Paso

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

I LOVE PASO!!!! Im not sure why but I just do. Even the basic syllabus stuff I enjoy. I always shockingly do well in it also. But I do love watching the pros dance it. Its just pretty different from most of the latin dances. Its very dramatic and there is just something about it that I LOVE. :D :shock:
  2. TAK

TAK Member

Just wondering... my partner and I had never done a step of paso before we started learning an open routine. :shock: Since USAD and NDCA don't offer the dance below champ level, I would guess that this is common among amateur couples. Anyone else skip syllabus paso completely?
  3. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I just did Bronze and Silver Paso a few times and went to straight to Open choreography. But, the basic of Paso is quite simple compare to other dances. That's my thinking. Postures and Walks are very important as much as presentation. Being a follower, I keep reminding me that I am a cape. Lol.....
  4. People don't get screwed up because the dance is done in phrases. So even if there are songs that are variations to it, they are still able to follow the music.
  5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, this is very common. Collegiate events usually offer a "Syllabus Paso" event for anyone who wants to do it, but it usually has few takers exactly for that reason. By the time you've made your way through the other dances, picking up Paso isn't such a stretch. Just figure out where your heel leads are :D
  6. It's funny because before I learnt the Paso, I didn't really care for it (watching I mean). But ever since I learnt the dance and understood the meaning behind it, I think it's soooo sooo sooo beautiful. And now, it's probably one of my favourite dances to watch! I love the dramatic music (hate the Blackpool version of the song) and the shapes that the couples create. I just practiced some last night :)

I love watching Maurizio and Melinda - I think they are always phenomenal at this dance. From their basic walks to the characters in the dance. If you guys haven't seen this video, you should watch it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ylrmv4XaI)
    Maurizio's suspenders unhooked on one side (0:20). Not only was he able to finish the whole dance, he incorporated it into his routine lol. Some say he did it on purpose and others say it was a mere accident....either way, only he could pull that off!

I also like Tatsiana's and Rachel's older Pasos (not sure how I feel about them doing it now).
  7. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Maurizio's body is made for this dance. The line on the back of his head to shoulders gives him an advantage for this dance already. Lol.....
  8. TAK

TAK Member

No kidding! How the hell does he get that shape? Wow. That's a brilliant video, thanks for sharing!

I love flamenco so I think paso may become one of my favorites...and we're ten-dancers so hopefully that will help with the shaping and heel leads and everything. It's just a little :shock: to be starting from scratch! Coach was like "you know this line I'm talking about"..."you know what this should look like, right"..."you know how to do a twist turn?" and we were like :shock: :shock: haha.
  9. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Glad to see a paso thread reborn; I beleive that it is a great dance....albeit, often danced poorly...too syllabic; too hard (harsh); technique lost for theatrics; lack of understanding (roots...dancing not theology). Keep it up; i'm interested in others' thoughts on PD.
  10. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Yep. A beautiful dance indeed. Exactly you mentioned here that some people dance too hard(harsh). I don't know the name of person who made comments for Pro's latin final in 2007 blackpool, but she commented exactly the same as you described here for Brian and Carmen's Paso. "Very strong, but still soft, not harsh". I did not understand at the moment, but being a cape:)raisebro:), it shouldn't be danced hard, I think.
  11. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

I learned the paso in 1963. Since then I have encountered it exactly TWICE in social dances. Both times it was in one of those "round the world" mixer dances.
  12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

You don't like Paul Killick and Hanna Katunnan? These are the best Paso dancers in my bookk.
  13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

According to Johan Eftedal, one of the greatest Paso dancers, Paso is, on the contrary to the popular belief, a sensual and romantic dance. Powerful steps are usually followed by soft steps.
  14. contracheck

contracheck New Member

IMHO, "dancing in phrases" is the exact reason why Paso is impossible to dance in social party. Paso usually follows the following beats:
    8, 8. 8. 8. 4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 3 (1st Hi Lite),
    8, 10, 8, 6, 8, 8, 8, 8, 5 (2nd Hi Lite),
    8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 5 (3rd Hi Lite).

In social setting, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to follow this pattern. If you miss one beat, it's difficult to catch it up when the music is continuing at a merciless speed. Dancers screw up the remainder of the dance and you have to walk away without finishing.
  15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I know why: Because you're a passionate person. Passionate people with easy-to-boil blood love Paso. This is not a dance for lukewarm faint hearts.
  16. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Twice? You are lucky!:lol:
  17. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

That's true. Easy-to-boil blood......:confused: The same reason that I love Tango in Standard. LoL......
  18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The people who like Paso usually like Tango, too. Both have marching beats and expression of passion, love and hate.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

love tango...loathe paso
  20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I like tango, not sold on paso yet. And there is certainly a feel of relation between Tango, paso and flamenco. To quote dancepro's lovely analogy of the three again:

"The Flamingo was the dance that enticed the man to get interested in the women. She would either do the dance alone or dance around the man as the center of her attention. She would try to temp him to get interested in her and eventually ask her to marry. The first meeting/s and interaction/s between man and women.

The Paso Double was the man's dance. He would out act the action of going into the arena and fight the bull. He did that to prove to the future in-laws that he would be able to protect their little girl and to feed the family. It was his proposal to the family. He was basically showing his manhood and that he could take the responsibility of a family.

The Tango was the last dance of this story. It talks about the marriage between the man and the women. It showed all the different interactions that the couple would encounter. My grandfather said "the passion, the good, the bad and the ugly", in short the full spectrum of emotions and interactions in the relationship."