Pop/Modern Music for ballroom dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Scarecrow, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

Ive spent the last month searching around the net for a good list of "Modern" or "Pop" music that has the right tempo and beat for ballroom dancing.
    Ive found a site with an extensive list of music for the jive, but im still looking for more. Specifically for dances like the Pasa Doble and the waltz.

The reason i ask is that im a highschool student whos learning how to dance with a couple of girls from my school. We practice on the school oval nearly every day, we like the music that is made specifically for ballroom dancing, but wed also like to be able to dance to mainstream music.

If anyone could give me a link or a list of pop/modern music for these dances it would be great.

smidra86 likes this.
  2. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I don't know of any lists, though I'm sure they're out there, but have you looked through the DF music? You can browse by dance, I believe, and I'm sure you'd see some pop music in the lists.

3. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

A quick glance at the song list brought these two up (both waltz)

Breakaway
    Kelly Clarkson

If I Ain't Got You
    Alicia Keys

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

music

Go to " telemark dance music ".-- They have a list of various titles, but when you say " pop ",--what era are you talking about ? as in -- the fifties, sixties, nineties etc ?--- And p.s.-- keep up with the dancing, you will never, ever regret the experience, and it will serve you well .:D

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

Hmmm tangotime ive looked at that website not exactly what im looking for. Im looking for something like the list at www jiveaholics co uk/music/ (replace all the spaces with .s)...
    When i say pop, i mean anything ranging from the 70's till today. Im from the generation (Those born around the 1990) thats just discovering classics like "Pretty Woman", "Brown Eyed Girl" and some of the big band musics...

I love dancing, if i was made to do anything in this world it would not of been dancing thought, i have long gangly arms and legs and i don't have any rhythm. But i still love it, im going to do my first test in December. The teacher says well do the Jive and something else (im holding out for the pasa doble cuz i can't waltz :D). But shell only let us do it if she knows well pass. So hopefully ill be pass.

But i digress, one of the other reasons i want some of the more popular music for people my age is because we practice everyday on our school oval at lunchtime. If i can get some music that isnt so old and lots of people know ill be able to put it on a little speaker and have some music to practice to.

Oh and how do i use the DF music thing i cant find it at all

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I was looking for the Music section for a long time, too. Click on the Dance Events box at the top of the page and then there will a little box for Dance Music at the top of the next page. Click that, and you'll be there! There'sd lots of interesting music categorized by dance.

7. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

My partner & I have been playing around with this exact question and sending each other songs over the Internet. Yesterday's highlights were "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter for a foxtrot, "Je t'aime/Moi non plus" by Gainsbourg & Birkin for a rumba, and (I'm proud of this one) "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by the Clash for a tango. I think it's good practice to just listen to songs & figure out what you can dance to them--maybe in addition to looking for a list it would be fun to turn on the radio & just experiment.

Waltz might be the hardest; I can't think of many pop songs in 3/4 time. There's "Never Tear Us Apart" by Depeche Mode but it might be too fast; I haven't tried to dance to it.

BTW, it seems like you are looking for pop music to dance to in part to pique your classmates' interest--I think that is great!

8. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Well, if you want to learn samba, there's Mas Que Nada by the Black Eyed Peas- I LOVE that song- you should also look at the Michael Jackson music thread. Another great waltz is Come Away With Me by Norah Jones.

9. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Nice catch on the BEP song :) I like the Norah Jones song but it's very subtle and probably not a good choice for beginners.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

Hmm would a song like "R.E.M - Everybody Hurts" be a good example for a waltz? I did 9 years of piano but i still can't pick up tempo or beat that easily...

11. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

12. ViviDancer

ViviDancer Member

There's a DJ that remixes modern songs to ballroom music. He currently has 3 latin and 1 standard albums. They are free for download. You can have a look at this facebook page if you're interested. His facebook page is Dancesport Dj ICE

13. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

14. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting it, Foreveradvanced. :-D

16. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've found that it difficult to find pop music that is exactly the right tempo, but relatively easy to find it with the right meter/ beat.
    What I've started doing is editing the music with a free software called audacity- it lets me change the tempo so it is exactly right!

18. BreAna

BreAna Member

Hi Scarecrow! I'm in college so I totally understand wanting to dance to modern music. Whenever I hear a dance-able song, I write it down somewhere and then add it to my ballroom playlist. Here is a list you might like:

Bolero:
    Bendita la Fe by Rosco Martinez

ChaCha:
    Supermassive Black Hole by Muse
    Lady Marmalade
    Sway by the *****cat Dolls
    Smells Like Teen Spirit by Richard Cheese
    Amor by Ricky Martin
    Jezebel by Ricky Martin

E. Coast/ Jive:
    Holiday by Green Day
    Causa y Efecto by Paulina Rubio
    Brains! by Voltaire (well, there's some goth ballroom from my high school years lol)

Rumba:
    Please Stay by H.I.M (more goth ballroom)
    Black by The Shroud (and some more...this one is too slow for American style, but good for intl)
    Come to Me (Ven a Mi) by Ricky Martin (not exactly modern, but not ancient either)
    Nobody Wants to be Lonely by Ricky Martin
    Zvezda by Vitas (it's Russian but sooo pretty)
    Abrazame by Tamara

Samba:
    Run the Show by Kat Deluna (slow samba; good for practicing)
    Baila Casanova by Paulina Rubio
    One Night Man by Ricky Martin
    Hips Don't Lie by Shakira
    Whenever, Wherever by Shakira
    Alejandro by Lady Gaga

Tango:
    El Tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge
    When You're Evil by Voltaire (more goth ballroom. my all time FAVE tango)

V. Waltz:
    I'm With You by Avril Lavigne
    Unwanted by Avril Lavigne
    Slipped Away by Avril Lavigne
    When I'm Not Around by Iris
    Smile by Sixx: A.M.
    The Headless Waltz by Voltaire (goth v. waltz lol)

Waltz:
    Misery by P!nk
    Graven Image by Sonata Arctica

19. I like to pop in from time to time when I find a song I just can't get out of my head and just want to dance too desperately.

Daylight, by Maroon 5 just makes me want to grab a girl that makes me smile and Rumba with her. Everything about this song is just fantastic.