pivots

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Feb 2, 2011.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

can we talk about these?...I am beginning to dance open smooth, I am aware of a good amount of pivot technique...a substanyial amount...and yet I still find, and I suspect it is in physically holding back, that I am tending to take my foot before my center and not turn my standing foot enough...what do most of you who do good pivots think about when you are doing them?
  2. Griffico

Griffico Member

If my pivots are going poorly, I usually find that it's one of two things:

1) I'm not driving from the previous step enough, but rather placing my foot and expecting my body weight to wind up in the right place.

2) I'm not down into my legs enough to maintain any kind of balance.

We'll occasionally do a drill in which we take a step, wait til the end of the measure (or whatever's easiest while still being deliberate), then do the pivoting action over the standing leg. Wait another measure, then repeat. While not necessarily being the actual practice of a full pivot, it helps a ton when you go to do a pivot to actual timing.
  3. fascination

thanks, I will give that a try...we do that fairly often..here's my thing though...the horrible paradox of it all...when I do them alone in isolation, I can do them fairly well most of the time...it is when I have him in my space :) that it all goes to hades..and I know better than to step before moving my center, but I seem to continue to insist upon doing that and not continuing to turn that standing foot to help with the endeavor
  4. GinaM

GinaM New Member

1) Drive! And double check that you're driving INTO your partner, rather than trying to get AROUND him

2) Receive - make sure you get a good "crease" between front of hip and pelvis (sit back in your butt) to give space to your partner when he drives into you.

3) Stand up straight, and pull center in/up - you'd THINK it would be obvious...

**I recommend practicing with less-than-optimal rotation, to get the back and forth feel down, and only when comfortable try to rotate more and more**
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. fascination

thank you Gina...I rather suspect that these are the issues...and that it isn't a matter of knowing, but of prioritzing and doing, first in practice then in closed hold
  6. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I think these are very good suggestions.
  7. fascination

yea...I am beginning to believe that my issue is not a lack of failure to grasp the concepts or of not having enough info, but rather simply of the hard work of doing it
  8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

For me, I find there is an issue when I am not rolling through the foot properly. For example, when I am stepping forward with the right foot, I need to make sure I get over the ball of the foot, as that is the part of the foot "spins" on the forward step. If I don't do this right, I end up stepping more "side" on the next step.
  9. Pivots are the hardest for me. Question -- for the 2nd step (left foot) should I be stepping forward across my partner? or to the side across my partner? And at what point should I "sit in my butt" to give space for my partner to drive? Is it as I cross her path?
  10. fascination

I would assume it is the same for the man...that you step directly toward your partner, no?...and that the sitting is just prior to taking that forward step to prep for your own drive...then again, I am no technician
  11. I agree with the man's partner being the same as ladies, at least I could imagine that it'd be the same. But the rest... :confused:
  12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I wanted to add that I have found practicing pivots for more than 15 minutes or so is counterproductive.
  13. ViviDancer

ViviDancer Member

Well, my pivots are far from perfect and not very consistent either, but here's my input. The reasons I usually can't pivot are because I don't offer CBM to my partner, doing so really makes pivoting much easier as you're allowing your partner to go around you and vice versa. Another common reason is because I tend to transfer my weight too late and end up pulling my partner; no common centre of gravity. And of course the silliest of all the mistakes, not keeping my weight down and knees flexed while pivoting.

I'm not sure are you referring to the pivots in latin or standard but having personally done more pivots in standard (waltz, tango, foxtrot), I made the silly assumption that you're referring to them :) However, I guess that pivots in latin dances pretty much hold the same concepts?
  14. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Pivots are one of my favorites--they're the most fun.

m
  15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

MM don't tease! Show us how to make pivots as easy as you made fleckerls! :)
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can think of pivots as rock steps, but with a massive amount of rotation on each rock.
  17. fascination

yes...m...that was just cruel :)
  18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

This is what I hear the most - in addition to keep the movement going, and don't try to stop it.
  19. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Thats a dangerous analogy..If the "bodies " are stabilised with a central axis , then any rocking action would be counter productive .

In addition, there are 3 common uses... Natural, Reverse ,and Canter .

Each present their own set of problems to be overcome .
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

They're fun when they're going well, but not so much when they're not.

Please excuse the double negative.