Prada & other luxe brands...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Feb 20, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yesterday, drove into nyc for the day & did a lot of window-shopping in soho... lots of groovy furniture & art galleries... and checked out some nifty glam clothing boutiques... prada, la perla, girbaud...

took BF along into these shops, which he would definitely not enter on his own... i happen to enjoy fashion & posh shopping, but BF is frugal nature-boy sort who's like, "um... they're just clothes... where's the comfy chair???" :cool:

a couple very funny moments emerged... in prada he came across a long bright yellow latex/vinyl paddington-bear type of raincoat that he was thinking noone could PAY him enuf to wear... and upon viewing the $1200 pricetag his brain became completely befuddled. "are you SERIOUS...?" he laughed to hours...

then in girbaud, he had a good chuckle at these jeans called "asskiss" & priced at a neat $415... and then broke out into full hilarity over $200 t-shirts that were shrink-wrapped into hard flat discs, and which the saleswoman came over to explain that their lovely unique design feature was INSIDE the t-shirt and therefore not visible when you wear it... "although, here... you could probably wear it inside-out...":rolleyes:

meanwhile, i was ogling the clean lines & gorgeous quality at prada, and the fascinating creative edge at girbaud... neither of which BF was able to appreciate thru all his laughter. <g>

i'm not a status-shopper... i just appreciate the artistry, fine quality, and creativity inherent in many posh labels... and i also shop at target, kohls & tjmaxx... who here also enjoys a bit of posh??
    ;)
  2. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Oh, it's all pretty to look at!

But barring any major carreer-choice changes, I am unlikely to ever afford them. Which is fine.

Window shop at prada. Actual shop at target. :)
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah... you can look pretty well-turned-out with that approach. :)
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I gotta' say, I share your BF's views. I generally just hate dealing with clothes, and the idea of spending any more than $15 (or maybe $20, if it's really special) for a t-shirt is just crazy to me. Ditto for more than $30 on jeans. I just don't get it--do you know how much of our car loan we could pay off? how many lessons I could have? how many expensive brunches out we could share?

I don't even attempt "well-turned-out." I go for "clean clothes, showered, hair & teeth brushed, makeup on." If I manage that, i figure I'm ahead of the game.

DH, on the other hand, totally gets the whole designer clothing thing. Not that he wears it, but he gets it. Particularly for women. You should take him shopping with you (he likes shopping), and your BF and I can go have a drink or something and wait for the two of you.
  5. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

It's something that comes and goes, for me. I remember a time when I really REALLY wanted those fancy labels, and bought quite a few. They looked good, wore very well (the trick is also chosing quality, not just trendy labels), and I was very happy with them.
    I'm now at a stage where I couldn't care less about labels. I know what looks good on me. I know I can get that for a very reasonable cost if I shop with a plan for what I actually need.
    Still, like a recovered alcoholic, I try not to walk by an Escada shop (I love their style).
    Shoes, on the other hand, are another story. It's my weakness and I don't even try to control it.
    It's good to have a vice, isn't it?
  6. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

Snap. I passionately hate clothes/shoes shopping, and the concept of window shopping is a mystery to me.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the stuff is beautiful...and I could afford it if I really wanted it...but I would rather shop at target and be insane about ballgowns and lessons instead
  8. fascination

i feel the same way about shopping...wouldn't mind having the stuff but don't want to roam around and look at it or have to spend that much for it
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very appealing... i really enjoy men who shop better than i do. *lol*
  10. Laura

Laura New Member

I love to shop, but can't go for the luxe brands (except in accessories) because most of that stuff doesn't come in my size.
  11. Peaches

Well, he's fabulous at it. Good eye for shapes and colors, good eye for accessories, good eye for...well...just about everything. And, as an added bonus, he knows his terminology, so he can ask the sales people for something and actually describe it correctly. Kind of scary, really. (Is it shocking that my parents thought he was gay?)
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, i know what that is like. it is disapointing when you see something you like, only to learn they cut off sizes several below your own. crappy practice.

i was marvelling at the gorgeous prada luggage, like works of art i just wanted to look at. so gorgeous. can't find that sort of stuff at target...
  13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Love designer stuff because of the quality - I know I can wear that stuff for years. I get it at Loehmann's for fraction of the price;)

Love shopping, never find it exhausting and it always takes me a really long time to do it because I am picky and hard to fit. But once I find something that I like and that fits, it's hard for me not to buy it.

My favorite thing ever is a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress - that woman knows how to dress a real woman:)
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, i'm so not a "shopper" like many women i know, who regularly go out trolling for bargains. i'm more a power-shopper... when i have the cash & the inclination, i'll go out & drop an enormous amount, with great pleasure & no stress.

it's been awhile...
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

smart woman. except IME it takes regular shopping at those types of places to knab the bargains when they're available. i just never think of doing that... until i need something.

oh my goodness, yes!
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have always gravitated towards men like that... the sort that have shirts custom-made, have european tailors, wardrobes that put my own to shame...

BF is exception... but exceptional in other ways. :rolleyes:
  17. Peaches

I've never even heard of half of these names!!

How do you people even find out about this stuff??? Was there some sort of "vital female information" download that I missed somewhere along the line?

I'm just completely baffled.
  18. Peaches

Oddly enough, he's only like that about women's clothes.
  19. fascination

yeppp...I'm strike and run...in and out...one store that I like and tires are screeching...

now I must say I do find a man with impeccably expensive taste a turn on then again...well...uh well...nevermind
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

girl, i'm so with you there... ;)

anyway, i don't need any of this stuff to feel happy or attractive or successful or any of that... i just appreciate beauty & quality, even if i'm just spectating. i find it inspiring, i suppose, whether it's natural beauty or something someone made.