Para Para Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Sep 11, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

There seems to be a new style of dancing called Para Para. I believe it originated in Japan. It's kind of like country line dancing but involves for arm movements, while the footwork is simple (side to side usually).

Here is an Article about Para Para:
    Here is the full text on iVenus.com
    And here are some Para Para video clips.
  2. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

I thought para para was just another music/dancing video game (para para paradise). I didn't know it was an actual dance style.
  3. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I never thought of para para as a new form of dance -- it's just having set moves (arm movements) to specific songs, sort of like Macarena & Asereje, but done to Europop-type songs. Para para has been around in Japan for decades, though para para dancing classes, instructional videos and the game Sanityhaven mentioned are all fairly recent phenomena.
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I will say this bluntly- I think this is the lamest kind of dance I have ever witnessed and was popular about 5 years ago in Japan. Scantily-clad teenagers with tanning-studio tans and heavy white eyemake-up & lipstick (a la the minstrels of yesteryear) would stand there, expressionless, and do insipid arm-waving motions to techno-style Japanese pop tunes. This fad makes as much sense to me as pachinko, another hobby that can be enjoyed if one is brain-dead, although the crowd is older. Thank heavens this fad went out as quickly as it started(lasted an entire year!). :twisted: The "Juliana Disco Boom" in Japan's economic heyday of the late 80's was at least creative, sexy and the dancers actually had expressions on their faces!
  5. kyah

kyah New Member

Just because someone doesnt like the macarena. hehehe.

Thanks for the link Admin person. Of course im none of the above. I am however in love with Eurobeat and with every type of music maybe there is a certain way to dance to the music.

Again thank so so much. :)
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df Kyah! :D You are right. There are many people who love different types of dance. The great thing about df is that we are free to share our opinions and have conversations as long as we do it in a repectful manner. Hope to see more of you around. :)
  7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Your welcome. I ran across your site a while back, and I had never heard of Para Para dancing. Do you know if anyone in Atlanta does it?
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is going to sound weird, I know, but when I saw the title of this thread, I though of paraplegics, and I thought it was going to be about wheelchair dancing. I wonder where the term "para para" came from. :?
  9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I seem to recall hearing or reading that white has some of the connotations for the Japanese that black does for Europeans, mainly as the color associated with death. So would mean that that was a Japanese "goth" thing?
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

A dead person in Japan is presented in the casket(before cremation, as everyone is cremated here) in a white robe.
    There are some "goths" here, but they wear black. The Japanese twist to this goth fashion is what they call "Goth loli"("Lolita" style gothic) where the girls wear what I think looks like Little Bo Peep fashion in black with spider web prints... :shock: & :x
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I don't understand the appeal of goth at all. :?
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You should see the "Goth Lolis". I was going to say what a bunch of losers but then I remember some of the stuff I wore when I was hanging out at Grateful Dead concerts or going to the "Exotic Erotic Ball" in San Francisco every year. More of the same... :lol:
  13. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

The explanation I heard was that the name was coined by night club staff who observed the early para para dancers of the 80's (before the name stuck) singing "para parappa-pa-pa-pa..." to the intro of A-Ha's "Take on Me" as they danced. I've no idea if this is true.
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Never heard that one, MacMoto! I always thought it came from some Japanese onomatopoeic phrase like "boro boro" "fuwa fuwa" or "nuru nuru" :lol: .
  15. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

That's another explanation I've come across, but I'm not sure how the dance can be described onomatopeically as "para para"... :eyebrow:
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Hands flailing and fluttering could properly describe "para para", could it not?
  17. BeefHero

BeefHero New Member

Interesting post...

I think cocodrilo's view on para para is based on its complexity (is there one?). Para para is just going side to side with some random hand movements. To us dancers, even a simple cross body lead takes more effort and thinking than para para. Therefore, it is easy for para para to be sneered at.

I think you have to look at it from a cultural view. There is something we don't know in the Japanese society that evolves into this kind of dance and makes it popular.

Heck, a lot of people here in America think hip-hop is cool stuff, but it may not be so in Europe. It all depends on how we look at it.

To be honest, when I first saw para para, it felt like tai bo... or some other common physical exercises that are popular on American tv. I saw it pretty often on Asian tv channels, and people that were dancing seem to be having fun. Isn't that the point of dancing in general?
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

The dance appealed to teens and people in their very early 20's as it was effortless, and there was also appeal to the simple, repetitive music. Indeed it does reflect largely on this culture as the youngsters in Japan nowadays just want to have fun at their parents' cost and not think about the future. I have not heard of anyone doing para-para for at least 5 years now. There is a 70's-80's disco revival that is hitting the major cities at the moment. Hip-hop is still popular among the teens as well as folks in their 20's & 30's. Ballroom is booming with the retirement-age folks, and here & there people are getting addicted to salsa! I have lived in Japan for 19 years and have noticed the evolutions of many dance styles. It is actually quite interesting!
  19. mambo_munkey

mambo_munkey New Member

You know, I was never much for Para Para. I'm familiar with it in terms of the machines they have around here by bemani called Para Para Paradise. Truthfully I felt pretty silly attempting to play the game. I was always a bigger fan of DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) That game requires a bit more foot-eye coordination and in my opinnion had much better songs. :arrow: :D
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I was just talking to some people about that Dance Dance Revolution vidoe game and they said they "don't have those anymore". It was very popular a few years back and I think it was a great invention as it helped a lot of video game nerds stay in shape!(There was a home version that proved very popular!)