Post-Comp Celebration

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by suburbaknght, Oct 12, 2011.

1. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

How do you celebrate/commiserate after a competition?

For me it's beer and hot wings as soon as possible after final awards. Started back when I was still with a franchise and the only place to get something to eat afterward would be at the hotel restaurant, usually with excited students plying us with celebratory drinks. After leaving the franchise, it just didn't feel right doing anything else.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if things have gone exceedingly well and I have friends around, drinks and or dinner are always a good thing...if something major went well, that might be cause for shopping....if things have gone poorly, room service and a do not disturb sign for an extended period of time...i don't like to inflict mself on others

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

ridiculously high-calorie food and long phone conversations.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

fast food and lots of smiles if has gone well

fast food and scowls (in the privacy of home) if it hasnt

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I never really have time to hang around (I'm usually gone after my last awards, to make the train/bus/drive home.) So mostly, sleep, as I get no sleep at comps and don't eat much, either.

Ohio last year was "start drive home early on the excuse it'll be a shorter drive tomorrow but really want to get to Findlay and be able to spend a lot of Saturday at that giant antique mall I saw from the freeway..."

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I like to order myself a nice steak after I am done dancing.

7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Chocolate chip pancakes with sour cream at the closest diner possible.

8. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I will do that the next time I'm done dancing at a comp.... the beer and wings actually sound fantastic as well.

9. danceronice

I actually had wings the night BEFORE this one (yay room service! And Hotel Intercontinental O'Hare is really nice. Glad I ordered the SMALL salad, though, a plate the size of my head was not what I was expecting.) I try to get protein because if I don't, carb crashes or low blood sugar become very much not my friends. I need to start taking almonds for the day itself so I don't try to rely on coffee. Coffee = not a food group. (Though Saturday I was trying to justify "if it's an espresso drink and mostly skim milk that counts as protein, right?")

10. kckc

kckc Active Member

It usually involves french fries...win or lose... :)

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Find anything there? I've bought some rhinestones from time to time, but largely, not much there, even though it's so huge

12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I love the theme of unhealthy eating and drinking post-comp. After Princeton this past weekend, my family and I went to a Houlihan's and I had an enormous steak with like three or four pieces from my family's appetizers. Food coma. In addition to a sore body. Yum.

13. danceronice

Oh, tons of stuff (I consider it a good day if I make it out of an antique mall for under $100, and all the ones around here take my cheques without asking for ID). In particular I remember a bracelet, heavy chain, that I fixed the missing pearl decorations on and it ended up going in the wholesale lot I sold to my friend who has a jewelry store, and there was a woven-ribbon choker I put a brooch on that I sold on eBay. And a wool skirt that I wear to work. I'm seriously thinking of doing Ohio, even if it's a hassle this year because of work schedules, mostly because I'll have an excuse to stop!

14. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

good or bad, maybe one beer, then crash to bed!

15. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

First thing, always, is to eat the given food like crazy. I wouldn't touch anything before competing and usually the weeks leading to competition means strict dieting. And when I am done doing my last dance, that's when I'll finish off everything in sight. Relief! :D

After that, a nice shower and off to find more food then have a good rest. =)

16. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

We usually celebrate by talking each other's ears off about how we can do better next time, what we need to do to improve, and what's next. The thing I look forward to the most after a comp, is our next lesson.

Regarding food, we don't do anything different than usual before or after a comp. It is what it is.

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, I just experienced by first really FABULOUS comp results. DH and I walked across the bridge to the South Coast Plaza..I was clearly now hungry (amazing how that works) wen to Ztaz southwest restaurant...(I tend to do southwest when things are great apparently) ordered Shrimp/Avocado Tostita Bites, Lobster, salad, and a huge Margarita. Yummmm. And we explored stores. I always allow myself to go into stores I cannot afford and husband encouraged this - until I touched a mini dress whose price tag was $7,420. The blood drained from his face and he hauled me out of there. So yes, eating and shopping (not buying) are the after a good comp affect.

18. tanya_the_dancer

$7,420??? You could get 4 dance dresses for this price!

19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am always hungry after competing... even if it was a small comp and I didn't do many rounds. So first thing after dancing is eat (preferably greasy and disgusting but I will take anything) until I am in pain. Then off to the shower so I can have my real face and hair back... I don't really like comp hair and makeup, but I tolerate it until my event is finished and then I cannot wait to feel like a real person again.

20. tanya_the_dancer

Just wondering, why would you diet before the comp? I don't like to be overstuffed before I dance, but I don't deprive myself because if I don't have enough to eat I won't have the energy.