Parenting quandary(s) Need input

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Dec 21, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

DS greeted this revelation with shock and awe. IOW, this fact elicited a rare, "That's cool, Mom!" from my blase, blase teen.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, I've read multiple articles about economists finding work in the world of MMORPG design. (A quick Google search turns up plenty of results; I didn't click through them--because I'm lazy--to find one of the articles that really stood out to me.) One guy I'm thinking of had had a career in the monetary/financial/economic systems of Europe somewhere, and transitioned from that to working for one of the big game designers. It makes sense--the games employ shockingly real-world economic theories throughout them. In the article, Mr. Guy was talking about how it can essentially function as an econ lab, where real economic principles can be put into practice and tested, all without crashing actual live economies. Granted, they can wreak havoc with virtual economies, but there you go.

When DH talks to me about WoW (at great length, whether I want him to or not, LOL) most of it is boring as [poo] to me. I don't give a rat's butt about gear or damage or battles or bosses or strategy or anything else. But what does interest me is the economic system they've got going on. Fascinating stuff. (Because I'm a dork.)

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

4. Peaches

Not the actual article I was thinking about, but an example of one of the many of them.

5. pygmalion

Just putting it out there, P. You are a Dork with a capital D. This is (one of the many reasons) why we love you.

I'm not even remotely surprised by all this, just judging by DS's friends -- a bunch of Big Band Theory candidates. Brilliant kids who unwind by playing massive multiplayer online dealies. It's what smart guys (and gals) do. *shrug* I'm too old to understand the dynamic but it is what it is. Smart people rule the world... or at least parts of it. :)

6. Peaches

Yup! I don't even try to pretend otherwise anymore. Heh, one of my favorite experiences in recent years was going to the National Tax Association conference: several days of nothing but presentations about the intersection of taxation and economic theory. Public policy, essentially. I was absolutely in Dork Heaven. And we got to go inside the Chicago Fed! So cool.

pygmalion likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So they're all Glenn Miller fans?

8. pygmalion

lol.Oops.

Actually, DS's BFF IS into retro music and dance, but that's not what I meant,silly man, as I'm sure you know. Oh! What a hoot!

9. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

The world is ruled by smart people that know how to manage and motivate even smarter people.

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, but when he says he's into retro, I'm sure it's more like Flock of Seagulls or Klymaxx. ;)

j_alexandra likes this.
  11. toothlesstiger

It was a sad day for me when they were playing music from when I was in my thirties, and the teachers called it "retro". :(

12. pygmalion

As my beloved, late grandmom used to sell, "It's hell getting old." Funny thing is that, at the time, I tried to convince her she was wrong. Little did I know.

13. pygmalion

Not a quandary, just a note that probably fits better in this thread than any other. Not sure how many parents of young children there are in DF, but you never know who might be lurking. :cool:

I heard on NPR late last week that the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed its recommendation in terms of prescription of antibiotics for ear infections in young children. it's now recommending that antibiotics be prescribed only after time has passed, in which the infection might clear up on its own. An exception would be made for severe infections (the news story gave details of what severe means, but I don't remember.)

During the story, the issue was raised of how this might affect working parents. No way you could take a feverish, screaming infant to daycare, for example. There was, IMHO, no good answer for that one. The other issue that was raised was the hassle and expense of having to make multiple doctor visits for one illness. The answer to that? Parents might be given a script, "just in case" the infection doesn't clear up on its own in a few days. Hmm. i have my thoughts on that, too, but I should probably keep my mouth shut.

In any case, just wanted to share the info with parents of young/youngish children. the next time your little 'un gets sick, they might get slightly different treatment at the pediatrician.

14. pygmalion

I should probably add that, even though it wasn't an ear infection and DS is by no means an infant, I went through this very thing with DS last week. We knew he was seriously ill by Saturday night/ Sunday morning, but opted to wait it out and see if he could throw off the infection on his own. He couldn't.

