Pantyhose revisited

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Jul 7, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

There's a long thread about pantyhose and undies in general, as it pertains to dance, but I'm deliberately starting another due to lots of highjacking, etc.

Just curious. When I first started dancing ballroom, the common wisdom was that everybody should wear fishnets for competitions.

Well. It's been a while, and I've seen many a bare leg on the dance floor. Just wondering if the fishnet tradition is dying. Also wondering if women from dance disciplines other than ballroom and ballet bother wearing hose at all. Like I said, I've seen loooots of bare legs.

Anybody have an opinion?

Mine? Two words. Control. Top. :shock: lol: So whether I wear hose depends on a lot of factors, like whether I'm on an up or a down swing, weight-wise, what my dress or skirt looks like, etc.

Thoughts?
  2. kckc

kckc Active Member

Panty hose? Not a chance in you-know-where. Fishnets? Used to say I'd never be caught dead in them. Now, at an age where my legs and tummy aren't what they never were anyway, I feel funny without them. They are certainly a tool of the devil, manufactured as a torture device by men who don't have to wear them! I've seen women who can pull off the bare look, but I don't recommend it :)
  3. pygmalion

Fishnets = a cellulite bearer's friend.

I make no admissions. Just sayin. :lol:
  4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Fishnets forever. Some women may be okay with their jiggly bits jiggling but not me.
  5. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Okay, still new to this whole competitive ballroom thing...

So do you generally wear tights and then a colored brief over the top so it doesn't look like you're not wearing underwear when your skirt twirls up?
  6. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

When I was dancing rhythm I started wearing fishnets and preferred wearing them to not. Now I'm only dancing smooth and it matters less to me. Sure, the skirt twirls up, but my upper legs are generally visible for shorter amounts of time than in rhythm.

I might sometimes wear them still, but it may depend on the dress. I found that, with my last dress, wearing fishnets seemed to make the dress sit lower on my hips (either because the dress slid more against the fishnets as opposed to bare skin, or because the fishnets sucked everything in just a little bit more so the waist naturally sat lower) and I was more likley to step on the hem of my skirt.

Getting a new dress soon...so we'll see.

Ash, yes, I would wear dance shorts or brief over the tights if the skirt of dress doesn't have a built in body suit.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

always the safest bet (fishnets that is and a colored panty)
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

This, not least because my Rhythm pro, at least, "strongly encourages" all his ladies to wear them. Even those who IMO don't have any jiggly bits to worry about.

I might wear hose or dance tights under a smooth gown, but for Rhythm and Latin it's fishnets forever. And yes, I wear they heavy Capezios (and I STILL manage to destroy them. Another good reason not to wear hose, I LOOK at them and they get ladders.)
  9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmmm, I once had a coach/judge who insisted that ladies dancing Rhythm-Latin style should always wear fishnets for the presentation of the discipline. Ok, so I tried it - not bad - although a bit uncomfortable for me. As for smooth and standard - bareleg. After a few years, I tried wearing hosiery at OSB comp- and it seemed ok at first. I'm fine without-once was enough for me.
  10. kckc

kckc Active Member

I finally had to replace my Capezios after 2+ years! I tried to destroy them because they are so freakin' uncomfortable. My rhythm pro "strongly encourages" his women to wear fishnets also. They do give a nice look from a distance, especially when you have legs the color of sour cream to begin with.
  11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

meh, my pro and coach dont seem to care either way for me. I used to wear them @ comps solely because my shoes would cut my feet if i didnt (which is fine for 5 heats, but not 25 heats).

Anyways, not too long ago i got a new rhythm/latin dress... and its sort of a 2 piece with a scarf-like thing connecting them. i just thought it was odd-looking wearing fishnets with a 2 piece, so i havent worn them when using that costume. My feet seem to have toughened up a bit since then.

Smooth, i will use fishnets if my shoes are still relatively new and cut my feet.

ETA: Color isnt an issue for me... i am fairly tan.
  12. fascination

first pro was adamant about it...second pro could not care less...for me it's a multifactored descision...invloving many things already said...how dark my legs are, the cut of the costume, how long I am dancing...the heat of the locale...the soreness of my feet, the characteristic of my shoes
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I wear them in rhythm because I can never get my legs to tan as dark as my shoes, and the fishnets seem to make up for the difference on color.
  14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

That is another good point--my arms always come out darker than my legs. Fishnets hide that.
  15. DancerGA

DancerGA New Member

I always find hose to be uncomfortable but wear them anyway. The tight waistband, especially control tops, just make bulges elsewhere. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution? There's no way to get by without them as I need the color.
  16. fascination

I only wear fishnets if anything...the waistband can be cut
  17. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Yes, cut the wasteband off. Fishnets are usually tight enough to stay up without, if they're a dance brand.
  18. pygmalion

I think fishnets are the work of the devil, but a necessary evil. I'm not worried about tanning, but those suckers sure do minimize obvious jiggly bits.

Somebody (don'r remember who) told me that she wears regular pantyhose under fishnets, wich helps her prevent the fishnets from creating those yucky triangular indentations in her legs. Never tried that myself. One pair of hose is enough for me. Thank you very much.

Just figured I'd share the tip.

And as for hose, and specifically control top (a la I have a squishy belly -- ask my oh-too-honest son. He'll tell ya. :lol:) The one thing I hate about them is that they tend to have a dark colored, incredibly long "panty" area that extends far too low on the leg for the hose to be useful for dancing.

There are a couple of makers -- Burlington and No Nonsense, IIRC, who make control top sheer to waist hose. Can't remember what they're called. Love em.
  19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I buy them a size too large and can pull the long "panty" area up to be concealed under my dance pants.

Try. Inquiring minds want to know.
  20. pygmalion

I'll take a look around. :cool: