Picking a Pro to do Pro/Am...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by swan, Sep 5, 2005.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Yes, but hopefully they're both professionals about it. Mine were...eventually. I'm new to pro/am too - went after my am partner ditched me - but I wanted to keep doing Int'l, and most of the male teachers were more experienced with American... So I kept my old teacher for technique.

It's worked out, actually. But it is expensive! That's pretty much my birthday, christmas, and anniversary present from my husband for this year.

2. lynn

lynn New Member

i guess it's way worse than having 2 different teachers - gone through a period of that and boy, was it messy!

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i couldn't even handle two teachers when doing a showcase w/ one and lessons with another....don't really want to go into details but it wasn't pretty

4. lynn

lynn New Member

i wonder how realistic is it to partner/compete with a pro that's closer to your level and find a high-level coach for the both of you?? i guess it would really hurt the ego of the competing pro.....

5. saludas

saludas New Member

Sorry to intrude, but has it crossed your minds that a second coach coaching you and your coach might be a little... shall we say... off kilter?

Someone on this thread complained about how they didn't want to be in a lesson where the other person got the bulk of the corrections. I think that in this case, the client would be the recipient of that. Your pro might be very bored - unless - they all work for the same studio. In that case - he'll get a commission for bringing in more hours for the studio. No, you are paying a coach to work with you. You don't REALLY need another coach in the room to help you do that.

Warning - many times, scams happen when a client comes in and is sold a 'showcase' that includes 2 or 3 teachers. The client pays for all of the teachers' time, so the 50 hour block of lessons they bought goes down 3x as fast. Another common scam is to have a second teacher 'evaluate' your proam work - at a fee. Or the owner. Geez, isn't that what you pay your teacher for? He's not your partner, anyway, remember - he's your coach.

Certainly, howeve, a major outside coach makes sense - and then, your pro will welcome any face time witha major coach. However, 2 on one? I don't think so! I'd be grabbing my wallet...

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It's hard to take a blanket position against getting the pro-am combination coached by a third party, as there's not really any competing pro out there who doesn't take lessons to help their own partnership.

7. lynn

lynn New Member

actually, it has, that's why i put it forth as a hypothetical scenario - i doubt it ever happens, but i suppose i was thinking of the higher-level coach as some sort of an outside coach who gives pointers on choreography and the overall sense of the dance - being an outside observer, in a sense, and not as a teacher who focuses on techniques that the competing pro should already know.

8. saludas

saludas New Member

THAT I can understand - hence my comment on 'major coach'. But, shouldn't the person in charge of your shcool be the person to advise on that? Most chains have a person who decides on those kind of things...

9. Chris Stratton

That person is much more likely to have a uniquely valuable perspective on what makes business sense than what makes dancing sense.

10. scullystwin42

It may hurt the ego a bit, but the partner pro should realize that he's not perfect - what can it hurt to have additional coaching from someone else? In my case, especially if the partner pro isn't as experienced in a certain style.

11. fascination

never heard of the payment for showcase options/scenarios and the other "scams" to which saludas refers.....but still wouldn't work with two separate pros for even two separate purposes out of the same studio...just to stay out of their dynamic thank you very much...personally find showcases to not be where I want to spend my dough anyway...once was enough

but regarding lesson w/ your pro and an outside coach...i agree that with a top notch coach it makes all the difference in the world...they see different things, they have a wealth of other experience....on and on...I do this as often as possible

12. fascination

chris--re :business sense over dancing sense....you are dead on there IMO...wish I could discuss some of the latest at my studio re that issue...yikes

13. lynn

lynn New Member

In an ideal situation, i would prefer to be the person that selects the 3rd person - i want an objective opinion, hopefully no one affiliated with the studio in any way.

14. lynn

lynn New Member

which is why i sometimes go take a lesson with another teacher in another studio - just to get a second opinion. I appreciate everything my teacher has taught me and i'm not degrading him in any way, it's just someone else may be able to tackle my current problem from another angle and bring in a fresh perspective.

15. Chris Stratton

Of course if your coach says "hey, my old teacher is going to be in town next weekend" it might make sense to consider it, even if you've never heard of the person.

But it's only a 'might' not an 'obviously' because there can be motives there, too.

16. fascination

but sometimes the partner pro isn't the problem....sometimes the other instructor perceives the decision as an opportunity to re-appropriate the student..... which I have seen elsewhere esp. w/newer students and it puts them in a very difficult position esp the young girls

17. scullystwin42

eek. that's a bit harsh. Infighting within the studio just doesn't sound pleasant. Since my other teacher is female, i don't have to worry about that.

18. fascination

another point to be made is that just b/c an instructor and an outside coach have "motives" doesn't neccessarily mean that they run counter to the student's interest as well...it isn't always at odds

19. lynn

lynn New Member

um....then that's clearly a professional/ethical question. My rule is, if the teahcer/coach's profesionalism/ethics is in question, i would steer clear of the person.

20. fascination

I am not sure that it is ever OVERT...which of course makes it even harder to deal with