pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Last comp of a three weekend in a row comp run! Its been tons of fun, but honestly, I'm ready for a break from tanning, then spotting, then tanning, molting, tanning, etc.

Purr and Loki like this.
  2. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I just had my 4th comp ever. Happy to say I found strategies to handle the pre-com jitters. Well, anxiety attack, really. Last comp I was excited, but calm and focused. Yay. And I won some $ in a scholarship to boot. Post comp video was still hard to watch, but I'm trying to limit the negative talk and use the video to work on next goals. Rome was not built in a day.

Dean and fascination like this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

In the airport en route to first comp in five months! Surprisingly calm about it right now, despite the whole "dancing with partners for the comp for the first time tomorrow morning" thing (which *should* cause me to panic, but hasn't).

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I doubt if anyone really likes watching their post comp video. Nothing ever looks as good as it may feel on the dance floor. I only use mine as a learning tool.

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I *like* watching my post-comp video, but it's actually no entirely uncommon for my reaction to it to be "ok, that wasn't actually the *complete* hot mess I thought it was".

ajiboyet and dlliba10 like this.
  6. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I never really liked "Dance like no one is watching", 'cause I feed off the smiles, but maybe I should "Dance like I am not going to watch this later!".

ajiboyet, cornutt, dancelvr and 2 others like this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I like to dance for people who love me...that way, whatever the video looks like, I gave it my best

cornutt likes this.
  8. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."
    Blanche Dubois, A Streetcar Named Desire

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was a little disappointed, but not completely surprised, by my video from the weekend event. It just highlighted what I already know I need to work on. :meh: :rolleyes: :pain: That being said, I did the best I could.

10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Pre comp disorder is in full swing- complete with nightmares about not being ready with hair and makeup and it's time for our heats. I could use more sleep and less nightmares.

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Comp is 5 weeks away, and I was clicking along all calm and confident, despite pro's impending departure for three of those weeks. He leaves in the morning, so about an hour ago we talked entries... And he wants to up-level. Despite the catastrophe that was my dancing at points during my last comp, he thinks I'm more than ready. Let the freaking out begin... Though I'm hopeful I'll feel better after I sleep on it.

12. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

I'm definitely more stressed at the beginning of the training, I’m worried about the routine, the technique, my costume, my hair, my registration etc… you name it… as the training progress, I feel more and more confident, secure and peaceful, but then, out of nowhere in the morning of the comp (I compete at night luckily), I started to have butterflies, after my hair and makeup is done, I couldn’t find my earrings, totally uncalled for ugh (2 days later, I found them in a side pocket of my luggage but of course they disappear when you look for them), that little incident definitely added fuel to my anxiety… I also had that ‘OMG what hell did I get myself into this time’ moment when I looked over the floor before my rounds lol but my coach kept on reassuring me ‘everything will be fine, I’ll catch you, I won’t let you fall it’s my job’ lol that helps a lot, and yes my body was still a bit stiff at the beginning because of the nervousness… I know if I competed more often, this would become a second nature, but the truth is, I can only compete (pro-am) that much with my limited budget, so before that, I guess I’ll just keep on training including the mental preparation, so that I get to fully enjoy those brief moment instead of letting those inner talk getting in the way…

13. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Cannot wait for my first comp in like a year and a half. UGGGHHH so long. will be so fun!

cornutt likes this.
  14. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

4 weeks away from comp, stress does not normally set in until a week before comp.
    New gown will be ready for a try on and final alterations in a few weeks.
    LOL, I am more stressed that I made the right design decisions than the comp.

15. Janson

Janson Active Member

Very excited to be competing again after a couple of months break - although it's the first time I've not had any practice with the partner I'm dancing with. Hey, good excuse to work on lead and follow right? It's a nice small local comp, so shouldn't be too stressful at least.

16. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

First comp in long time this Friday and Saturday! I'm nervous that I'll get nervous and not do what I've done in practice. Weird. hopefully the solution is even more rounds this week.

stash and JudeMorrigan like this.
  17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Less than 2 weeks to go... prep is well underway. Registration is done, hotel is booked, dress is altered, new lipstick purchased, fresh hair colour applied today... nails and tan will happen next week.

And thank goodness, pro is back today. Haven't seen the man in almost a month!

18. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Member

Biggest symptom for me is nightmares about the comp: forgetting the routine, going to the wrong venue, etc.... in last night's episode, I slept through ALL of my events. I woke up in a pool of sweat (and tanner).

19. Dean

Dean New Member

my first ever comp this coming Saturday. Really worried about being able to get up on time, I started to woke up really early since last weekend, around 3 or 4 each morning. But I am really afraid I will overslept on Saturday. ( my pro told me to be there before 6 am. (comp starts at 7) 45 mins drive, 1 hour for shower/shave/hair etc. and 15 mins for a quick breakfast, so I need to get up around 4 am. )

Last weekend, I nailed all the routines. But for last night's run through, I randomly forgot about all different parts of the routines. Guess I have to prepare for the certainty that I will have brain farts during the comp. Several more run throughs on Wed and Thurs night. I am taking Friday off to buy all the "comp items". Ready or not, it will be comp time on Sat!

20. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Member

Good luck!!

I'd also like to add "checking obsessively to see if event times have been posted."