Pigeon-toed

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SwinginAngel, Nov 10, 2004.

1. SwinginAngel

SwinginAngel New Member

No, I have not tried anything. It has not caused any problems for me so I never thought to "fix" it. Up until now, I never felt inadequate.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!! I certainly didn't mean to imply that you're inadequate in any way. Only that, if you're not happy with things, there might be some recourse.

You bring up a good point, though. (Which reminds me of the overweight teachers thread that's running concurrently.) There's a thin line between excellence and perfectionism and self-hatred. Some things are just as they are, and, IMHO, the happiest people are the ones who figure that out early.

I'll take myself as an example. I have a short waist, a curvy figure, and I tend to accumulate weight below the waist. All genetically determined things. I have two choices. One, I can curse the fates for making me this way. (When you're curvy and especially short-waisted, you have a tendency to look fatter than you are. :x ) Or I can enjoy my curves and my generous tush and thighs. I choose path two. No, I'm not thin as a stick. But damn! I'm good. :wink: :lol:

3. pygmalion

Oops! Looks like I killed this thread with the chiropractor suggestion. :oops: :(

Bottom line. Love yourself and your body as is, as much as possible. If you can't, come to DF and we'll come up with alternative suggestions. :wink: :lol:

How much does being pigeon-toed really hurt a competitive dancer, btw?

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I told a pigeon toed guy that he should try to turn his toes out more in a group class before I realized he had a problem. It is obvious now that he doesn't like me. I tried to apologize to both him, and also through his wife privately, but to no avail. I guess you can't make everybody happy all the time.

5. pygmalion

Yeah. All our bodies have plusses and minuses. :( And it's easy to get sensitive about our minuses.

Here's my deal. I love myself with all my imperfections. All nine hundred thousand forty-two of them. Please, please don't read any of my comments as judgmental of you, whoever you are. I have 900,042 deficiencies to get through, before I get to you. :oops: :wink:

That said, chiropractors can do wonders. They're a lot like plastic surgeons, in my book (without knives, of course.) They can fix one's "existing conditions," if one is sufficiently unhappy to ask. Otherwise, they're not needed. Pigeon toes are a relative non-issue, from what I've learned in this thread, unless you're competing at a high level. And that leaves me ( and quite a few others) out. :wink:

6. sunderi

sunderi New Member

I can attest to that! You guys have really helped me gain perspective on my . . . . shortcomings. :)

Yay for DF!

7. Enjouee

Enjouee New Member

I wonder how it worked out for SwinginAngel. I am pidgeon toed too (starting at the hip) and constantly struggle for turn out on rhythm dances.