PBS "America's Ballroom Challenge"

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Indiana_Jay, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I received today the following email reagarding the upcoming PBS program:

Dear Ballroom Dancing fan,

Thank you for signing up for the latest news about America's
    Ballroom Challenge on PBS. This is just a quick note to let you
    know we have added new content to our Web site at
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/ -- including a Q & A with the
    series creator, Aida Moreno, information about the competition and
    dances, and a preview clip from the series. Be sure to check it
    out!

And mark your calendars to tune in for part one "The Trials" on
    Wednesday, February 1 at 8pm on PBS (check local listings).

Keep on dancing!

America's Ballroom Challenge Team
  2. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

So many things to tape
  3. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I hope it's in HD :cool:
  4. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

So we can see the scary makeup up close...I'd rather have my illusions on that :)
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

omg check out the "historical" costumes in the interview portion of the article... esp the latin.
  6. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Wow. Definately should put that ensemble in the "things no one should ever wear" category. And is it just me, or does that moustache look drawn on?!
  7. alemana

alemana New Member

soooo strictly ballroom!
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is so cool! :banana: :D
  9. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

Isn't that the OSB broadcast?

I also saw that ad for "America's Ballroom Challenge". It is on Feb 1 at 8 pm. I had previously been told that this year's Ohio Star Ball was going to be on on two nights- Feb 1 and Feb 8. (Two nights because the professional finals in all 4 styles plus their show dances will be broadcast). When I looked at the link you included, the description seems the same... so this must be the Ohio Star Ball broadcast!
  10. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

It is, they have just changed the format.

Yay, we finally get to see more American style than the winners 30 second highlight!

Anyone think this will help American Style gain popularity at competitions?
  11. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Having it on tv at all can only help. People who are new to viewing ballroom might be more attracted to American Style as it is a little more free form.
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

I believe the date and time it's on depends on your PBS affiliate, no?

Also, I have to say, when I knew nothing about ballroom I couldn't identify anything more or less free form or more or less formal or whatever w/r/t American vs International. those distinctions were completely lost on me as a newbie. It all looked difficult, comical, overwrought and fascinating. I do hope the exposure of American counts for something, but I don't think it will be because of a perception of 'more free form.' I think the great mambo dancing going on right now in Rhythm (plus the recognizability of the music) is the best hope for exposure of the style.
  13. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

What I meant is that American lends itself to more open figures which tends to look flashier.
  14. alemana

alemana New Member

I know, but what I'm saying is, that did not register to me as a newbie. It all looked garish and flashy, I couldn't tell the difference and didn't see specifically that American featured more open work. That is a distinction that would be made by someone with more knowledge than I had as a naive viewer. I just saw, oh, there are 4 styles (Smooth, Rhythm, International, Standard) with dances in each.
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

I remember, when I first saw Smooth as a newbie, I thought it was stupid. There was just so much "jazz hands" and "skirt waving" and running around. I just didn't get it. But Standard struck me as extremely elegant, plus I could tell which dancers belonged together because they stayed in closed hold all the time.
  16. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Glad to know I was not the only who felt that way.
  17. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Actually, the first time i saw standard I found it boring to watch compare to all the other dance styles. Now, I appreciate all the effort and technique required to make it work in closed position and I enjoy watching it.
  18. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Because the TV show has had the standard showdance the last few seasons, I never knew the difference between the styles. I just thought when I didn't recognize something, it was just something I'd have to learn way down the road (which was still true), but I didn't know there were different styles until I actually wanted to register for a competition, and wondered what all the check boxes were for :-o

The public just really enjoys the performances, costumes, and other eye-candy... If that's enough to keep it on the TV, it's good enough for me so long as they include some good dancing.
  19. alemana

alemana New Member

20. smoozer

smoozer Member

LMAO