Ouch!! New Shoes!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TinyDancer109, Oct 3, 2008.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Dancing multiple times a week, after three months, and they still hurt? Find another style/size. Are the straps at the toes satin? Those are pretty much not going to stretch very far--if it's still cutting in, it's too narrow.

I sympathize. It took me FOREVER to find a Smooth shoe that I could even get my foot into, let alone dance in.

2. janineanne

janineanne New Member

No, they're leather. They don't seem tight when I put them on; my toes slide into them easily. But after a while, ouch.

I have the same problem with open-toed pumps - the edge of the opening tends to cut into the side of my toes.

This is why I usually wear sneakers! :)

3. Hank

Hank Member

If dance shoes don't feel good within 30 minutes, they never feel good. I once bought the exact same brand, model, and size as my most comfortable dance shoes. The replacements hurt, so I tried to break them in 15 minutes/week for a year before giving up and discarding them.

This is why, once I find comfortable shoes, I repair them. I've danced over 7000 hours in my most comfortable pair, and have had them repaired at least 12 times. The typical cost of repair is 50-100% of the price of new shoes.

Rose likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't thinkk ths is universally true....I think it depends upon where the shoe is hurting and how likely that particular area is to stretch....I have never bought a court shoe that wasn't tight for at least a month and then too loose for just about the rest of the time I wore them...but I have also had shoes where the area in question was some sort of bound edge what wasn't ever going to become less abrasive...I have also had time where the shoe didn't adapt but the foot did...and times when neither adapted....it varies...basically you keep trying new stuff til you find what works ...then buy as many as you can afford

5. danceronice

Leather and they hurt AFTER you've been wearing them? I'd think it's the shape of that shoe. I'd try and find another style. Especially if the pressure's around where you'd get a bunion.

6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

the best advice i have ever gotten for breaking in new shoes is to wear fishnets. (also, if you currently get pedicures, stop. they ruin your feet.)

7. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

fishnets + tight shoes = waffle feet :cool:

8. janineanne

janineanne New Member

Sorry about the delay... my thread got combined with this one and it took me a while to find it!

I don't think I'm in danger of getting bunions from these shoes; they're pretty lightweight (just straps, mostly). And it's not that the straps are too tight - rather, they rub when I dance, making sore spots. When the shoes were new the straps really dug in too; now they only do it a little, just from my weight pushing forward in the shoe.

I'm not used to wearing heels, or dress shoes of any kind; my feet have always blistered very easily so I almost always wear sneakers of some kind. This isn't helping me now, since I have no callouses.

I guess there are two issues: one, I need to build callouses and it doesn't seem to be happening. I just blister in the same spots over and over. And two, the fact that the left shoe blisters worse than the right, and my left foot is larger than my right, makes me wonder if it's too small. But it feels comfortable to put on and walk around, and I'm pretty sure a larger pair would be too loose on the right. So I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

Ultimately I need to have someone who knows what they're doing look at the fit, but I bought them at the best shop around here (I live near Portland, OR) so that may have to wait until I travel to somewhere else.

9. TinyDancer109

if you wear the fishnets while you dance, you will build callouses without cutting up your feet. eventually you wont even need the fishnets anymore. avoid pedicures like the plague.

10. danceronice

Re: Pedicures, I don't get them often, but on the odd occasion I do, I really emphasize "Leave my callouses alone, I need them, I'm a dancer." And the aestheticians actually seem to get this, and then of course they ask about dancing! Trying to build them, though, I'd definitely skip the pedicures, and you might just have to suffer through the blisters to get them...

11. janineanne

janineanne New Member

Is there a brand of soft fishnets you would recommend? I've only worn them a few times and it wasn't terribly comfortable, so I must not have had the soft ones.

I have only had one pedicure in recent memory so I don't think that's the problem.

