pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I really should block o2cm/dance zsconcepts the week leading up to a comp. I've spent entirely too much time checking whether that silver event's starting with a quarterfinal or a pre-quarter...

Sania likes this.
  2. LT

LT Member

Hahaha... yes, this! But, do you also check each competitor in the drop down list to figure this out one by one when the comp website doesn't provide a "heat" or "event" list, only individual competitor lists...? o_O

3. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

The one-week mark before a competition sends off a signal in my brain that my costumes have FAR too few rhinestones and need to be updated STAT.

4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Ew, that's a huge pain. I might've checked, but only when there were something like 20 people registered...

5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

That is the worst.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yes. :rolleyes:

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yes, because your hanging bag isn't nearly heavy enough. :D

slhull.13 likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm currently freaking out about is that I'm not freaking out... this is oddly out of character. 4 days to go.

middy likes this.
  9. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Left the studio in tears after a great coaching hour. I'm a basket case.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it happens....hug

11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Feeling much better now. Coaching really was great, practice this evening was productive, and after a bit of thought I decided that the thing that upset me is irrelevant and I just need to let it go.

Miss Silly and latingal like this.
  12. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Two weeks to my second ever comp. Officially getting jitters. Commence coping strategies: practice, practice, practice (dance and makeup/lashes), positive self talk and deep breathing. I can do this, I am a dancer. I want to do this, I am a dancer.

debmc and bia like this.
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Feeling rather nervous but also really excited - this will be our first comp since April, with brand new (and crazy) smooth routines that we're tweaking here and there at the last minute, new dress and planning on attempting a new fancy swirly bun (hopefully one that will not fall out in the middle of tango...).

Mostly I'm excited to see all the rest of the team dance as well, both new and old members :)

Now I just need to focus on getting a lick of work done this week.

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Doobie doo, doing rumba basics at work while I wait for the water for my tea to heat up. I maaaaay have a competition in a week.

15. Sania

Sania Active Member

Break room boto fogos?

cornutt and Miss Silly like this.
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I thought that's what you were supposed to use the break room for!

You know, plug in kettle/start coffee maker, then practice rumba walks/chacha basics/heel turns or do foot strengthening exercises while you wait. No impending comp. required.

You mean normal people don't do this? Mind blown!

ajiboyet, cornutt, Miss Silly and 3 others like this.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

One of the things that kind of hacks me off about where I work now is that we're really crammed in; the break rooms are all too small and crowded for practicing, and it's nearly impossible to find an unoccupied conference room during work hours. There's a basement hallway where I've been known to practice waltz naturals and reverses.

Sania likes this.
  18. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Almost-at-the-competition disorder: Not being able to sleep through the night, even if I am in a perfectly comfortable bed. I don't know if it's the sleeping-in-a-strange-place thing or pre-competition anxiety/anticipation, but it sucks! I probably got 2 hours of sleep total...around 4 am I gave up and started to get ready (this was for a comp that started at 7 am).

Dancing Irishman and 5678dance like this.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I used to get that all the time...sometimes still do....least favorite symptom ...as it really undermines my confidence...and...I require A LOT of sleep

20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I empathize, I still have problems with this at times. I make sure to get plenty of sleep the week before a comp.

But it's happened to me so many times now, it doesn't freak me out if it happens any more. I know I'll survive and dance quite well even if I don't sleep (adrenaline is a lovely thing). Which of course in turn, usually lets me get to sleep.

Another trick I've tried with some success....I actually tell myself to stay awake, and of course then, I fall asleep.

samina likes this.