pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Grandson dancing at California Open on Sunday.
    My mental checklist keeps replaying....we tell him, "go out and just have FUN"...while me, mommy, grandpa....attempt to stop worrying about EVERYTHING else. He dances at 8 a.m. and 10:20.....GOOOO KIDDO!!!!
    And yes, it's weird not competing at this one as I have consistently in the past.
    j_alexandra and debmc like this.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Every time I look down and see bare skin: "I'm so tan!"

Also, the blotches. I am not a fan of protan. Can't wait to use it up and get back to my normal stuff.
  3. Sania

Sania Active Member

That's because they _really_ (at least the vast majority) don't know how!
    Ailuene and 3wishes like this.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Check into our hotel. Check into the "mommy's" hotel (I need to get keys it's under my name), Get to Hilton and get the "lay of the land" which is confusing because it's up and down the stairs,,,older hotel...being renovated. Let's say we got our 10,000 steps in AT the Hilton.
    Ran into friends I haven't seen since Emerald Ball,,,,while eating dinner. Caught up.
    Friends meet DH and Grandson #2,,,who is DYING to ride in the glass elevator.
    DH takes GS to Glass Elevator,,,DH comes back a few minutes later without GS...I try not to panic. uhhhh dear? did you lose something?
    DH handed GS off to Pro who spotted GS with DH and kidnapped him for the elevator ride and to go play with Pro's son. uhh, ok then.
    WAIT, I hear and see something...someone CARTWHEELING through the restaurant...yep...it's GS. ARGH~ continuous cartwheels.
    Chit Chat with Pro and catch up conversation.
    Head out later to our hotel...oh, did I mention....the ENTIRE Santa Barbara Water Polo Private CLub Team with all the parents are in the hotel. Fun to revisit that scene (shades of DS)...but, no, really, in a small lobby area,,,I'm sure there were at least 200 parents chilling out for the evening.
    Head over to other hotel and drop off GS with his mom. Made plans to meet at the Hilton in the morning.
    I watch GS Somersault on the hotel bed...over, and over, and over...ok,,,TIME TO LEAVE....lol.
    California Open, Number 2 Grandson, with energy to burn...may be a good thing! lol. Posted some pics on FB,,,will talk about today, tomorrow.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Comp next weekend; must have new suede put on heels before then.
    3wishes likes this.
  6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

There is pre comp and post comp disorder. What about the disorder when rest of studio has gone for a comp and you didn't! It's been hard working while they are all having fun!
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me, the best solution to that is to enjoy all of the other things that I love... and to not see it as me missing out...
    sbrnsmith likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I only have lessons every other week now...but I am re-connecting with everything else that I love and experiencing a new appreciation for my dancing all at the same time...I find it is never wise to reflect upon what we can't have...we have to choose to direct our energies in a different direction....
    debmc, Dancing Irishman and cornutt like this.
  9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Amen to that...have had to take a looooong break from competing because of starting a new partnership and not being able to drill out that many hours of practice a week between our schedules. I've had to remind myself a few times that my learning journey is more important than any short term comp results or the fun that comes with them.
  10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Mrf. The pre-Nationals jitters have officially started for me. I consider this a very, very bad sign.
  11. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I can so so so relate to the feeling I get when I'm missing a comp while others are there having hours and hours of endless fun! So while I'm sorry to hear of others' going through the same thing, I'm also glad to know I'm not alone. And yes, I should use the time more productively and enjoy the other blessings in my life... and there are many.
    debmc and sbrnsmith like this.
  12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

Try reading--or re-reading--the Inner Game of Tennis. Somebody mentioned it in another thread. I read it years ago, recommended to me by a sailing coach, and when I started getting nervous before my last competition I decided to re-read it. Definitely the best I have ever done in terms of nerves, and dancing. I did a championship for the first time and somebody asked me what I thought of the experience. When I said "fun" she looked at me as if I were crazy, particularly given that I'm know for having the potential for blind panic in a competition. :) (OK, true blind panic has only happened a couple of times and for short duration, but you get the idea.)
    debmc likes this.
  13. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Pre comp disorder has begun...in my case dreams every night of prepping for comp and having forgot something or running late with hair and make up....always wake up in a cold sweat...not funny
  14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Something that's actually been immensely helpful for me is taking some really basic yoga classes and focusing on the breathing and core engagement...for whatever reason I find the experience incredibly soothing.
  15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

So I'm roughly 10 pages into The Inner Game of Tennis, and my reaction is pretty much "OMG WHY HAVE I NOT READ THIS BEFORE?!!eleventy1!" I'd read references to it on this board before, but had never broken down and gotten myself a copy. Thanks for giving me that extra nudge. :)
    debmc and dlliba10 like this.
  16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

It was required reading in my Basic Acting class in undergrad and its lessons have stuck ever since. Love it.
  17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

I'm happy you're finding it helpful. I'll add a thanks to Musicbrain for reminding me about it in another thread. One of the things that I like about it is that it is short enough to get through in a reasonable amount of time! (I'm throwing that in for anybody else who might be thinking of reading it;))
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Love that book!
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Gah...why did I leave my dress to the last minute!?

I have 2.5 days until my comp...have to tan, style my wig, hem my dress, stone my dress, make my floats, make accessories, help dance friend with her hair, and make a men's Latin shirt for myself.

Silly.
  20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Should be in ultra practice mode as I am competing in three days, but both my partner and I didn't really feel like practicing last night...owell.