pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I just registered for my second comp ever in pro-am gold- latin. Pro is blase, but now I am thinking I am crazy. I guess if worst comes to worst, and I forget patterns, I will make up some stuff and dance around until the music ends. We will get disqualified and go to the bar. It will be a memorable day one way or another.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

problem

not the solution!!

the solution:
    scullystwin42 likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

jump downs are horribly bad for your knees and ankles....I strongly discourage them...jump ups, while dangerous, aren't as bad if done properly...but there is no good thing about jump downs...IMO
    debmc likes this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Ok......damn! I worked up a sweat just watching that. Thanks! ;)

Think I'll shower off and go make lunch........
  5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My solution to low stamina, avoid quickstep... Wait you mean I can't pick and chose my events in open? I have to dance all 5? grumble grumble grumble.... lol jk
  6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Champagne is always the solution!

i will try that video.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

:cool: :D
  8. Mr 4 styles

let me know if you want some harder ones:p
  9. Mr 4 styles

agree I just do box jumps ..then step down.. rinse and repeat but I use a 24" height that's a long way down lol
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the height going down is bad no matter what....degrees of bad ...but still bad...glad you only go up
  11. Mr 4 styles

yeah and I can do it faster tabata is about max interval so I get more reps for my 20 seconds
    fascination likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

OMG, it's October tomorrow! That means my comp is in less than 2 weeks... and I've been (and kinda still am) sick and off of practice for almost a week. Trying really hard to not freak out right now...
  13. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Sent in registration for Chicago Dancesport Challange and OSB. Freaking out a little as I'm in the middle of midterms and school has just been crazy, so I haven't been able to practice much (read, at all). Have an exam in pharmacology tomorrow:eggface: and then done for a bit, so I'm excited/nervous to get back into the practice room and see exactly how bad everything has gotten...
  14. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Apparently the best thing for pre-comp worries and stamina issues is learning a brand new quickstep routine! Wahooooo....so much fun and so tiring!
    cornutt and Sania like this.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I should stop looking at the competitor lists...
    latingal and stash like this.
  16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Could be worse ... I *may* have spent time cross-referencing competitor lists with youtube videos of them dancing in previous competitions. Possibly. Perhaps.

(Not of you though. While I think we're both entered in the v. waltz event at Chicago, I fully expect it to go pretty much the same way as it went the time I "competed" against mindputtee. :))
    FancyFeet and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

You did quite well for yourself at that competition! Also, there were cookies, which makes any day awesome.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

And speaking of pre comp disorder, I've started having nightmares about dresses again. Two weeks, two weeks, two weeks.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Oh, I was actually quite pleased with how the standard went at that competition n- silver as well as bronze. I'm more being silly than anything else. And true story vis a vis cookies.
  20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I keep doing that! And of course nothing changes...
    SwayWithMe and Dancing Irishman like this.