Pointing foot problem (pics)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dansa, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dansa

dansa New Member

hmm sorry my english is not the best, but im not sure what an Arch is, is it the top of the foot or the middle under part of the foot? :confused: :oops:
  2. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

I believe that form follows function, so I wouldn’t worry about your feet too much. But if you really want to have a better point, you need to stretch the heck out of your feet. There are a lot of theraband exercises that focus on foot strength, since it is so important in ballet. Be careful to both stretch and strengthen your feet, as ankle injuries are quite common. Point work in ballet will also stretch out the feet. A friend of mine used to walk around on the TOPS of his feet, I don’t recommend this at all, just showing the crazy measures people go to stretch their feet.
  3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

The arch is the curve of your foot between the toes and the ankle. It's the top of the arch that makes that nice shape you're looking for.
  4. Bella

Bella New Member

Agree. I wouldn't get the faux arches. They are mainly used for pointe dancers who already have strong feet. I really would do the exercises and watch for your point improve. If you don't see/feel a difference, take private ballet lessons and work on tondu's (pointing).
  5. Josh

Josh Active Member

On their stretching for ballroom video, Julia and Bob describe this exercise: lying down, flex the foot, then curl the toes down, and then extend the foot. This should result in a stretch of the top of the foot.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The arch is measured by the space between your foot and the floor. In that picture it is the dark line.

The vamp is the top of the foot over the arch (perhaps it really is a shoe term instead of a foot term.)

Here is a "falsie" that raises the vamp, giving the illusion of a higher arch underneath.
    [​IMG]
  7. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I'm not recommending it but check out the "Pro-Arch" device.

Discountdance.com and amazon.com both carry it.

I have seen it used but my daughter was only playing with it and already has an incredible arch. It might work for someone who needs to increase the flexibility of their arch. Looks draconian to me.
  8. dansa

dansa New Member

THANKS! :) its really clear now and im understanding!

Does anyone know if its possible to "change" how your arch look like?
    I remember i went once to a foot-doctor cause of my flatfoot and he said that i will be flat footed forever... But i guess if you have flat arch you cant do anything about it... damn :(

However i will really do my best and try and see if i excersise my feet for pointing if i can still manage to get a nice point although im flat footed... lets hope so at least :)
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I don't know; all I can tell you is that when I was younger (and did gymnastics) I had a really nice arch. I think arches can fall, but not sure if the converse can occur. I'm sure someone here can help with that.
  10. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Dansa -

you can't change flat feet (I have them too) and unfortunately your arch will never look quite the same as those of a person with high-arched feet. However, you can definitely improve your point by increasing your foot strength and flexibility. Ballet classes will teach you this. I can point my feet pretty well; I just have to work at it more than someone with naturally arched feet.
  11. dansa

dansa New Member

hehe i wonder what kind of arch Yulia has :p
  12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

13. dansa

dansa New Member

im sure Yulia has super high arch and thats why her feet always looks so perfect! *a bit jellaous* :) :D
  14. liz

liz New Member

My feet are also flat. I have that arched look that you are talking about NOW after alot of dancing, stretching, and realizing that is is more of an ankle stretche than just an arch. Thought I had a picture to show you. You can kind of see it in the first one in my photos.
  15. dansa

dansa New Member

thanks *giving me hope!*
    i had a look and for me u dont seem so flat footed at all, so yeah maybe u are right that you can get a better arch after alot of time of training and practise!! im sure gonna start doing foot excersises now :) :artsy:
  16. liz

liz New Member

One more thing, I have skinny ankles. Anyone think that that helps or hurts to make your point look better?
  17. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

You can improve your point and your arch by constant stretching and strengthening.
    You can do it while sitting down; perhaps at work. Keep practicing and you will notice a difference.
  18. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I have a tennis ball rolling around under my desk...I play with it and use it to strengthen my feet when sitting at the computer or reading.
  19. BM

BM New Member

Hmm, my feet cramp up like no other when I point. It used to happen when I swam competitively, as well. Will playing with a tennis ball help with that at all? Any other suggestions for exercises? Occasionally I'll flex my feet on a staircase, but not at all frequently enough to notice a difference, if there is one.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Some further information on feet and how they evaluate them for ballet:

"In order to receive a vertical position of the foot en pointe, as well as to rise to a three-quarter position on demi-pointe, the combination of the ankle and the instep must be hyper-mobile. This hyper-mobility is produced by three joints working together: the ankle, the subtalar joint beneath the ankle, and the midtarsal joint. Hyper-mobility is something with which an individual is naturally endowed, and it is highly valued in the classical ballet world. “Good feet” are always noticed in a ballet audition! It should be noted that little can be done to increase looseness in tight, relatively inflexible insteps; the study of classical ballet is therefore not recommended for persons with such feet.

A simple test for evaluating the suitability of a person’s feet for classical ballet is the following. Sit on the floor with the legs stretched out straight in front of the body. Keeping the knees taut, point the foot, pressing the big toe down toward the floor. If the ball of the foot can reach a point closer to the floor than the ankle bone, the foot is suitably flexible for ballet. The left and the right foot should be evaluated separately."