If I'd taken DS to the doctor when I first knew he was sick, he'd have missed one, maybe two, days of school. I followed the AAP guidelines and waited before getting antibiotics. He missed five days of school.

Sucks. Short answer: Work on improving your immune system, so you don't get sick. *sigh*

15. toothlesstiger

There are good health arguments for being very conservative with the use of antibiotics. These include the risk of superbugs developing if the full course isn't followed (quite common that people stop taking them once symptoms subside), and they play merry hell with the microbiome, your ecosystem of passengers that provide all sorts of benefits when correctly populated and working correctly.

I have become a fan of megadoses of Vitamin D3. I don't get much sun. Until I started the D3 megadoses, I was getting wretched colds every winter (I have a small disease vector child at home.) Since taking a minimum of 5000 IU per day of D3, I haven't caught a cold in the last 4 years.

samina likes this.
  16. pygmalion

Yes. I understand why the recommendation is to go easy on antibiotics. When DS was an infant, he got so many ear infections that the pediatrician stopped prescribing the first level antibiotic. She went straight for Augmentin every time. That's not good. What if he'd gotten seriously ill? What would she have been able to prescribe, since she'd already pulled out the big guns, so to speak?

It's just hard to be a working parent of a screaming infant, with a prescription in hand, who is supposed to wait it out, knowing that relief is mere hours away, if you give the baby the meds. I think that, danger of super bugs notwithstanding, most parents would cave in and medicate. I could be wrong, of course. :D

DS relapsed after one day back at school, btw. The PA at urgent care thinks he may have developed pneumonia; off to the doctor or perhaps ER later today to find out. This time, I want to get him the big time drugs. It sounds like he's going to cough up an internal organ. *sigh* When we get this cleared up, whatever it is, I'll look into getting him some dietary supplements to boost his immune system. That's a valuable observation. I appreciate it.

17. toothlesstiger

You've got to do what it takes to get through. Wasn't trying to criticize parents that go the route of medicating. Always better to do it informed of all the options and why, though.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Thumbs up on the D3 supplements. Have good things to say about those, which I take regularly.

Just spent 5 days on my back with an extremely aggressive respiratory thing -- whatever it was, it came blasting with AK47s. That I'm bouncing back from it without having taken antibiotics or steroidal meds, I'll give general credit to the D3 and other helpful things I take to jack up my immune system. But gee whiz, didn't it just get a run for my money...

19. pygmalion

Yes. I agree with both of you. Funny thing is, when I had DS at the doctor last week, I was sick, too, but opted out of getting myself treated. I'd rather wait for my body to heal itself, if it's going to. Learned that when I was pregnant with DS and took ZERO medicine, unless you count lots of purified water as medicine (which some people might. ;) )

I just didn't want to come across as if I'm condemning parents who give their babies the meds. BTDT. It is horrible to have a five-month (or five-year or fifteen-year old) child in pain. All you want to do is ease their suffering.

I just wanted to share the info. I am glad that the AAP standards have changed. I think it's been way too easy for me to get prescription drugs for DS. Sometimes he's really needed meds; other times meds were convenient for the doctors and for me.

I wish our society was more like societies in some other parts of the world, where working parents get support for taking care of sick kids. Here, it's hit or miss, but, IMHO, far too often miss. *sigh*

20. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Bought my 16 yo daughter her first cell phone for her birthday. Yes, I know. Many of you are thinking, "She's 16 and is just now getting a cell???" But I saw no reason for her to have a phone until she started driving. Call me old-fashioned. Anyway, they have this cool feature that lets you locate the phone wherever in the world it is. AND, even better, will give you a geographic plot of where it's been for the past seven days. With my first daughter I dreamed of being able to implant a locator chip into her body so I could see if she really was where she was supposed to be. Now, 15 years later, I have such a locator for my youngest daughter, which might as well be implanted since I'm sure there's no way she's going to let that phone out of her grip. This really is the coolest thing. It's like growing up in my small hometown and everyone knows you (and tells your mom where you've been) only now it's all electronic!