Pattern shape for cowl drape?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes. There is a company called something like Evenstar or Eveningstar that makes leather boots for country-western and line dancing. I also saw a pair of line dancing boots on that dancesport.uk.com web site once, I forgot which maker it was under, you'd have to dig around to see if it's still there.

2. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

The problem with cowboy boots is that, while great for C&W, they don't work for ballroom very well.
    You could, if you wanted to, make leather "legwarmer"-looking things, with lace ups on the front that would attach to your dance shoes and make them look like boots...I'm not sure how well would that look go with a floaty standard gown, though. Although, if the said gown is red patent lambskin...
    :lol:

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I thought I saw a pair of kind of "granny boot" looking things for line dancing once, but I can't recall.

Of course, you could just get a pair of fashion boots that work right, and have them re-soled with suede soles!

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

:shock: you are full of ideas!

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

:shock:

6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Comes from almost four years of design schooling, I think. Hey, I once modelled a dress a friend of mine wove...it was 12 pounds of washers and some white string. :shock: Compared to that, I'm really not that wild. :roll: (she still owes me a martini or three for wearing that thing--it was suspended from two thin metal chains on my shoulders! ouch!)

7. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

In my W 39th street wanderings this afternoon, I happened upon some immitation leather that was actually made on a stretch substrate. That might lead to something that wouldn't interfere with foot articulation at all. Now if I could only remember which store it was in... I stapled swatches of fabrics to business cards, but skipped the things I didn't have an immediate interest in.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I have a pair of boots that are leather around the foot and that stretch fake around the ankles and calves.

They're 3 1/2" heels though, so they're impossible for me to dance in, so they wouldn't be good for the dress :)

9. Chris Stratton

I'd be tempted to take a pair of "demoted to practice only" satin court shoes and try covering them with the stretch fake leather, bringing it up the calf.

10. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Chris, you are asking for a shoemaking lecture!

You can't use leather that is too stretchy for shoes because it would stretch too much. It would be a pain to work with, and it wouldn't keep the shape well, so it won't provide a whole lot of support and will look yucky after a very short while. That's why lamb leather isn't very good for shoe making. It's great for garments though--it stretches almost as well as a lycra blend sometimes. You want kidskin at best, or everything else, really. The ONE thing you don't want to use is pig skin, especially as a lining, because pig skin captures sweat smell very well and then releases it in copious amounts, making your shoes stink!!!
    Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread.
    How did that cowl neck work out? :roll: :lol:

11. Chris Stratton

Oh, if I make shoes, they will be men's low heel ones - that's a different project. I was meaning for the high heel dance boots, how about just covering a pair of existing court shoes with the stretch fake leather - or a soft real leather.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

For the serger issue, I'd suggest covering the folding table with a blanket, folded how ever many times you need to dull the resonance of the serger with the table.