pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

So jealous of you there...comp in about a month and we can't execute anything to speed yet. We'll be deciding whether or not jive is cut at the end of this month and I'm not looking forward to that decision.
  2. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, I am jealous too...
    One wall, are you kidding me I have about 8 walls between all the routines that are questionable...

I have taken to putting our new routines in my ipad notes so I can review it wherever I am...
    Oh good lord!! At least pro had pity on me today and did not change the foxtrot much.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Don't be jealous, you two... 'cause I would really prefer to not have had to drop a dance to get to this happy place. 'Sides, now the pressure comes from the expectation that they be done perfectly, rather than an expectation that I just get through them without it being a complete disaster. Pro keeps talking about what I need to do to beat so-and-so, or what she does better than I do and how to compensate for that...

And while I'm enjoying the somewhat-reduced-from-normal stress, I realized yesterday that I have three lessons left before comp due to pro's impending departure (and he's only been back a week since the last time away)... currently I'm just praying that the lack of dancing the routines with another human being doesn't cause me to injure him during step hops, etc.
  4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

First time competing since nationals next week. First time competing rhythm for over a year and a half. Getting nervous. Starting teeth whiting tonight, tan later on (happy because I'm leftover tan from this summer so I don't have to do anything quite so drastic!)
  5. llamasarefuzzy

Decided to try out fake nails. Look sharp, but literally feel like I can't do anything with my hands. Conctacts, hair and makeup will be a struggle tomorrow
    stash likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

OMG, OMG, OMG... trying to breathe, and tell myself that I'm ready (well - will be, by the end of the weekend), and everything will be good.

Why am I so freaked out today? Arg.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

How did it work with the fake nails? I am assuming you mean the stick on kind?
  8. sbrnsmith

If it is any consolation- I am plagued by pre comp nightmares....last night I dreamt that I was dancing an Am- Am comp....which I don't do....and we were being called up on stage to receive our 'awards'
  9. FancyFeet

Lol... the nerves are more manageable today. I had a chat with pro late last night where I shared that I was nervous this time - more nervous than I have been for the last couple of competitions. I think it's competing at 'home' for the first time, with all new routines, a fairly recent significant change to my posture/stance and a new dress... it's making it feel like I've never done this before!

Pro had some nice calming things to say, is glad I told him that I am oddly nervous, and has promised we'll find empty-studio time (in case of malfunction!) to do a full test of the dress, enough in advance to give me time for more alterations if needed.

Nine days to go.
    sbrnsmith likes this.
  10. llamasarefuzzy

They were absolutely awful. I lasted through my shower the next morning and decided to take them off. I couldn't do anything with them on! (I always keep my nails very, very short because I started piano when I was three, then was a bassist, so it was required). If those are the difference between judges marks or not, I don't even care. Would rather lose than wear those things. In the future I'm going to stick with short, clean and nicely polished nails.
    debmc and sbrnsmith like this.
  11. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Well groomed nails are just fine. I am certain you will not be marked down for your nails!!!
    llamasarefuzzy and debmc like this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Two weeks and change to competition (1 week to showcase). I still need to sew: latin shirt, latin slacks, and smooth slacks.

Streeeeeeeeessssssssssssss...
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree! I put super long nails on for last comp....couldn't do a thing...had to take them off as soon as I got home due to my line of work...now my nail beds look destroyed....won't do that again. I'm putting long fake nails in the 'you should wear hose' category....people say it matters...I don't think it matters....
    stash and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  14. sbrnsmith

So....digging deeper- maybe I should be posting in makeup thread- but what is the best way for a french manicure? In my line of work, I wash my hands 50 times a day and NO manicure lasts on my hands. I have never had acrylics. I have tried regular polish, which chips very quickly. I have tried gel manicures but even that didn't have staying power on my nails. I have a set of fake stick on nails, but not sure they will work. I don't know what to do.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I wash my hands a lot as well...with alcohol based solutions! I get a French manicure gel polish day before comp...that seems to last throughout comp, and if I keep my nails short I can keep it for a few days at work. They last about a week.
  16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Better read my Nitobe Inazo again...
  17. sbrnsmith

I tried the French manicure gel polish day before comp twice and it chipped within few hours....it definitely did not last few days :(
    I kept my nails short too
  18. s2k

s2k Active Member

I've tried drugstore French manicure wraps and loved them... For a day. If you have a high arched nail bed, those stickers won't lie flat. If you have flat nail bed, the stickers will last a week or two. I've also tried the jamberry wraps and those lasted longer, but i had the same problem with the wraps not lying flat on my nails done my nail bed are not flat.
  19. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I used to get acrylics, but now I use the Broadway Impress press on nails. these are not like the Lee press on nails from my childhood - they stay on really well IF you wash and dry your hands first, then use their prep pad, and then don't get your hands wet for about an hour after you put them on. I leave these suckers on ALL WEEK when I wear the short ones. They sell them at Walgreens and Target. They have medium length ones that are nice for girls who have long nail beds or who want longer nails. Occasionally one pops off, but they come with extras, so i just pop another on. I do keep some nail glue in my dance bag just in case.

You can buy them online at onlinebeautysupply.com as well. LOVE THESE. i wear them every week, actually, to keep my nails looking nice - i just wear the short length ones.

YMMV, but i adore them. http://www.beautyonlinesupply.com/nails-1/impress-1.html

Attached Files:

dancelvr and sbrnsmith like this.
  20. sbrnsmith

I can't find these at Target, but I will look in Walgreens tomorrow
    The wraps are a great idea- except, I have really short nail beds and wraps or jamberry don't really look good on me