Philly Fest 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

I will be there.

I was looking at all the events, and I have a newbie question... What's the difference between "open scholarship" and "closed scholarship"? Just curious!

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

closed is limited to the syllabus figures defined by the event -- in some cases there are separate bronze, silver, and gold closed scholarships. at the philly comp, it's one combined bronze/silver/gold closed scholarship.

open allows choreography outside of syllabus. the elite level of dancing for pro-amers. :)

3. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

Thanks, sam!

Another newbie question: The rules say "ALL PRO-AM EVENTS WILL BE UNISEX AND JUDGED TOGETHER." Does that happen a lot in ballroom comps? This is my first ballroom competition. I have done country dancing competitions before, and they always judge the men and women separately - at least, that's been my experience!

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

In my experience, the men are generaLly judged separately in single dances, but the men & women are judged together in the scholarships. This may be the only event I've done where they are mixed for all events.

5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

This doesn't ever happen, but I really hope its true. It's no fun for me dancing uncontested.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is the norm at a few competitions I know.

Specifically American Star Ball and New Jersey State. COnsidering the organizers of Philly and the ASB/NJS are friends I can see how they might share similar ideas.

7. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

Thanks, everyone! You all have been so great with answering my questions!

I have one more: Do pro-am heats regularly contain more than one level of dancing and/or more than one age group level? Or is that only done to combine uncontested levels? (I noticed that there is at least one heat where I am listed along with someone competing at a different age level, and at least one heat where I am listed along with someone competing at a different "skill level", if that's a good thing to call it - I am Newcomer and the other person is Full Bronze.)

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi CGITS! In my experience with pro-am, many age and level categories (whether contested or uncontested) can be on the floor in the same heat/dance.

9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Just a quick off topic comment, anyone planning to do rutgets on a way to philly??? looking for someone to share car rental with :)

10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Kat,
    wonder if you will find such enthusiasts.. is one comp in one day not enough for you?

11. Katarzyna

I have a special arrangement with someone at Rutgers, I cannot miss it...

and philly I dont want to miss

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I cannot wait for TONIGHT!!!!

Should be a FANTASTIC comp!

CCM

13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Me too! Website say tickets for tonight's session are available at the door so I'll be there.

14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Anyone got any results?

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Kat & Alex won Am Standard... :D

Congrats Kat!!!

16. reb

reb Active Member

Congratulations Kat!

Good luck tomorrow Sam!!

Anyone see the Pro Rhythm of know the results?

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Thanks, reb.

18. Katarzyna

Thank you:)

am results

2 tal kate
    3 valentin and melodie
    4 damien karolina
    5... didnt't catch the name

19. Nik