Passion vs Desire

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, Apr 9, 2013.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Saw this distinction:
    "It's not about passion. Passion is something that we tend to overemphasize, that we certainly place too much importance on. Passion ebbs and flows. To me, it's about desire. If you have constant, unwavering desire to be a cook, then you'll be a great cook. If it's only about passion, sometimes you'll be good and sometimes you won't. You've got to come in every day with a strong desire. With passion, if you see the first asparagus of the springtime and you become passionate about it, so much the better, but three weeks later, when you've seen that asparagus every day now, passions have subsided. What's going to make you treat the asparagus the same? It's the desire."

I'd have to agree with that in the tango world, too. I've never seen anyone become a fine dancer without having plenty of desire; to overcome the challenge, for one thing.
    chomsky likes this.
  2. jantango

jantango Active Member

It's still about passion for me. I'm passionate about the music or I wouldn't be dancing.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  3. jfm

jfm Active Member

I just have this image of Jan being pierced by the arm of a gramophone like in Bernini's St Theresa...

(in a good way!)
  4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Simply try to use the german lust instead of those french words and everything will be clear!
    Mr 4 styles and bordertangoman like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

like pomme de terre really??????
  6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

i think that's semantics. Desire ebbs and flows too.

"Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this advice is priceless,' she said. 'Are you listening?'
    'Yes,' said Tiffany.
    'Good. Now ... if you trust in yourself ...'
    'Yes?'
    '... and believe in your dreams ...'
    'Yes?'
    '... and follow your star ...' Miss Tick went on.
    'Yes?'
    '... you'll still get beaten by people who spent THEIR time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy."

Terry Pratchett.
    tangomonkey and chomsky like this.
  7. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Now, don't you wake up the linguist in me! What a nice thread! It made me smile!!!!! (and ponder at the same time...)