pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

When I competed, I regularly slept 2-4 hours the night before or weekend of competing. I just went with it and didn't stress over it. Being tired isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it can make your conscious mind more comfortable with taking a back seat, which is a boon for a follower.

I also ate pretty lightly. But made up for both calories & sleep when the comp was over. :)

latingal likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sleep does affect me...sadly, there is no help for it...but I get that others can work through it...

3. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

used to happen to me ALL THE TIME. would drive me CRAZY.

I fixed this forever! My secret? 3 glasses of wine with friends before bed. works like a CHARM!

stash likes this.
  4. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

**Note: just be careful not to create a hangover, though. those are COUNTERproductive ;)

middy likes this.
  5. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I think at least a few people I can think of off the top of my head might be hungover more if they didn't drink at least three glasses of something. I firmly believe that the hallows of bad American-Cuban motion were not unlocked to me until I had a whole bottle of some kind of "Is it a reisling? It can't be, it's pink!" fruity swishy stuff that made my chubby cheeks glow like a Hello Kitty Chernobyl playset.

So yes. For medicinal purposes, of course.

dancelvr, 5678dance and cornutt like this.
  6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I was fine surviving on the dance floor, with a couple naps here and there. The main concern was the drive home, but luckily my partner and I just traded off when the driver got tired.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me, it effects my concentration...I am much more likely to get disoriented if we have floor traffic, etc....it is not good...and hard to explain to people who don't have it...but I have had two comps where it can a definitively bad impact on my dancing...shrug...but, what can you do? stuff happens

8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Had a terrible dream last night where I was taking the mega bus up to Chicago for my comp this weekend and I left my suitcase under the bus. With everything in it.

9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

This happened to me once. The night before, in the hotel, I couldn't seem to get the temperature down in the room. I managed to fall asleep for about an hour, then woke up drenched in sweat....and could NOT sleep for the rest of the night. It might not have mattered that much if I'd been dancing early, but my heats didn't start until noon. The exhaustion was nauseating, and I danced horribly all day. Slept like a dead person after, though.....when I finally figured out how to work the thermostat. Sheesh!

10. LT

LT Member

First comp in a while coming up... Been taking unpaid time off work to make sure we have time to practice... :p

11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I can safely say getting sleep the night before is still the single most deficient aspect of my pre-comp routine. I *cannot* get myself to sleep at a reasonable hour for the life of me. Traveling to comps with people I like doesn't help that one much, either.

12. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

I don't sleep well because I'm not much of a sharer so I'm afraid I'll beat up my bed partner for the night, which wouldn't be appreciated by my teammates. However, grad school has prepped me so well for sleep deficiency that I barely notice.

Comp this weekend and I can tell it's coming up because lessons yesterday were spent going over the basic and then breaking off with silver partner and having nothing go right. That's usually a good sign we'll halfway apply things. If we did it well, I would start to worry. Statements like "good thing you know how to follow" are typical when trying to go over the new routine's. Oh, and not being able to feel my feet. Because of 5 hours of practice on Saturday.

Also, the constant buzz of excitement. I WISH I could look up the number of silver entries. Would like to know how many others we'll be against. Last year at this comp we should have been cut in the first round from the 10 couples in silver smooth (our first time competing silver, only goal not to hit anyone) and then when we walked out on the floor, 2 couples dropped and it was a final. 8th place across the board. Except V. waltz, which was 7th because one of the other couples didn't do it. This year I feel much better about everything. And we'll actually have rhythm things to do.

Llamas- I won't let you forget your suitcase in the SUV this weekend. And if you do, I'll let you have the keys so you can go get it ;)

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Which comp are you going to?

14. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

A collegiate competition, Badger Ballroom Dancesport Classic.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Ah, a college comp! Hope you have a good time.

16. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

Yep :) I'm a collegiate competitor only until I have a real job.

Thanks! I am super excited. First comp of the semester and I feel like I've changed a lot in my dancing since the last one. Today is dress rehearsal day and I get to try out my new smooth clothes and gah! I'm so excited. I actually get to do bronze smooth. Yayyyyy! (part of my pre-comp routine is getting ridiculously excited about everything).

17. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

And now I'm actually really annoyed. Just found the online entry form and they've a)assigned numbers and b)they aren't randomized at all so not only will we be in the last heat, the entire heat will be dancers from our team. Worst possible way to assign numbers is by order of entry- teams enter together! Don't put all 6 dancers from one school into a single heat. Ugh. This is why I look these things up before hand- get my annoyance out before I have to be on the dance floor. I don't wanna dance in the same heat as llamas! :p

18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I wanna watch you and be able to cheer for you :)

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  19. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

Exactly! We get to "compete" against our teammates all the time. I want to be in different heats so a)I can dance against people I don't know so I feel challenged and b)so I can cheer my teammates on in more than the finals they make and I don't :p

Which, also, WOW. There are 30 couples in silver smooth. Huge change from last year when there were 8. This is going to be interesting. Don't know how I'm going to break this to my partner....

20. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Maybe it'll be like the majority of collegiate comps I've gone to and they'll give up on numerical order by the end of Bronze Smooth?

My old college team actually started a policy of staggering registrations because of this reason (I assume it's the default number assignment method on dancezsconcepts, because I can't imagine that many comp organizers pick the option thinking, "Hey, this sounds like a great idea!").