pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

2. TakeTwo

TakeTwo New Member

My impatience got the best of me. I went to compmngr and experimented with URLs to see if the the heat lists had been posted there. Success!! :D
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

So funny, I do that too!
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I should not have checked heat lists for people other than me... bad idea... now I'm nervous.
    jiwinco likes this.
  5. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Speaking of pre-comp disorders, is anyone dancing at Millennium this weekend? It's my comeback comp....I am dancing against USDC finalists and champions (International standard open gold "A") I. AM. TERRIFIED. I think I am in over my head...!!!!
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you know, there are so many things in play there...how well known your pro is....how many comps you go to....how well judges know you...how well you dance...how well others dance....what particular things and given pnel is looking at/for....you cannot spend time letting the line up freak you out
    anntennis, Sania and Kelly Long like this.
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ah, the week before early registration ends for a planned comp.

*refresh*
    Nope. No new entries.
    *refresh*
    Nope, still no new entries.
    *refresh...*
    Dancing Irishman and dancelvr like this.
  8. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

My pro is still fairly new in this country so we will see. And I haven't competed in about 5 years
    j_alexandra likes this.
  9. fascination

then understand that you may have difficulty getting a great placement right off the bat....and don't assume your dancing is the sole factor....keep showing up and impressing...and it will eventually have an impact
    ajiboyet, Purr and Kelly Long like this.
  10. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

How does how well known a pro is, affect results? Just curious.
  11. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Dncergrl I was thinking the same thing...
  12. fascination

when judges have only a few minutes they can tend to go with what they know....and they also have established ties to them
  13. Loki

Loki Active Member

I know a few who say it makes a world of difference.

Does a world-famous chef get all the rave restaurant reviews?
  14. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Yes, all the successful competitive pro/am dancers I know either dance with very well-known pros or take coaching from well-known pros and judges on a regular basis. Or their pros are competing themselves and majority of judges do know them.
    s2k likes this.
  15. fascination

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

There can be a myriad of factors why your marks may be what they are, and it might not be your dancing. I've taken my marks from my last few outings with a grain of salt - they are what they are, and I can't change them. But I'm doing it for me, not the marks, and I know I've improved a lot over the past year. Even if I get marks again that are abysmal, I'm not going to be surprised or get discouraged about it.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

It is not impossible to score well with a pro that is not well known, I have scored well with such a pro, just harder. This is especially true when dancing a straight final. In the larger comps like Ohio, though, with so many dancers on the floor the judges are going to look at the pro's or the pro am dancer that they know... It is hard to make a final when they don't look at you!
  18. fascination

right...outliers happen....but one shouldn't be shocked if it doesn't work out that way
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I prefer to think of it as needing to stand out on my own, regardless of who my pro is. It's my job to make an impression :)
  20. fascination

sure....but you can make an impression and still not get the mark...for a variety of reasons...
    Purr likes this.