pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

ROTFL...

powders, slurries, whateveh....am thinking ego at this point won't ever be the same.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wide awake at 5:00AM which was a mystery until I remembered that it is probably due to it being a comp week...why does this always happen?.....like clockwork my adrenalin level goes up...gah

3. fascination

it truly is ridiculous...have been competing for five years this week (crystal ball 05 was my first comp) and I still get wired leading up to a comp

4. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

I have a comp. this weekend....& this just happened to me...now I'm freaked out. In my dream I missed all my heats & couldn't find my coach...it was terrible hahha

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fasc, have you ever tried corework-to-exhaustion to help with the anxiety? i recommend it all the time but i don't think i've heard one person yet try it for pre-comp nervousness, lolz.

have used it quite a number of times when nervousness about something triggers a difficult-to-metabolize adrenalin rush, and it has always helped.

there are energetic/chakric justifications why this can be so effective and calming...

just a suggestion.

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

This happened to me all the time, I would check my makeup bags multiple times worrying forgot favorite, bronzer, eye-liner, the correct shade of lippie or the eyeshadow matches with my dress.
    Also would re-confirm hair appointment multiple times, checking comp site multiple times for possible schedule change, etc.

7. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Mine is still 14 weeks away..

Oh crap as soon as I typed that my brain went to "So that means 7 or 8 more trips to Cbus, two lessons a piece, so like 15 more lessons..."
    Don't DO that!!!

8. liz

liz New Member

having this problem as we speak

9. liz

liz New Member

mine panic started over the weekend.... dreams of not being able to find my latin dresses and not making it to the ballroom because of crazy drawn out events...Can feel the anxiety starting in my shoulder blades... Millenium will be my first comp dancing latin, with my new pro, and the first time we will be on a big floor to see how our material works,and to top it all off no one has seen us dance at alll. Been alone practicing for six months. Don't know how he is going to be on the comp floor... He is growing more impatient and I have two new latin dresses that I haven't danced in yet......Been waking up at about 3:00 and can't go back to sleep.

10. fascination

liz...i will be there...look me up :)

11. liz

liz New Member

Will do... Getting there Friday.

12. liz

liz New Member

Now, I am getting a cold which is probably stress related... The I don't feel like I can do anything right and I am not ready thoughts are totally making practicing alot harder...sniff sniff and nobody feels sorry for me. sniff sniff

13. fascination

liz...right about now is when i remind myself that if I am going to spend this much money, I owe it to myself to enjoy it...regardless of the incidentals that threaten to ruin it...so while it may not be ideal, it will be good enough

14. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

Pre-comp disorder is in full effect and causing anxiety dreams. Last night I dreamed that my husband and I completely forgot we had a lesson scheduled. In the dream our lesson was supposed to be at 2:00; around 4:00 we both looked at the clock, then at each other, and started freaking out.

Weirdly enough, we really did have a lesson scheduled for 2:00 this afternoon but pro contacted us this morning to cancel because he is sick. Which doesn't make me any less anxious... :-(

15. fascination

aw...feelin for ya...and don't forget the post -comp disorder thread in a few weeks :)...i should go find it

16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Having some of it too. Feeling like nothing's working and as an added bonus <sarcasm>, my parents will be there to watch it in person. Oh well, Colorado, here I come, ready or not.

17. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

More disorder: since I grow out my own nails for comps rather than having acrylics done, I've gone from hoping they grow long enough to cursing them because they are getting in the way of my typing.

18. laylamah

laylamah New Member

I can't stop dreaming about shaping in the tumble turn! @_@

19. liz

liz New Member

my nerves are starting to calm down... Thank god

20. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

So far we have done about ten seconds of a waltz routine. Seriously? Competing in September? No friggen way is that going to happen.