pivots

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Feb 2, 2011.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think they are dreamy but I am aware that they really aren't dreamy for both of us unless I do my job well...and, at the moment, I am not allowing my body to do the thing as I know it should be done and can most often do alone
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Pivots started to work better once I began to grasp the mechanics (physics) of the movement behind them. But, knowing what to do and actually doing it are two entirely different things.
  3. fascination

right...my issue isn't lack of good specific solid info...it is about the discomfort of doing it in closed position...allowing my body to do it properly...I could cite alot of technical specifics
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i keep wanting to interject something which is very non-technical, and you are reminding me about it again here, so i'll share.

i've also had trouble with pivots. and what always helped, aside from the great technical advice ginaM gave, is thinking "receptivity" and "come in". sometimes it's just the right thought, idea, or image that triggers what the body needs to allow the natural movement to flow, and this worked for me, in allowing more softness, which then allows a better crease in the hipline, and a smooth receipt of *his* energy rather than a kind of "fighting" quality that causes us to bounce off or around each other akwardly or disjointedly.

understand, i have not done pivots for awhile, but i recall the theme distinctly. "receive", "come in", "soft", and "yes" were all keywords that helped me find better harmony in pivots...tho at last attempt, they were still hit or miss. dunno if they will help you...
  5. fascination

thanks sam...I do think the problem is not a technical one...it is definately mental, psychological...but I think it is less about the recieving part and more about the driving part...and it is a thing I have conquered in other patterns...I just have to tackle it here
  6. Griffico

Griffico Member

Co-sign...
  7. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

(Wasn't intending to... :) )

I'll see if I can write something up in the next few days and post it here for ya.

m
  8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I find I have a mental issue on many steps where I have to step strongly into my partner. I just don't like doing that. Don't know the solution--all that's worked for me is just to stink it up and do it.
  9. fascination

10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

ALL of my dance partners had issues with pivots--and for most of them, they thought the issue was mental and not technical (not saying this is always the case, nor everyone's).

Some of the root issues include the mindset that their role was to go backwards; and while that was true, a change of perspective to a holistic view of dance movement (as one that incorporates forward, sideward, and backward directions) helped conquer hesitancy.

Being too keyed to backward movement made them hesitate on forward steps because most of the practice was focused upon back steps.

The point, in their cases, was that the ratio of technical training on the mechanics of forward movement lagged behind the backwards--which in turn made them uncomfortable with the steps.

A simple continuous quarter turn exercise done aggressively and religiously (4-6 of NT & RevT turning 1/4 instead of 3/8) fixed the issue over time.

Specifically in the pivots, the crucial feeling is drawing the forward moving partner into the first step.

There were other individual problems with the figure, of course, but this was the universal one for all of them.

m
  11. fascination

yes, I think this is the issue and that you are correct.... I have conquered this in many other forward movements...why my brain is not allowing my body to cooperate here has yet to be seen, but I have done some work on it this morning and I am aggresively determined :) to put the problem in my past ...soon
  12. fascination

;) it's okay...I was just pouting...your last post is more than sufficient...and on point
  13. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Not the best advice, but if you want to see a immediate result,...

A capable leader can carry a less capable follower through as long as the follower does not overturn her upper body and keeps her right hip up against him.
  14. fascination

I have a capable leader, but I am not at all inclined to simple go along for the ride...they are not dreadful or even visibly bad pivots now...just not exceedingly good ones
  15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

This. I'm not nearly as comfortable travelling forward as I am backward--in any position, including shadow, so it's not just about stepping into my partner.

When you have a moment, I'd love to hear more about this.
  16. fascination

ah see...I am fine with forward motion...just not into him..under alot of circumstances but most particularly going from something open back to closed...am fairly accustomed to it in standard...so I know I can do it...and that it is situational...in other words...mental :)
  17. GinaM

GinaM New Member

Do more reverse waves?

18. fascination

lolz...i dance pro/am ...I reckon I will not be steering those choices :)
  19. fascination

but, like I said, it isn't all forward motion :)
  20. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Bumping this thread because I need help. I have read this entire thread and plan to try and incorporate any technique tips that have been discussed. But the thread did seem to have a "it's a mental thing" about it. And while this may eventually be the case for me, right now it's defintely an "I don't have a clue as to the technical aspects of doing pivots" thing for me. So if you kind folks coud shed some light, I'd be grateful.

Here is my specific problem (but honestly, starting at the very basic beginning will be great as well), I can do a single pivot ok (nothing great but I can usually make it passable as a pivot). But I cannot seem to get into a second one without my pro being massively under-rotated and having to literally hop and skip to get around me to begin the second pivot. He is still way too far on my left side I guess (hard to describe), almost like I am racing him and winning..o_O. We end up having to stop completely as he is forced to hop on his left leg several times to stop his momentum because he cannot get to the position he needs to be in to continue.

If it helps you to know what may be happening, it did seem to help a lot (though still can't pull it off) to make a point of waiting longer before I put my weight into my left leg on the second step of the first pivot. It's still not do-able and a complete train wreck, but that actually made a big difference. It seems to be the rotation into/onto my left leg and how to move out of that to continue a second pivot. Any idea what I'm doing or what I need to do first? second? third?