Pointing foot problem (pics)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dansa, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This is correct. Though the arch is mostly what it is, it is not the arched foot that you (Dansa) are striving for, it is the pointed foot. This can be strengthened and developed more by stretching the tendons atop of the foot/toes. (Yes, some of us [guys] have had to do the same ;) ).

2. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

Not really true. You may not have the arch of a ballerina but you can improve it. Everyone is talking about stretching the foot, but what they are missing is how flat feet are related to muscles in the leg. You also need to stretch the outside calf muscle, or I should say, SOME people may need to do that. That muscle when lengthened will allow the outside edge of the foot to relax down and allow the arch to come up. Doing so stopped the progression of my bunion, at least in part. I had other issues all the way to the hip that i had to work on as well. But the point is you can do something about this.

To do that stretch. Sit on the floor. Grab the outside edge of your left foot from underneath the foot with your right hand. Rotate that down as in supination. Pull your leg across your body until you feel the stretch on the outside of the calf. Hold. Repeat on the other leg.

If you don't feel the stretch there, then you have although blockages in the way. stretchability.com will have some info on this if he ever gets his website up.

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

4. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

Ok, I've read the entire thread. The exercise ideas are great. Also, have the whole pointing problem. (I have high arches which should make it easier to point, but no.) I'll be honest, I have a pretty good point without shoes. My shoes are as small as they are going to get. The straps are as snug as I can stand them and my toes do hang over the edge. BUT when I point- my toes withdraw into my shoe. Now I know a little bit of it is that I just got a new pair of Ray Rose, but every shoe I've tried does the same thing. I've heard other ladies cut the front of the shoe sole off. Has anyone ever tried this? Any one experience something similar?

5. barrefly

barrefly New Member

My daughter has the "pro arch". It's purpose is to basically deform the foot. (quite draconian). It's the bone formation that gives one a high arch, (see Larinda's example). This would take a long time, even for a developing foot. No telling how long (if ever) for a fully developed foot. I have also heard that simply dancing in high heels, also develops a higher arch.

Dansa was just born with a low arch. I think it's something she will have to live with. I guess in her case, form will have to follow function. Hopefully, some of the other suggestions will help her look.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been told by the Orthopedists that work with the Hartford Ballet and with the Boston Ballet that the arch of a ballerina is developed at a young age. The foot bones are actually molded into that shape AS THEY DEVELOPE. After your bones are done growing it would be extremely difficult if not all the way impossible to reform the bones.

Not that you cannot get a better stretch of the ligiments and muscles that lay over the foot to help flexibility when pointing... but I doubt seriously an adult will ever create a ballerina foot.

I do not have a high arch from the bottom or that pretty(?) bump on the top of my foot... but I have a great point, after years as an adult stretching my ankle and lengthening my foot.

7. BM

BM New Member

I asked another dancer who told me she'd tried it, and she was very discouraging. I can't say from personal experience though: I'm afraid to sacrifice my own shoes.

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Don't they eventually wear out to the point where they're only useful for such experiments?

9. BM

BM New Member

You'd think, but by then they're so stretched that they fit more like slippers than Latin shoes, anyway. When they don't fit snugly anymore, the sole doesn't curl with the rest of my foot when I [try to] point. Might be worth a shot anyway, though . . .

10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I had a shoemaker cut off the front of a pair of Latin shoes and it was fine. Couldn't tell it had been done.

11. dansa

dansa New Member

how much approx is a good amount to cut off on the front of the shoe?
    im thinking of doing that of my carmen, as you can see on the pics i have quite a good bit, although my toe is touching the ground a bit when im standing up normally...

anyone has a picture maybe that shows how "it should look like".. ?
    Or just tell approx how much they cut off, im dying to cut mine but im worried i will ruin them completely and make things just worse

12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Probably the way to go. I did it once with a pair of Elegance shoes (which are thicker sold than any other shoe I've worn) and it was a nightmare. They were unwearable after that....I think largely in part due to the sole thickness.

13. Ruby-Lane

Ruby-Lane New Member

Hi everyone :D
    This is an excellent thread!
    Dansa i to am obsessed with obtaining a beautiful pointe, Yulia is also my favourite dancer and her feet are absolutely gorgeous!!
    I have Ray Rose shoes (blizzard) and they are very flexible, although my feet are very narrow and they become loose quiet quickly. I get the overhang as well when i point my feet but i face the unfortunate issue of having my second toes longer than my big toe, I'm afraid if i go half a size smaller they will look silly.
    One of my coaches suggest you roll the end of the shoes when you store them, i tired this but it stretched my shoes to much for my narrow feet.
    I also have the thera bands which i do a few stretching exercises with.
    I was very interested to read all the tips and information everyone has provided. :)

14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Your foot sounds a lot like mine (narrow and second longer toe). I would recommend trying the Queen B - I am told it is the narrowest (regular width) shoe that RR makes. I couldn't dance in much else. Loose shoes are going to affect your balance. And if you have space between the straps and your feet, I imagine your feet and legs have to work hard to compensate.

15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

One advantage of having a shoemaker cut off the front of your shoe is that he can re-shape it to fit however your toes line up.

16. gracie

gracie Active Member

Yes, I had mine done and second toe longer and it is great to have all toes on floor for balance.

17. Ruby-Lane

Ruby-Lane New Member

Thanks heaps for the RR tip on Queen B, i love my blizzards but they are way to loose now so I'm going to order new RR. I have to strap mine around the ankles for extra support because i also have extremely excessive hyper mobile ankles and they just wobble all over the place.