Performance Costumes for WCS

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Artemia, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Artemia

Artemia New Member

So I have a question for all the West Coast Swingers out there:

I am doing a solo routine in November, a West Coast Swing. (To "Shackles" by Mary Mary.) I own a rhythm dress (flouncy skirt and bra, sparkles galore) but while it fits for ECS and all my other rhythm dances, it feels very out of place when I try to dance West Coast in it.

What in the world does one wear to compete in WCS? Do I have to get a pant suit? (The horror... please say no!!) I have googled trying to find an answer and no one has been helpful, pictures have been scarce though I have encountered a lot of websites with blogs on the concept of "What is West Coast Swing?"

Help!

2. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Great song, one of my fvaorites! Yeah, dresses aren't worn normally in WCS competitions... LOL, the pros sometimes wear these pant suit sparkly things... I know for the comps I do for WCS, black pants and a dressy/trendy/or-sparkly form fitting shirt works. Bright colors always good, and of course the wcs shoes (not tennis). Try checking out some of the pictures from the WCS comps. There's a photographer (Woody) who works a lot of them, and you can see pictures from them at: http://woody.fototime.com/

3. Artemia

Artemia New Member

Great tips, Silveralsa, thank you!! I think I can definitely manage black pants and a trendy shirt... with the month and a half of warning that I have. :D

I really like the photos of the guys with the open vests and loose tie, casual looking sorts. It's good to get an idea of what both people are wearing, so I can make sure my partner doesn't wear his skin tight latin outfit while I go WCS casual. :p

4. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

LOL... that made me giggle... :uplaugh: