pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it counts as pre-comp disorder, but I always lose sleep the week before a comp trying to finish up all the sewing projects that I put off til the last minute (this week it's a tie, finishing touches / fit adjustment on a Latin shirt, and a rhythm/latin practice skirt for my partner)
  2. bluslu

bluslu Member

It's all good! I asked on the Facebook event and got a very timely answer- the numbers on dancezsconcepts are not the actual numbers that will be assigned. The stagger method is great- We've also done a comp where numbers were assigned based on the levels you were doing. So in bronze, all of the bronze/silver dancers were in a single heat together.

Good luck with your sewing. You're way more adventurous than I am. No way could I adjust things for myself.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Good to know on the numbers. And thanks...I don't know if I'd call myself adventurous or just adept at biting off more than I can chew.
  4. bluslu

bluslu Member

I could really use your sewing skills now.

Had to have my fringe dress altered almost a year ago thanks to weight loss, which involved bringing it in in the chest. Went to do the run through for the comp and my fringe has fringe! The top layer of fringe detached from the dress on both sides under the armpits. :/ Now I'm freaking out that an entire row of fringe is just going to fall off doing a tuck turn in swing or jive. May have to utilize my 6th grade home ec skills tonight to jury rig the thing together. Yay for freaking out about costumes right before a comp! This is why I practice before every comp in my clothes. Some people probably think I'm neurotic about this but I have such crappy luck that it needs to be done.

Oh, another pre-comp disorder- total loss of productivity at work. This comp is worse than normal, considering my boss left the lab TODAY because his wife is being induced. Cue lack of productivity x10.
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

My shoe broke yesterday in practice:eggface:
    Gonna have to wear the pair that looks like something died on them this weekend.
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Am I in full wild-overanalysis mode about Starz? Why, yes. Yes I am.

(I have the spreadsheet to prove it too.)
    cornutt, ajiboyet and Sania like this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Out of nerdy curiosity, I feel compelled to ask: what's in this spreadsheet?
    RiseNFall likes this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

Oh, you know. The usual stuff. Competitor names, shared heats, color codings based on past results of theirs...

And yes, I know how silly it is of me to do this. In my defense, I generally actually a pretty good job of putting it all aside when I actually step onto the competition floor.
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Hey, I say whatever you need to do to cope with the stress... if a colour-coded spreadsheet is what you need to channel and manage it, then go ahead.
  10. JudeMorrigan

Kidding aside, it's a bit odd and disheartening how jittery I am over this competition. I was remarkably laid back for my two summer comps - I thought maybe I'd turned a corner in terms of how stressed out I get before competitions. I was kind of nervous for Chicago though and really out of sorts for this one. I'm sure my present lack of sleep (which I actually don't think is related to my upcoming comp) isn't helping matters.
  11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Not remotely neurotic. Any serious competitive dancer should do this, especially if you're wearing a new dress.
  12. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

you may have decided it was "important" that you do well. I rarely get nervous now because I just tell myself it is not that important. Get nervous about surgery, major dental work but tests, competitions, new experiences? Those should be savored and enjoyed; like a date with a hot new partner, going to the theater on opening night. If you can remember that you do this because you like to it may help.
    Also guided meditation helps me to smooth the rough edges at night..... Kelly Howell is a great one
    fascination and debmc like this.
  13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Aaaand... it's started. Was clicking along really calm and comfortable, but the nerves arrived today.

Likely has something to do with the fact that I have been dealing with an injury for a little bit, but got the all-clear this morning, meaning I'm no longer focussed on injury management. Dress is also to the wearable stage (not quite done, but could use it as-is), so no more focussing on getting that done.

Now it's OMG, it's in a week; how many more practices can I fit in; what do I need to go over again; I need to start tanning; how am I going to do my hair; etc. You know, the standard pre-competiton freak-outs :) I may be making an itemized to-do list for each day remaining to calm myself down...
  14. JudeMorrigan

I agree entirely, which makes the way I proceeded to crash and burn in the competition all the more concerning. I'd say I need to try very hard to find a way to approach Nationals with a more zen-like approach if trying very hard at that didn't seem like a bit of a contradiction n
    FancyFeet likes this.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

I have a countdown started for nationals. Right next to a countdown for my MCAT scores. 49 days, if anyone is interested
    sbrnsmith and Ailuene like this.
  16. legato

legato Member

oooh, like your new blogspot topic...will check back on this!
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

only one of these results really matters..................

NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

49 days for MCAT scores??
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Umm no...MCAT matters! LOL
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  20. llamasarefuzzy

Nope, till nationals (46 now). 15 till score s!