Parallel/Offset (Shadow?) breaks - Rumba

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by etp777, Sep 19, 2008.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

OK, FADS syllabi has step called parallel or offset breaks (one starts with a crossbody lead) that I have a question on. When I normally do it, I, as guy, step forward for each break in between our bodies. First with left, then right, etc(and back into facing each other with second quick and slow). Are these breaks ever done where guy steps backwards, and woman steps forward? was playing around with putting together a few elements today, and at one spot, think that would make a cool change from normal way we do it.

Hope I explained that well enough for the question to make sense, even if it means answer is no. :)

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

NADTA syllabus has offset breaks fwd and offset breaks bwd. Both are commonly used.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thanks much, Larinda. Now we'll see if I can lead them. :) Better pick a follow i have a good connection with. And someone who actually FOLLOWS, doesn't just do patterns they havememorized.

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

are you talking about shadow breaks where the guy has a foot fake?

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

maybe not. I only found term shadow by googling parallel breaks (was trying to see if there were other names). Saw that come up at least once. Parallel and offset are names we use. Going to catch last half of party now, going to see if I can catch pro for a rumba and try it out. :)

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

And123, I'm having several FA teachers over toMorrow, so can ask if it's an important distinction. But definitely called parallel breaks in old FA social foundation syllabus (maybe in current, haven't looked) and offset breaks in the social bronze syllabus. The breaks themselves are the same. Parallel breaks starts with half box and side together side. Offset breaks start with a full box and then crossbody lead doing a 180 straight back. Endings differ to. But my question is about the breaks themselves, and seems to match larinda's answer. Didn't get to try it with pro tonight, but will try next week, or maybe yet with one of friends tomorrow. Sadly, even if new little pattern works, can't use it at next comp as I.m doing closed rumba, and this element and one other in patten aren't in any FA syllabus, at least up to level my entries are at.

7. Larinda McRaven

No and123 not shadow. Offset or parallel breaks are still in closed facing position, when one person is doing like a x-over and the partner is doing a promenade break at the same time.

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thank you for translating my uninformed bronze syllabus FA studnet speech into something everyone can understand, Larinda. :)

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

OK, the "shadow"? in your title was throwing me off. I thought maybe you meant breaks in sweetheart position. I think I learned what you are describing as "outside breaks" (forward or backward).

10. Larinda McRaven

Yup, same pattern.

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Good thing my pro doesn't read DF. Just realized while I was running some errands today that I already do bwd offset breaks in one of my syllabus patterns. In fact, it's one we were just working on in lesson this week, as I'm using it in my rumba entries in the competition. Oops. :)