Philly Fest 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 6, 2008.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

who's goin'? :)

cha cha mama's question on another thread as to when i'm dancing next weekend prompted me to finally check the heat list... dancesport series at 9am sunday morning... yeesh... followed by the scholarship, with individual dances AFTER the big events. so much for relying on the indiv. dances for warmups...:rolleyes:

will be going down saturday night and will be in attendance for that evening's show. any other DFers going to be there that night?
  2. reb

reb Active Member

We''ll miss it, but love the comp!

Have fun!!
  3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I think I'm going Sat. evening. Hopefully tickets are available at the door.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree...I don't believe I purchased mine ahead of time.

I will keep an eye out for you, G!
  5. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I'll be there all weekend, though not certain I'll be in attendance Saturday night. Dancing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning....spectating Friday night.
  6. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I would love to go to this competition but it is not on my studio's list. I'm from Philadelphia and could have about 20 family members in the audience to cheer me on.

maybe someday...
  7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Is it this coming weekend?
  8. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

The scheduling is a mess.

They have me dancing single dances (out of order by the way) before and after my scholarship heat which I find extremely annoying since I use those dances to warm-up. I'm also dancing student-student with another partner and they have those mixed in with my pro-am entries as well.

Maybe this will confuse the judges into thinking I'm the pro and I'll end up winning by a landslide =)
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i hear ya, sistah... dancing the main events at 9am with the single dances much later on seems like someone's idea of a nasty joke.:rolleyes:

i don't know enuf about the intricacies of scheduling these things to understand why they would do it this way. surely, there must be a reason...
  10. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I'll be stopping in briefly to see the vendors but unfortunately there are other obligations that day.
  11. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the earlier thread Samina alluded to, I hope to go Saturday, if I can get a ticket. HOPING, HOPING, HOPING there are some still available!

Anyone have the inside scoop? I seem to recall there is someone on this board who knows the Fortunas pretty well.
  12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

yes we will be there.. only 60 for ams to compete.. including entry to the ballroom
  13. syncopationator

I'm a dude...
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

y'know, i realized my mistake as i was closing out of DF... sorry, sync!:(:p
  15. syncopationator

no prob :cool:
  16. Nik

Nik Member

This will be my pro-am debut :)
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good luck, nik!
  18. JodiD

JodiD Member

Spoke to Sandra about the order, She told me that since there are so many uncontested couples, the computer places them thgroughout the day, or evening. As hard as she tries, there are some that cannot be moved since the pro would be duplicated in a particular heat or make a heat more than 8 couples. With over 4000 entries spaced over 2 1/2 days., the scheduling is very difficult

She also said that she places some of the Scholarships such as mine, Pro Am Closed Smooth with 12 couples earlier in the program so we have some people in the room to dance in front of. She feels that the scholarship couples get disregarded when all the participants leave and only the scholarship couples are left in the room. So she places them earlier so they can dance in front of people instead of chairs. She also said that any one who is dissatisfied with the schedule could give her a call and she would try her best to accomodate them in any way possible. Also she said that if the order of the dances is too much of hardship and important than the dancing itself, she would gladly refund all entry fees. No questions asked.

Oh, and Merry Legs, what's with your studio not going to your home town Event, especially since it's one of the biggest in the North East. A block buster Saturday night, and very reasonable prices
  19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I said it was my hometown, not the studio's hometown. I'm from Philadelphia but I live in Boston now.
  20. syncopationator

Maybe "extremely annoying" was an overstatement. More like "a little dissappointed"