pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate for those that can't dance with a well known pro for whatever reason....distance, time, money....not everyone can dance with the 1-2 top pros for pro-am....

s2k likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

^^ Agreed.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well look, I am not saying the top 1-2....I am saying that it is beneficial to be a frequent flyer over various regions to many comps and recieving much coaching from a variety of sources...again, I am not saying it is impossible to get a good result otherwise...I am saying there is an advantage if you have those things and you need to remember that before you stick your head in an oven over your placements

4. fascination

I've had a well known pro...I've had a pro who got better known b/c we danced our brains out....I had successes with both...it's complicated...sometimes a well known pro can also bite you in the rear...well known and well loved are also not always the same...and there is even more to it than that....it is many many factors and how they combine and interact...I just mention it because of the number of folks who work their butts off, mark poorly and are then ready to quit

ajiboyet and Purr like this.
  5. sbrnsmith

I get what you are saying....and am pretty happy with my pro and what his achievements are....it just makes me wonder...how much does it really matter....maybe Larinda can weigh in from a judge's perspective....do you give that extra point to someone who is dancing with a well known pro...or someone who is also well known, but not competing in every major comp out there...just doing their thing....fact is, we are all limited by something....whether it's geography, lack of access, time or money....in the end is pro am becoming a sport for only the wealthy??

6. fascination

we have an entire thread on that question....no judge is ever going to admit to any sort of lazy or political behavior....that being said, I am not even claiming that it is always overt....you have 2 minutes and a room full of people...you already know that "susie comps alot and her world class pro" are on the floor, shrug...you may mark them....again, lots of things factor in...the look of the couple... whether or not they are local to the venue and therefore very connected to the panel...how well they are dancing, how well others are dancing...so let's not inflate the magnitude of my observation...I am simply saying that it often helps...and anyone who says that it doesn't help sometimes...well....I wouldn't respect that

7. sbrnsmith

No, I'm not saying it doesn't help...I'm sure it does....that makes it less than fair to the legions that are out there spending there hard earned dollars to be on a comp floor competing....not saying life is fair....

8. fascination

well right....that is just it....lots of things aren't fair...folks who get caught on that are going to be frustrated...because you can always point and whine about something...no matter what....

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think the point is that once one understands some of the dynamics involved, it helps to understand placements.

I think the absolute best dancer in a group that day, is virtually always the winner. It's when dancers are close or identical in their abilities that other factors come into play.

I like to use this information...as someone who is not a 'high roller' to work on improving my dancing to the point where the other factors won't matter. In the meantime, I enjoy it for its own reward!

fascination likes this.
  10. sbrnsmith

It's just that there are so many factors, all are important.... The right brand name dress, as opposed to a dress from China, hair and make up, the right pro.... Hopefully one who is well known and among the top few pros dancing pro-am, coaching on a regular basis with well respected coaches, doing enough comps to become recognizable, living in a geographic area where you have access to the well known pros, being able to spend the amount needed to do enough entries at a comp....being able to do several comps.... Everyone of these needs adequate resources of time and money, therefore pro am is truly a sport for the wealthy..... And I can take this to the other thread, but what I'm saying is, it's easy to get discouraged if you don't have all of the above. And yes, life isn't fair. But everyone who participates, contributes in some way to this pro am machinery, keep the comps going, and yet if it is indeed skewed, is it worth it?

Purr likes this.
  11. fascination

I probably wouldn't go that far.....I would say that about 80% of the time the best dancer wins...and another 20% of the time weird things happen due to varied interests...from first place on down

12. fascination

how good you are does matter...I know a three time national open winner and open world winner at least twice....I myself have won quite a few closed and open titles...those wins were the result mostly of very hard work and practicing...the woman I am thinking of practiced daily alone and owned her own dancing...those things DO matter....but there were also times when both she and I recieved results that were...not expected by anyone...they could have been due to an off day, they could have been due to circumstances beyond our control...what I am saying to a newer dancer is that it is toxic to make the competing be SOLELY about the official result.....you MUST make it about your own progress ....and marks are only one measurement of that.... like BMI...it might be accurate...it might not

Dean and debmc like this.
  13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Life is skewed. Hard work and what you can actually do matter both in dance results and in life, but other factors come into play. No reason to quit because we can only control some of the factors. If one is ONLY competing for results, it all becomes an issue. I danced the best that I have ever danced on a competition floor last week and that is MY achievement and what my pro and I are very happy about. My placements, good or poor, depended on many, many other factors. (And I'm not even going to say what they were because they are irrelevant to our being happy/pleased/proud.)

fascination likes this.
  14. fascination

one of the wonderful things about competing is the life lessons that it teaches you....about what you need to work on in your dancing and in your spirit, about your ego, about who you want to dance with, about why you dance, about how to win and lose with grace...about caring for yourself and others in the midst of it...about having a spirit of gratitude, about not letting the BS control your life...about who is about their bottom line and who really gives a flip.....it is about so much more than you think at first

debmc and mnldoc like this.
  15. sbrnsmith

This is true.
    However, it's possibly also true that having more financial resources may give you an edge

16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Of course it does, just as it does in many other parts of life. That doesn't change MY accomplishments.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Gah, packing for competition.

2 thoughts occurring from this process: I may have a slight shoe addiction, and OMG, I eat a lot of food.

Dean likes this.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sure it does. But you can overcome that edge by working harder, practicing more...I have a good friend who does that...most of her work in dance is on her own....and her results reflect her hard work.

fascination likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree...especially if all the dancers are close in abilities.

20. fascination

right....I wasn't arguing that it didn't matter either....