People Asking for Money at the Gas Pump

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

This is so right! I tell you another story when the scammer took advantage of victim's kindness. One evening when DP was walking from dance studio to home, one guy approached him with a desperate look on the face, "sir, may I borrow your phone to make an emergency call? My mom has a heart attack, I forgot to bring my phone, I need to call hospital for her, I don't want anything happen to her"...As soon as DP handed his phone to him, this scumbag snatched up his phone and ran away as fast as he could, DP ran after him but couldn't catch this professional thief; maybe it was really lucky he wasn't able to catch this jerk, maybe this guy has a gun or knife to use against victim when caught?

DP said maybe this guy had been following him for a while, and spotted him having a new iphone 4 while he took out the phone to text, then came up with this big lie to rob him. Way beyond ridiculous! this shameless scammer just spit to that face of generosity! In NY, this sort of crazy things happen from time to time. Not good!

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I have a dance friend who gives the nickname of "business men" to this sort of street beggars. This is not entirely kids' fault, I bet their parents educated them such way to cheat as much money as possible from "rich Americans", shame on these parents, giving earlier education of "business practice" to small innocent children. Can you image when these kids grow up, they would not only become good "business men", they would become "entrepreneurs" or "experts" of this creative begging business! They don't need money or tortilla, they don't seem to be hungry at all if they threw tortillas on the ground, what they really need is proper education of making honest/ legit living.

3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Wow...now this is what I call a multicultural thread.I am speechless...Thank god I've never had a nasty experience neither in Athens nor in London. People in need are everywhere but so far I was lucky to not have been exposed to professionals: plain luck, I know.

4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Actually, you probably have been exposed to professionals. As the say about toupees, you only notice the bad ones....

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I guess we could argue that the third world children in the heart of the Guatemalan mountains are professionals... or not. Considering it is the only lifestyle they know, and they will perform some sort of begging from rich tourists for the rest of their life, the I suppose they are. Other than that, they are just little kids doing what their mom said to do.

1931_53427581718_1960_n.jpeg 1931_53427586718_2288_n.jpeg

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and I might add, just because their bellies were full that day doesn't mean that they aren't in need...nor do we have much way of knowing what the employment opportunities are for that family

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And let me be clear. If those little kids had been selling chicklets on a Satiurday or Sunday, I WOULD HAVE bought some. It was their being denied an education that bothered me, not their trying to make a living. Incidentally, on that same day, I used the public restroom outside the ruins and witnessed a grandmom-aged woman whose job it was to manually flush the toilets after tourists used them. I kid you not. Flushing the toilet was her job. Kinda hard to make that up. lol.

These were not people with excess cash and/or lots of alternative employment opportunities, looking to scam tourists, IMO. I think it's easy to become jaded or cynical when one sees the very real scammers that ARE out there. BUT I'd still rather get scammed occasionally that ever again pass by a homeless, hungry man and half an hour later realize that he was telling the truth while I was too hardened to care about his need.

My choice. *shrug*