Ouch!! New Shoes!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TinyDancer109, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i also like putting liquid bandage AKA newskin on my problem areas. looks disgusting but helps a LOT especially if your cuts/blisters arent closed yet
  2. janineanne

janineanne New Member

Oh yes. :) I was taping like crazy, and often had to stop to reapply after the tape had come unstuck or rolled up and became a problem itself rather than a solution. This was starting to really annoy my husband, which is why I resorted to the socks. At least now I don't have to stop multiple times per night to tend to my feet!

I like the liquid bandage idea, but I wonder if it would come off on the shoes? My shoes now have tape residue in them from the tape rolling up, and that just makes them stick to my skin even more.

The ever-shrinking socks is a good idea too, if I have the patience for it! :)
  3. TinyDancer109

if you allow the liquid bandage a few mins to dry before dancing right away, it will only flake off and not stain your shoes at all (kind of like crazy glue after its dried on your skin).

It sounds odd, but the method i found least painful and most effective was putting the liquid bandage on the problem areas and then wearing fishnets. Eventually, after some weeks, the shoes are broken in and i dont need fishnets and i only use liquid bandage. Eventually, my feet become immune enough that i no longer even need the liquid bandage and my feet can "go commando" in the shoes. lol

again, this is all assuming you are avoiding pedicures like a good girl! lol
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Why do you recommend avoiding pedicures tiny dancer? I actually find that I get too much of a callous and need a pedicure to remove some ( not all) of it, or the ball of my feet start to hurt. Not to mention just the nice soak, massage, etc, etc of a pedicure.
    As far as new shoes, for me, I have learnt the hard way that if I try on a shoe and it feels too tight, but I buy it anyway thinking it will feel better in time... it doesn't. So now I buy a shoe that fits, but feels comfortable when I try it on.
    For blisters: I use moleskin on susceptible areas, but since I started wearing shoes that fit up front, rather than shoes that felt tight when I bought them, my blister problem has resolved!
  5. janineanne

janineanne New Member

I think I actually have more problems with shoes being too loose than too tight - it's the rubbing that does me in.

I do get pedicures occasionally, but I didn't get them for years and still had this problem so I don't think they are at fault. I do tell them to skip the paraffin treatment, and the scrubbing they do is around the bottom edge of my heel where I don't get blisters. This has literally been a lifelong problem - I remember being upset as a child because I had to wear tights with my Mary Janes even in the summer (am I remembering that right? those patent-leather dress shoes all girls wore in the 70s) or my feet would get all torn up. They never seem to callous, even if they get blistered in the same place over and over again.

Tiny Dancer, I am curious about the fishnets. Is there a particular reason you wear those, or are they just your style? Do you think regular hose or tights would work as well?
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sort of off topic, but, since you asked, here's a picture of a girl wearing Mary Janes. I used to love them back in the seventies myself. I find this picture a little strange, but it's the only one I could find of a teen. Other than that it was women's heels and wedges or toddler shoes. Apparently, Mary Janes are no longer the go-to shoes for girls of all ages. lol[​IMG]
  7. TinyDancer109

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor - all recommendations/opinions given are based on personal experience and research.

I recommend not getting pedicures because your feet need the callouses in order to protect you from getting cut up. I used to have feet that were always getting blisters and cuts until I stopped getting pedicures.

FYI, the painful callous on the ball of your foot is probably an indication that your shoes are too big. (source: http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/musculoskeletal/everyday-foot-problems1.htm)
  8. TinyDancer109

Your experience as a child sounds a lot like mine. My feet were always getting blistered and cut up from any shoes i wore.

I cant tell from posts on the internet, but if you think your problem is rubbing from shoes being too loose... you should probably look into buying a smaller pair. Shoes that are too loose destroy your feet. The shoes should be "too tight" on you compared to how you buy your street shoes. Snug and perhaps a little uncomfortable. They will eventually stretch once you start wearing them with your fishnets.

