pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Currently giddy with excitement (competing for the first time since November!!!) mixed with lots of anxiety (will I even be able to dance full speed? Will I finish sewing my pants in time? Etc.)

Also, I'm dancing with a random partner from another school for half of it, which just adds to the fun.
    cornutt likes this.
  2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Ugh gonna be sick worrying about nationals--- worried about how well I"ve heard dem east coasters dance standard. I mean, we've done really well recently, but I'm concerned it is going to be a whole different ball game
  3. Loki

Loki Active Member

It's like studying for an exam IMO. No point in oversaturating yourselves.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

here's the thing: you aren't in control of that...if they are better, they are better....if the panel is east coast, the panel is east coast....the only thing you can control is dancing your best....and even failing to do that is a forgivable offense...it's the tough part about competing...only caring about your own progress
    Dean, Enjouee, Sania and 4 others like this.
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, for sure. Our (primary) goal is to go out there and do the best possible dancing we can to bid farewell to syllabus. Placing well would be icing on the cake, though:)
    stash likes this.
  6. fascination

as bob powers said....sometimes you place well and it's politics... sometimes you place poorly and it's politics...best to just dance well and if you don't place well, work harder....
    best to dance so well that if the marks don't reflect it, it isn't you who looks bad :).... good marks are nice...they can make you feel really good...sometimes they mean something...but, it's complicated
  7. Loki

Loki Active Member

The proof is in the videos?
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  8. fascination

not unless you can see how everyone danced
  9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I was thinking that Loki's comment meant the video will give you a feel for your personal improvement, not so much you placement compared to others.
    fascination and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I'll be cheering for you when my eye's are glued to the viewfinder of the camera
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  11. fascination

completely agree about being able to see personal progress...just not a good tool for seeing how it compared to fellow dancers if that is a concern
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Tanning and paranoid as usual about whether or not it'll turn out splotchy. Sometimes I'm really tempted to tan for real or get some pro to do it for me...alas, cancer risk and lack of funds...
    Lioness likes this.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I bought a groupon for an airbrush tan. Having it done tomorrow night. Nervous and excited.
  14. Loki

Loki Active Member

Yes.
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've left tanning to the last minute this time...usually I do it 2-3 days beforehand so I can layer it and fix any splotches. It's the night before my comp and I'm only just about to do my first coat. Hoping it works well.
  16. iadancer4kelley

iadancer4kelley New Member

I am getting ready for my second pro-am comp ever. Panic is setting in, but the Bob Power's quote, fascination stated above really hit home for me. :)
  17. Dancing Irishman

Just found out that my smooth/rhythm partner won't be at the welcome dance, so we'll be figuring out our gold and silver smooth / rhythm routines right before we go on the floor....let the panic begin (she's a TBA follow from another school).

Why did I decide this would be a good bucket list idea again?
  18. Sania

Sania Active Member

Are you coming to the Austin Open? :)
  19. Dancing Irishman

Nope...university of michigan's comp, but same weekend. Definitely plan to make Austin open next year barring any disastrous conflicts, but new partner and I are still a couple months away from having a routine up to full speed, but this weekend I'm reuniting with a college friend for latin/standard (I danced with her once upon a time years ago, but we've both changed a lot since then, so basically starting from scratch). And then I'm partnering with a girl I found by posting on Facebook for the event for American...more worried about that one since we're doing gold/silver.

Lesson tonight got me feeling more "ok, I got this" in smooth, so hopefully I can just carry that attitude straight into rhythm.

But for now, laundry and fake tan and panic about packing time!!
    Sania likes this.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Had pre-competition disorder last week...this week ambivalent about the whole thing...trying to make the most about a less than stellar situation...have new dance shoes ready (only wore them for one other event)...bought new dance tights...made some minor stone repairs to dress, have a few more to make...also repaired a pair of earrings that I may not wear after all, another pair looks better...have all the makeup and hair products I need...feeling better from respiratory related illness, should be ok for Sunday...last lesson pre comp is tomorrow afternoon...have no expectation of anything now...my goals are 1) dance on the big floor, 2) complete all 9 entries, and 3) hopefully get a video...anything else is a plus...
    cornutt likes this.