Practice better every day or alternated?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Jan 29, 2005.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

It's that quality versus quantity thing again. I take one joint lesson with my partner per week, and we practice for an hour afterwards. Then we practice two days later, and then again two days before the next lesson. Sometimes on of us has an off day, and sometimes we both do, but we seem to sense this in ourselves, communicate to eachother, and try to stay understanding of one another. Also, because we don't practice every day, we tend to focus on maximizing the time we have for practice.

2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Great story Maximus!

And getting to date the protege was a rather nice touch, too. ;)

3. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed that little mishap of mine!

:)

madmaximus

4. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Yes, me & my partner used to practice everyday for a few hours per day, some day we thought we had it, but the next day we were so frustrated that we couldn't achieved the same as we should have. I don't know why it was like that, maybe we were so tired out for too many practices, or either one of us wasn't up-to-dance on that particular day. So now we have changed our stregedy and see if it will work for us, that is, we will take one day off and go for tea dancing on Sunday just to relax a bit, hopefully this will work for us.

Rainbow

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another great older thread. Any thoughts from newer DFers?

chomsky likes this.
  6. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Listen to your body :) Some days are just going to go slower than others, especially when little physical niggles like sore ligaments are around. My partner and I practice together around 12 hours a week when we have a comp scheduled, and when nothing's planned, around 3-5 hours together, with our own solo practices on top of that. We try and keep our practices focused and approach specific things each session. It keeps things interesting, and lets us reach achievable goals and monitor progress. It helps that every practice is just so much fun!

I really liked the posts where monitoring your emotional and mental states was mentioned, it's important to know how to recognise what you need to do to stay healthy all round. Thanks Pygmalion for bumping this!

chomsky likes this.
  7. pygmalion

I just wanted to introduce a whole new generation of DFers to max's GREAT story. :D

8. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I definitely agree about monitoring your physical and mental state for practice-- my partner and I aim for about 2-3 hours 5 days a week, we've found that with that schedule we're mostly productive. It's enough that we're working very consistently, but we get enough of a break during the week that we don't feel burdened by dancing. I will note though that our 'days off' aren't really days off-- we're still stuck with each other-- one of our 'days off' a week we go help with our ballroom team's social dance lesson (basically the team charges people a couple bucks to learn a different dance every week during the school year), and after Spring Break our other 'day off' a week will be used to mentor Newcomers, so we're still going to see each other every day, we still spend time together doing dance related stuff, we just don't take the dancing nearly as intensely and it's not focused on us.

What we have a larger problem with is monitoring ourselves within a given practice and coming to the realization of when we really need to take 5. I remember we had this one practice where we were trying to work our Foxtrot-- I think it was our second practice doing it together on our own (which means maybe my 3rd time doing Silver Foxtrot at all). We must've worked on it for about an hour, but nothing was going right and we just couldn't figure out why-- we tried changing a bunch of stuff, we finally decided we must be forgetting something but we couldn't figure out what. Finally my partner got frustrated and he ends up saying "I just really need to take 5 in order to get in a state to try to figure this out again." So we take 5. We sit down, we make jokes, we relax, we laugh. We finally get up, groaning, and decide we need to get back to work on the foxtrot because otherwise we're never going to get it right. After taking our break, the first time we run it it's perfect. Still don't know exactly why 5 minutes refreshed us enough that suddenly it fixed all our problems with Foxtrot, but it did. Other times similar things have happened to us (never quite to that extreme though) where just a break has helped us bring everything together. It's hard for both of us to recognize we're at this point though because when we're struggling with something the first thing we want to do is get it right-- and it's really hard to tell oneself that 'no, you aren't going to get it right if you keep going, you need to stop and breathe.'

pygmalion likes this.
  9. pygmalion

Yeah. I think the hard part is knowing when exert self-discipline and push through and when it's time to take a breather.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

all i learned was what i knew... canali slacks tailor made, have more room in the umm err ruuhh important areas:cool:

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you broke the paralysis of analysis

12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

N
    Now this is why I always turn to DF for inspiration in my life, and I mean it, it's not just words.

13. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Whether it is on my own or with a partner, I like to try to practice everyday, with one day to recover and rest. Unless I have a competition coming up, then rest comes the day after competition.

14. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Chess computers now play to an extremely high standard, enough to beat the human world champion. Said computer plays to the same standard consistently. It never gets tired or frustrated, it does not carry baggage from setbacks.

Completely different with human chess players. To reach into himself and unlock his full potential he needs maximum motivation. Garry Kasparov, ex champion with the greatest chess record in history, told a story about one time when he simply did not want to play -- and he a paid professional who climbed the Mount Everest of chess. He did not play badly, he did not play at all, he could not play at all, because at that moment he was sick of it. His adversary the chess computer had no such problem.

Nobody knows how the human mind and body work, but for sure it is not a repeatable mdine. Your partner intuitively knew he needed to take 5, and how right he was. You could have charmed him mightily during those 5 minutes. As to why 5 minutes could do what hours could not, well one drop of cyanide can kill a person where 6 pints cannot. A milligram trace of sex hormone can set the body on a different course.

chomsky likes this.
  15. chomsky

he's always someone to look up to and makes this a better place.

16. chomsky

I'm quoting you at my FB!Thanks!

17. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Thanks for your interest. :)

It is said, "You can take a horse to the trough but you cannot make it drink."
    With a human you cannot even take him to the trough if he does'nt want to -- motivation is everything.
    To quote England's greatest ever jockey Lester Piggott, "If you beat yourself, then others will beat you."

I suggest a teacher, a parent, a spouse may not be technically the best, but they can all provide priceless motivation.

chomsky likes this.
  18. chomsky

I'm quoting you again! You're my inspiration for the day!!!!!!!or should I say, motivation for the day!!!!!!!