bought the same type when my first pair wore down. I don't remember ever having blistering or other major issues with wearing them in. They are excellent shoes!
  12. Bella

Bella New Member

I do! But they don't touch the calluses, they're there for a reason.
  13. dansa

dansa New Member

i believe shoes fit differently for different feet.
    for example i never got blisters or pain from carmen shoe of rayrose. but other people maybe did..
    im sure its all about how your feet are and how the shoe is...
  14. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

I am sorta use to "living" with it. As a pointe ballet dancer for years (when I was a teen) had horrible feet with calluses. Now that i am in heels 95% of the time, feet have started getting the calluses in many of the same places. Kinda feels like I am doing something right. It has helped with my shoes because I dance standard and I prefer a tighter fit. So short time with pain (as they in the beginning were cutting into my feet), long on shoes conforming to my tootsies and having it fit perfectly. So I take the sacrifice.
  15. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

Do you do this with your smooth shoes too?
  16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

This is *genuis*.

Just sayin!
  17. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I do that too, except I usually use a ziplock bag because then it fits better. :)
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I might have to do this. I need a new pair of standard shoes and I have not been looking forward to buying because that means I have to break them in -_-
  19. janineanne

janineanne New Member

Breaking in shoes - how long to keep at it

Hi,

This is my first post here - I found this website through my Google search for info on this topic.

I have a pair of Anna Kern WCS shoes, very similar to the Supadance 1426 model that most people wear. They seem to fit fine when I put them on, but my heels keep blistering and the straps keep cutting into my big toes. I'm wondering if there is anything more I can do to break them in, and/or how long I should wait before giving up and trying another size or brand.

I have put pads under the balls of my feet, which helped somewhat by keeping my feet from sliding forward into the straps. I use Spenco Adhesive Knit on my heels, and Band-Aid Finger & Toe Blister pads on my big toes.

I know I need to toughen up my feet, so I always start out dancing with no tape. Each time a spot starts to hurt, I tape it up. First is the left heel, followed by the left big toe. Sometimes I can get away without taping the right foot (which is my smaller foot) but usually at least the heel gets taped.

I bought the shoes at a local store that has a good reputation. I asked a rep from the store at a recent dance weekend if the shoes could be too small and she said maybe, but suggested wearing nylons. I hate nylons, and looking around the floor at the event I saw only one woman wearing them, and another wearing socks. Everyone else was wearing their shoes barefoot, as I am trying to do.

I've been dancing in them several times a week for at least three months now and it has gotten a little better, but progress seems to have stalled. Is there anything else I can do? Aside from trading in for new feet... my feet have always blistered easily, but it has never been this much of a problem before.

Thanks!
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my sympathies...I think it is impossible to say via the internet...but, generally speaking, I find that it is hard to find a shoe that doesn't take a good while to punish your feet into submission...unless you are a man