Post-Comp Celebration

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by suburbaknght, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

YES, it made the "designer" costumes seem cheap. We're not talking run of the mill "mall" stores at South Coast Plaza. We're talking stores were maybe 10 items are on display and there are 5 guards inside the store.
    It was really something! Versace, Gucci, Coach, and other names I cannot even begin to pronounce.:cool:
  2. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Because I am plump and competitions are the best excuses/motivations to diet. I don't eat in the morning, because up until then I would usually have a flatter tummy from not eating much at all and eating before competition would mean a bulging tummy when dancing. Unsightly! And all that, not because I don't want to eat, it's because I can't afford to. :(
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Um...not a good plan, actually. In fact that is a great way to screw up your metabolism.

I tried (very briefly) not eating the morning of because I"m genuinely not hungry (comps require being SO off my normal routine I will often go ten hours without eating or having any concept what time it is) so now I force myself to have something (ideally protein, even if it's just cream cheese on a bagel or a milk-based espresso drink) before I dance, because muscles don't like it when they have no fuel. The judges don't care and won't be fooled that I'm not a size 2 (not even close) if I don't eat, they WILL notice and care if I'm light-headed and my legs shake because I'm trying to do intense aerobic activity on no immediate fuel.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i was wondering the same. i mean if you're training intensely why on earth would you have to diet "strictly"? there's a recipe for physical & emotional disaster, i think...
  5. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I know that, but somehow I kept trying to fool myself into thinking I am the selected few that need not to eat all times. And I guess it's really true, what you say about the size and having not enough fuel.

I hate to see videos of myself dancing because of all the jiggly parts. And the photos too so I kept trying to be as 'slim' as possible prior to doing comps.
  6. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Exactly why I always feel really yucky on competition day and even worse, during the practices before the competition. Blah...don't know why I am doing this on myself too. Ugh! :(
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

think about how wonderful it would be to feel good on competition day...and how that would show up in your dancing.

if you focus on eating to take care of yourself, to nourish and energize and nurture yourself, the rest will fall into place, laucy.
  8. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I was just imagining it, but man does it feel good! :D

Maybe I'll not go into such extremes this time, and hopefully it will be as you say, that the rest will fall into place. Thank you samina! =)
  9. danceronice

Eat. You aren't going to significantly alter your body size by crash-dieting before a competition. For me personally the best system is just listen to my cravings (if I'm doing a lot of heavy exercise, I tend to crave protein, because I'm damaging/building muscle.) And also remember as far as video goes, two-dimensional formats flatten and made the body look wider than it is.

You don't need to eat a lot, but if you're feeling tired or sick or miserable (if I don't eat I get splitting headaches), you need to figure out what you CAN eat that will help you function and feel better. I was just saying after I ended up needing to grab a protein bar Saturday that I need to start bringing almonds with me to competitions so I can get some quick protein (and salt!) while I'm between rounds.
  10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Bananas are good comp food... quick to eat, non messy, and pack a lot of nutrients. Granola, luna bars, and the like are also great snacks to eat between rounds.

I used to not eat the day of comps because I would be too nervous. Now I make sure to eat a big meal the day of the comp, and healthy, nutrient rich snacks in the hours before my event if I start feeling peckish. Huge change in how I feel at comps... It is good to have that fuel on hand.. your body will thank you.

My former dance partner and I would sometimes eat beef jerky before dancing.. I haven't had jerky since I was about 8 years old but we would both be craving the protein and jerky is a fast no-mess snack.
  11. danceronice

Lol, just make sure you're not around me! ;) That's one of the two foods that I won't (rather than 'can't') eat, and the only one where it's strictly that I cannot abide the taste, smell, texture, etc. (The other is fugu and it's because no food is worth THAT level of risk.) I won't even have them in the house--if my parents bring them when they visit the peels can't go in the compost pail, they have to go straight to the pile at bottom of the yard. I truly don't think even durian could be that bad.
  12. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

For some reason after a competition, especially a big one with many rounds, I always crave a cheeseburger and french fries. I have not indulged that craving in years, but I always think about it, even if only for a moment. :)
  13. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I am definitely a post-comp junk food girl. M&Ms and a diet coke.
  14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever we're up to now) the notion that you should not starve yourself the day of a competition. You are not doing yourself any favors. If you're worried about bloat, then cut back on salt and increase your water intake that day and a couple of days beforehand. If you're worried about how your tummy looks, then select a costume that accentuates your positives and is forgiving of your imperfections.

It's much easier to perform at your best when you have fuel, and when you're not cranky from hunger. You don't need to stuff yourself, but it's a good idea to have some protein and natural sugar. Personally, I graze a lot during a competition to keep my energy up. Even just an apple slice or two between rounds works wonders for my stamina.
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

First order of business; cheese burger, fries, and an ice cream sundae for dessert....

Then option depending on results and size of comp; buy myself a new latin dress... (ouch!).
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyum
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my fp was a burger o holic...I could still order for him if I had to
  18. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Right after last comp hubby and I went to my fav bar/ resturant and was no doubt what I wanted.... Awesome mac and cheese pizza, with lots of wine... Did not even take hair down, scary make up...... Proceed directly to bar as is.....

Dont snub your nose at this, it is awesome!! Comfort food at its best!
  19. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

oh forgot to mention.... Lots of gummy bears between comp and ride home.....

If in a pinch DOTS will also work!
  20. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Thanks skwiggy. Will try not to go down that route again and be good to myself this time. Right now I've only got one costume that is helping me hide everything else and even that, is showing my jelly tummy even though it's covered. Trying my best now! =)