Patterns in swing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Swingolder, Dec 17, 2004.

1. blue

blue New Member

I like the "how" explanation.

If you focus on technique, you teach fewer moves and go into detail on them, working on whatever that make people perform them better.
  2. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

This is it exactly! In the class, all the leaders thought -and the instructor thought-they had the moves!!!!!! But the followers were doing the steps. We knew what would be next and did it.

I would like to (and I would like my dh to) learn more technique. I suppose the only way to do that is to do it in private lessons. In the original post, I did say that this was an intermediate ec class and I guess that is what I thought we would be doing. Not just learning patterns.
  3. blue

blue New Member

That was an interesting observation. I wonder if this is why swing classes often look the way they do: possibly they are originally modelled after ballroom classes. I hear people saying that in their scene, there are lots of women in the beginner classes and more women than men at the venues, but more men than women in the more advanced classes. Not strange, if what is being taught almost entirely focus on the leader's perspective.

Personally I can think of many other things of working on that, that I prefer to patterns. Patterns teach me how to do stuff without being led, and I think patterns give me bad habits.

It depends. I have been in classes where quite a lot of technique was taught. I would search if I could find teachers that teach differently.
  4. d nice

d nice New Member

Um, it isn't the followers responsibility to do anything but follow. There are no social dance moves in lindy hop that require the follower to do anything other than:
    1. maintain proper posture
    2. keep a dynamic frame
    3. let the leader begin her movement, alter her direction and increase and retard her momentum
    4. keep her feet moving and under her body
    5. have fun

That is it. Any move that requires the follower to know how to respond is either being lead wrong or is not a social lindy hop move.

About the only real exception to this is Charleston... but then again that is technically a different dance, even though it is included in the lindy hop lexicon.
  5. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

AMEN!
  6. blue

blue New Member

I wonder, are you really talking about the same thing? It is often said that to follow a dance you need certain basic elements of it. I would guess that both eight count and six count steps belong to those basic elements; the rest of the moves are the variation that Alias talks about.

Or?