pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: hyperventilating...brown paper bags anyone?...

let's see

sleepless
    pro getting more anal
    hungry
    irrationally convinced that i have forgotten everything;)
    have no life outside of my lessons, the gym, the tanning salon, the nail salon, and my closet (figuring out what stays and what goes)
  2. fascination

and...oh dear...we are out of wine
  3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Which one are you hyperventilating over? Generally I don't even have time to think about it until I'm getting my dress on.
  4. Me

Me New Member

:shock:

NOOOOOOOOooooo.......!

That was my first recommendation.

I think you first eat a healthy dinner, then flop in front of the television with something gooey and bad for you, and take a day off! ;)
  5. fascination

not focused enough to answer that mq....actually, I think I am just poking fun at myself as a coping mechanism...b/c I should know better by now, but I feel some of that stuff creeping in around the edges...there's also the excitement, and some things that I feel pretty confident about BUT, ya know the other stuff is there too...its a battle, lol...meh, off to the symphony with dh tonight...will see if I can sit still that long...note to self...they serve wine there..i think
  6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Get yourself a bottle of wine, don't drink too much, relax, BREATHE, smile and dance. :D

T_E
  7. fascination

okay...last post for a while....PROCRASTINATION...lol...omg I had no time for this today...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...bye til sunday folks...ps...someonme else list a symptom okay>?
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

funky competition related dreams
  9. redhead

redhead New Member

I do fine up until the day before... and then start eating everything in sight. The more fattening the better. I guess just can't stand looking good in a skimpy dress :)
    But the real problem is being calm up until the last 10 seconds before walking on the floor, and then being in a fog until jive starts... doesn't seem to get any better over time.
  10. Musique

Musique New Member

last night i dreamed of dancing in a strange and huge hall with hundreds of competitors. everyone was going in the same direction in samba, except us. and in rumba, our timing was wrong. i corrected my partner, and had a fight...
  11. mamboqueen

I have a somewhat similar experience (and I have already started eating ridiculous amounts of food, but my dress actually has enough room for another 5-10 lbs of me)...and then getting on the floor and the first couple of dances are an out-of-body experience for me. I calm down the longer I am out there, though. Then...I start to have the "what do I have to lose?" mentality.
  12. yanka

yanka New Member

I get those pre-comp, post-comp, and pretty much anytime I'm anywhere near a comp.
    It's good stuff. Keeps my mind off 'more stressful things' like work and studying :-D
  13. fascination

:shock: :shock: forgot the heater guy was coming this morning:shock:
  14. fascination

:shock: :shock: :shock: then dtr calls and reminds me that she needs a note to go home with friends from school:rolleyes:
  15. fascination

:car: :car: :car:
  16. redhead

redhead New Member

Yeah more than one shot on the floor does help. Unfortunately, as amateurs doing only one style in only one age group, we often get to dance just once (as in straight final). That stinks big time.
    Any tips?
  17. mamboqueen

Maybe do several run-throughs prior to getting on the floor? I'm so used to my practice regimen of 20-30 minutes on the ellipse machine, 20 minutes of stretching, and I don't really hit my "ideal" dancing for another 15 minutes or so into practice....I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with getting on the floor and trying to dance my best right away, too.

Maybe some others here have some suggestions?
  18. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I spend the last couple of days before a comp feeling totally unprepared. Then throw in a good anxiety dream or two (quite like those final exam ones back in college, or the ones just before traveling).

I'm always very nervous for the first heat of the first round. I'm usually fine after that.

After it's all over, I feel like eating everything in sight.
  19. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Ok - I'm in pre-comp shoe problem - what H*--total meltdown.

Long, long stupid rant coming :(

My right shoe developed a nasty wobble at IGB - so right after the comp I order new shoes - three week back order as usual - they finally come it- box says 6 shoe is 7 - shoes go back re-order - on back order (why am I not surprised) - used wobbly shoe at studio exhibition - almost fall on kester - shoes go in bottom of closet - comp approaching shoes STILL on back order - go to local capizio - get spiffy shoes with nice criss-cross andkle strap but its in a heel height 1/2" higher than usual but I have a week to get used to them - great practice next day- shoes seem to be working well should be used to the different heel by comp day -- call cancel shoe order - next day elastic seperates from strap buckle loose!!!!

take shoes back - No more in my size &*^%$. Get upolstry thread and leather needle - do quick fix - go to practice YEAH it worked - yesterday - breaks AGAIN - shoe repair shop MAYBE they will be ready on Thursday - still haven't done my V to speed in new shoes.

Pro cancelled lesson yesterday - may be a daddy by now - practice schedule for the rest of the week up in the air.

Anyone have a paper bag I can borrow.
  20. fascination

resurrected for personal use