12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I personally only use the heavy-duty (55% lycra) Capezio fishnets with solid foot bottoms, and I certainly wouldn't consider them "soft", but their ability to hold everything in place is unmatched. I suppose cheaper fishnets with lower spandex content would be softer, maybe some of the cheezy ones you see in stores around Halloween time. Perhaps thin trouser socks in a fishnet weave would suit your purpose if you're wearing slacks.

13. fascination

am with you..if I am going to bother with hose, I am going to get the heavy duty stuff that actually holds stuff in :)...while it may feel mildly binding, it's worth it..though I do like the feel of dancing without them in terms of how I apparently use my toes

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This. In spades.

15. janineanne

janineanne New Member

While I need holding in as much as the next gal, I can't stand the heavy duty stuff. Especially this time of year; the place we dance the most is not very well air conditioned, and most of the women are wearing capri yoga pants and tank tops. Of course, most of the WCS dancers are quite a bit younger than me, too, but I pretend not to notice that. ;)

I'm going to go see if I can find some bamboo socks in knee-high, in some wild colors so they look like a fashion statement and not just a dork wearing socks with short pants. Bamboo is very soft and usually very thin. But I still want to get to a point where I can wear my shoes barefoot! So any tips on building up callouses would be welcome.

16. fascination

walk around your house and yard barefoot as often as possible

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I disagree with it entirely. I'm sure it depends at least somewhat on why exactly they're not comfortable. Whenever I get a new pair of shoes, regardless of the type, brand or specific pair, I get ugly blisters on my ankles. I bought a new pair of standard shoes a bit less than a month ago. Within the first 30 minutes of wearing them, I was limping. Badly. (For whatever reason, my left ankle typically does worse than my right heel.) By the third day, I couldn't wear them for more than about 15 minutes before the pain became too great for me to keep going in that pair.

It's taken a bit longer than I'd hoped due to the holidays (and my not getting as much dancing in as I'd hoped), but they're finally getting to the point where I can wear them for extended periods without pain. It helps to know one's own feet, of course. I had several people try to tell me, "umm, I'm pretty sure that's not actually normal". But for me, it is.

Rose likes this.
  18. TinyDancer109

My current pair of RR shoes are the most comfortable i have ever owned. They definitely didnt start that way though - i got all sorts of blisters in different places with them but after breaking them in/building immunity to the problem areas by wearing fishnets, i can easily wear them barefoot for several hours without blisters.

Of course, there are SOME shoes that you will never be able to break in because they just aren't the right shape for YOUR feet.

pygmalion likes this.
  19. janineanne

janineanne New Member

I also think it depends on why they're not comfortable, and also on your specific feet. In my case, my feet blister very, very easily, and always have. I've gone to wearing socks with my shoes and they're fine that way, so it's not a fit issue, it's a "thin skin" issue. I don't really want to have to wear socks, but I don't seem to have a choice. So I got bright rainbow socks... if you can't beat them, join them, or something like that! :)

If anyone has any suggestions for reducing blister-prone-ness, I'm all ears. Though I think it's probably impossible.

Rose likes this.
  20. raindance

raindance Active Member

One thing you can try is to vary your socks. So, for instance, you could gradually try thinner and thinner socks over time. Or you could wear your usual socks (that you know you can wear without getting blisters) most of the time, but switch to something thinner (either somewhat thinner socks, or something like knee highs or hose) for just 10-15 minutes at the end of a session. Over time you may be able to build up to being able to wear thinner socks or hose for longer periods of time, or for whole sessions.

What I would be aiming for is to pick a combination of sock thinness and how long you are wearing them that at worst irritates your feet a bit (maybe leaves some reddened areas when you take your shoes off) but that does not leave you with any actual blisters. Then hopefully you can build from there.

Otherwise, of course, if you are blistering in specific spots, you can always try adding padding to the shoe (moleskin, molefoam, gel pads, etc) in those spots, or adding various coverings to your skin (bandaids, blister prevention pads, tape, etc etc). You've probably tried all of that though, I am guessing.