Polka classes NYC?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Mona, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mona

Mona New Member

Does anybody know of any polka dance classes in NYC?

Thanks in advance!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Have you tried dancespots.net?

3. Mona

Mona New Member

Thanks for the lead. I just checked that site out upon your suggestion. Unfortunately I guess there aren't any teachers for any eastern European (or french, german, canadian, etc) dances in NYC. Plenty of latin dance teachers, I'm sure. If I find any, I'll post the info for others.

Thanks again!

4. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Mona,
    I have a suggestion for where you could look. If you can find someplace that teaches "Country Western" you might find a polka class. Polka is one of the dances on our competition circuit. Just a thought of a genre you could look under.

Surely somewhere in NYC is a polka class.

5. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Wow... I never would have thought polka could be classified as country/western. Note to self next time anyone complains we don't play enough "country dance music."

6. pygmalion

Yup. Polka is a C&W dance. Big time. I'm having a lot of trouble fiding it under polka in New york, though.

I'm embroiled in folk dance listings at the moment. Anybody want to know where to take Balkan folk dance lessons? :wink:

Still no polka, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

7. pygmalion

8. dnquark

dnquark New Member

I would look for people/organizations doing international folk dances. These guys would be doing polkas, that's a sure bet!

I don't know how big of a folk/vintage community there is in NYC, though. Out in the Bay Area, vintage is still quite alive (thanks ot Richard Powers).

Oh, and a couple of months ago I saw two girls dancing polka to Tango music at a social dance. That made my night! I was, like, "doh, how come I didn't think of that!" (Polka is a great dance to do in defiance of whatever is playing.)

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Come down to Ithaca NY and quite a few Sunday nights the International Folk dance club does Eastern European / Balkan folk dances...If none are played you can look at the list of songs that are there, ask them to play one such song/dance if there is someone who knows how to and is willing to show it. (The people who attend vary so the dances done may vary from night to night...)

10. Mona

Mona New Member

Polka in Greenpoint

Thanks everyone for replying to my plea for polka info!

I live in Greenpoint Brooklyn - lots of Polish neighbors. I couldn't read the posters listing classes in shop windows and on streetlamps, etc. They are all in Polish. Finally one had a picture that had polka all over it. Also I asked around and someone had a polish friend in the neighborhood who is going to bring me info. I will post all the info when I have it all together.

Thanks again!

11. pygmalion

Glad you found something, Mona. I had a feeling there was stuff out there, just not on the web ... yet. It's amazing how much a litle word of mouth cn do for you. 8) :D

12. pygmalion

13. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Polka in small dozes with live music is great fun. 8)