pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I think we are on the same page: acknowledge that there are a lot of factors at play that we CANNOT control, are willing to work our a$$ off on the ones we can, and go for it.

I also suspect that worrying/obsessing about all of those other issues is a symptom of pre-competition disorder. I try to keep my concerns steady across time, if that makes sense. That is, rather than worrying about something as a competition is getting closer, I try to anticipate those concerns and deal with them (either actually or mentally) well ahead of time. In other words, I am working on turning my potential to panic long before a competition into an asset. :rolleyes: I am not really joking about this: I'm always planning past the current events. Knowing what I want to get out the impending competition/whatever for the future competitions/whatevers helps me to focus and concentrate on what really matters to me.

I have acknowledged in other posts/threads that my capacity for stage-fright/panic is extraordinarily high. Because of that, I have had develop some pretty good tools for dealing with it and it's really only my pro who understands how bad it can be. Most people can't tell, and I've gotten to where I can suspend it pretty well on the dance floor… and then have a melt-down afterwards--which is to say that I still have a lot of work to do! My latest achievement is that I have convinced myself that it is natural to smile when I make a mistake: the result is that I got compliments on how comfortable I looked on the floor at my last comp. As an added bonus, studies have shown that smiling really does help you relax and it seems to be true. (Don't worry, I'm not smiling in the middle of a tango!)

I hope some of this helps other people deal with their pre-competion issues!

debmc and fascination like this.
  2. kckc

kckc Active Member

Exactly. I think of it as a tie-breaker essentially. If there are two couples who are essentially equal, that is where having the better-known pro might be an advantage. No more, no less.

3. Kelly Long

Kelly Long New Member

Coming full circle on this, I got 3rd out of 6 in my open championship (not too bad) and did not make the finals for my open A scholarship. I realized I was competing against the top 6 dancers in the same category at USDC last year so even though I danced well, it wasn't enough to overcome the political landscape.

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Just over 3 months out from my first comp in a while and I've already started googling information...it's a local comp 15-30 minutes from my house, there is no reason why I should be looking it up already!

Looks like this is going to be a prolonged case of pre-comp disorder.

5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Last major pre-comp disorder incident was at Blackpool, I again made mess to my tanning:( this time won't be able to fix by sponges dipped in nail polish remover:( had to run to Winter Garden to buy the super brown tan scrub remover last minute!!! But after cleaned up, turned out all ok, just the scrub tan remover kind of pain on neck to use, need to rub and rinse in water. Now I am really happy with my dress design/ choice- most recent two dresses both have long gloves covered forearms:) no need to worry tanning mess on forearms:) sometimes girls asked me, "why you always wearing dresses with lots fabrics, covering arms and not too low back, you have nice skin / back"...I answered them, "no matter how nice your skin looks, if you make a tanning mess, won't look that nice anymore." Have a dress more covered automatically taking away one major hassle created by tanning mess and reduce the pre-comp disorder level:))

j_alexandra likes this.
  6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Last night nightmares about comp and not being ready with hair or makeup.... Next comp I am planning is in Sept.... Way too early for pre comp nightmares

7. s2k

s2k Active Member

How's this one: dress rehearsal last night in a new dress. Discovered that I need to sew in about an inch and a half of mesh between the cups because what we weren't sure would happen did in fact, happen in open rumba. :eek: I did the rest of the rehearsal with my sports bra on under the dress. I have until next Friday to fix it because I really want to wear this new dress!

FancyFeet likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

And that's why test runs are such a good idea :)

s2k likes this.
  9. s2k

s2k Active Member

Our instructor joked and said, "That's not the way to win." ;)

dancelvr and FancyFeet like this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I beg to differ... :cool:

11. Sania

Sania Active Member

I imagine you would feel quite differently if the cup was on the other...oh never mind :cool:

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Two comps coming up back to back! I'm starting to feel the PCD! It always surprises me...I should be totally comfortable with this by now!

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have the last of three competitions close together (for me) coming up next week. My pro has short circuited any chance of PCD by working on the details of the most basic foundational movements. I love it, I know from experience that when we go back to dancing "routines" that my dancing will be better, and I'm so pleased with what I'm learning that there's no room in my head to worry about the competition. Not true for everybody, but we both figured out a while ago that for me the best way to approach a comp is to pretty pretend it isn't there.

14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I am about 6-7 weeks away from my next comp, but having these weird pre comp dreams....nightmares actually, mostly of hair and makeup not ready in time....wake up in a cold sweat...aargh!

Budwall and TakeTwo like this.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

A little less than two months out from the comp...and PCD is setting in hard for me. Rounds today during our Latin lesson were a hot mess and a half (totally out of sync, totally whiffing on choreo, looked totally disconnected and lacked any real chemistry) and I only really know one of my four smooth routines well (and only two of the four are finished, the other 2 are 2/3 choreographed and about 1/3 taught to me).

I'm sure the panic will set in with a fully renewed vengeance once the comp's closer...mostly of the "what the f$%* am I doing claiming I'm good enough to dance Open Latin" (previously never competed above silver in Latin). Thank goodness my smooth pro am stuff takes it nice and easy with just Silver events (though from what I've heard, Silver in pro/am is a whole different ballgame than silver in am/am).

16. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Member

Oof, you have my sympathies. I get the nightmares too: both hair and makeup and missing my events because I went to the wrong venue (you know, because there's always another comp happening across the street...). Maybe I'll escape it next time around.

17. Sania

Sania Active Member

You will be surprised (or not be surprised) at how quickly it will come together as the comp approaches

and good for you for going for it with Open Latin! I would do the same if I had an amateur partner. :)

18. FancyFeet

Not true PCD as of yet, but due to a minor sense of panic and lack of preparedness, I did have a text-chat with pro yesterday about another impending absence of his (and he just got back from one) and the need to re-visit the plan for my next comp in 5 weeks when we see each other. Right now I'm thinking my choices are: 1) stick to the original plan and have things look not quite polished; 2) downgrade the plan, and only put out 3 (or 4) dances that will be sufficiently polished; or 3) skip the competition entirely, and find a different one to attend.

As it's at "home", I'm leaning toward option #2... but I'm not happy about it.

19. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

2 sounds like what'd I go with. Find your favorites, and make them look great. They probably all look better than you think as well.

20. FancyFeet

It will indeed be option number 2... the dances that are part of the 3-dance championship, and maybe VW (pro says yes to VW, I say I'll think about whether I want to drop the cash to do it at this one if it's only as a single dance, or whether I want to put that cash toward a later comp).

I am still not happy, but on the plus side, I have next to no pre-comp stress at this point due to this decision... 'cause my worries are down to just one wall in QS that I cannot quite execute at speed yet. (Usually at this point pre-comp there are whole routines or multiple spots in several routines that I am freaking out over.)