To answer your question, I dont recommend using regular hose because they are too slippery in your shoe and too protective of your feet. The fishnets will allow your feet to build callouses in problem areas while breaking in your shoes. And if you use liquid bandage, that should protect the current blisters and allow them to heal.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor - all recommendations/opinions given are based on personal experience and research.
  9. janineanne

janineanne New Member

pygmalion - Yes, those are close. My memory is vague but I'm pretty sure they were from Buster Brown. All patent leather, with a low heel and I think a buckle, no strap. I had my last pair when I was about 10 - 11 and grew out of their largest size. I loved them, even though they killed my feet!

tinydancer - buying shoes to fit exactly is a challenge. I've purchased many which were just a bit snug and then never stretched enough. OTOH, I've also had some stretch too much. My feet are also different sizes - not enough to require buying two pairs, but enough that one shoe is almost always snugger or looser than the other.

It's an ongoing process... I have one pair now that is comfortable and requires no tape, but they only fit with socks - they would be too big without. I can wear my WCS shoes barefoot, if I can toughen up my feet enough.

I'm also having to get used to wearing heels for the first time in my life; I never really learned how to wear them and my feet are still adjusting. The balls of my feet get sore after a while. But it's getting better, slowly.

Thanks for the tips and ideas - this forum is a great resource!
  10. TinyDancer109

Don't get discouraged - I think everyone has one foot slightly larger that the other. Also, how many different brands have you tried? IME, Ray Rose has different styles for just about every foot shape (i.e. narrow feet, regular heel/wide ball, etc.) I also hear great things about Aida
  11. janineanne

janineanne New Member

Let's see... I have some fancy dance shoes from Werner Kern, and a pair of "standard" WCS shoes from Anna Kern. I also have another pair of fancy ones from Coast that I haven't tried yet. The shoes I'm wearing most right now are an oxford style from Coast, and they fit pretty well (but would be too big without socks).

I think it's more a style of shoe problem than a fit issue, combined with the peculiarities of my feet. I have trouble with the Werner Kern shoes because they have a peekaboo toe, and the edges of the opening dig into the sides of my toes, just like the straps do on my WCS shoes. I'm pretty sure that any other shoe of the same style would do the same thing. It's probably less of an issue for women who wear shoes of that style on a regular basis, but I live in running shoes so my feet are always a bit shocked when forced to wear any sort of dress shoe. :)

Another question about the fishnets - is there a brand you prefer?
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Has anyone been able to stretch a pair of court shoes? I got this new pair of court shoes, and they cut into my foot at the top of the big toe (where the edge of the shoe is closest to where the big toe starts, not sure if I am describing that clearly). It's the brand I normally buy, and I haven't had this problem with the previous pair, but it's been some time since I needed to buy a pair, so it's possible that a) the manufacturer has changed something or b) I got older and my feet changed somehow, and I didn't notice it because this is the first new pair I've got in a while. I think if the edge stretched out/softened a bit, it would help. I saw a shoe stretching spray online, but it seems to be meant for leather. Any suggestions?
  13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol, and put it on your foot over the spot that rubs. Then put the shoe on, leaving the cotton ball in place. Pop in a movie, or paint your nails, or troll on DF with the shoe on until the cotton ball dries. Repeat as needed until that part is sufficiently stretched.

I had to go through this process twice on my last pair - my current pair of shoes was fine right out of the box.
  14. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

*bump*
    Got very painful heel blisters from trying to break Supadance leather shoes. Really painful. Showcase in 2 weeks. Do not want to wear practice “slippers” even they are the most comfortable shows I ever had.

How do you deal with heel blisters healing fast?
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Blister band-aides are the best. They make the blisters heal up so much faster.
  16. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I use a multi way approach, 1st, liquid bandage, 2nd blister band aid, and 3rd,............although not the most style savy is wear socks! socks help to keep the blister band aid on and prevents further chafing.