Please Help! Dancing at Prom!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Xander, Apr 20, 2006.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

lol! definitely don't mess with the hair! :shock: :D
  2. latingal

xander (and cornutt) - I don't mind the back to front position if it's done for a short while (for variation mostly)...

and cornutt....thanks for bailing me out! *grin*
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

No problem. Although I can't help but be somewhat amused by the whole concept of grinding... When I was in the seventh grade, I got kicked out of a dance for indecency. My sin? While we were sitting and catching our breath between dances, I put my arm around my date's shoulder. The rule was that, other than holding hands, no contact of any kind was allowed. :shock:
  4. noobdancer_08

noobdancer_08 New Member

From the parties I have been to, grinding would be the single best type of dance to know how to do, because
    a) nearly all songs can be grinded to in the kind of music that is usually played there, at prom as well
    b) coming from my area, solo dancing is quite difficult to look good at doing considering those of us at the parties learn from other parties, but nobody can really solo dance for an extended dance period at this age
    Now what happens usually is a few people will know how to do some moves, but not nearly enough to be able to dance to as much as an entire song from what i've noticed. This is where I figure grinding has it's advantage, I can dance for several songs in a row as long as my partner continues as well, because grinding is just that... grinding up against your partner. Now either front or back grinding depends on preferance, I honestly like front grinding more, because a lot more can be done to change things up, now if your not experienced at grinding I recommend back grinding. The reasons for this is, because front grinding can look better, it can also look worse if you dont have flo.
    Now as I saw you were confused Xander, i'll explain front grinding to you. You have your feet kinda spread out, a little farther than your shoulders width, the girl you are grinding with has her leg in between yours, with yours in between hers like this.
    x=guy x ...x
    o=girl .x o x o
    ............o...o
    You are kind of leaned back with your knees bent, with your hands they can either hold hers with the hands in between both of you, or around her waist or lower back. At a prom i dont advise holding her butt. Front grinding can vary the distance you are apart, depending how close she wants to be.
  5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Here is a website that has all kind of dance dvd's, etc., maybe some clips...take a look:

www.learntodance.com/submit.htm

maybe something on there will help you a bit.

odd...the site is not showing up the same way as when I click on it in my favorites. Need a few seconds to figure this out.
  6. chandra

chandra New Member

Well, How'd prom go last night?
    Let me tell you, first of all - most highschool guys arent good dancers, girl will be thrilled your willing to dance. Second of all - Maybe take hip hop and break danceing lessons this year, so you can show off at prom next year!
  7. latingal

Hey, yeah xander....how'd the prom go? you didn't mess with her hair did you?
  8. Romein

Romein New Member

Amazing guide! Props to you sir!
    I might add, just read up on some grinding guides online, that's pretty much all that happens at highschool dances, even the formal ones. Good luck bro!