pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when I switched pros, I learned 19 new routines in five weeks to do my first comp at usdsc two years ago...insanity, but it is possible...and I did all right considering the circumstances
  2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Did I mention that out of 9 dances I want to do (smooth and latin) I have not learned anything yet in four of them. hahaha. Why are we planning to compete again? I'm going to end up doing waltz and rumba. hahaha.
  3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Gotta start somewhere! I'm sure you will at least have fun, WW! :artsy:
  4. wonderwoman

Writing down these concerns in my little notebook and we will talk about it. Sigh.
  5. fascination

certainly you should mention the concern...and mention that you won't compete in things you feel too uncertain about...it is alot of money to go out and know you are not ready...and then just ask to tape the routines if he has routines....then go home and work the steps alone so you don't have to waste lesson time and money on patterns...then do technique for two of the dances each lesson...rotating over the course of then next weeks
  6. fascination

speaking of PCD, Wayne Eng really needs to stop sending emails entitled; "x number of weeks util usdsc"...I have a spasm everytime I get one
  7. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

just realized manhattan is next week :shock:

better book some extra lessons to clean up a few things... why, oh, why is my studio closed on mondays??? i will never get an appointment. :(

fasc, will you be at manhattan?
  8. fascination

unfortunately not...doing millenium this week
  9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

10. wonderwoman

thanks for your advice

for all i know he has a plan and he feels like he can get me there.. knowing him that is probably the case, he is a very confident and ambitious man
  11. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Ask him what level he thinks you should be competing (is it your first comp?). Remember that most of the other people on the floor will be at your same level (sandbaggers aside). And all that will be expected of you is to dance well *at that level*, not against some standard of wonderfulness.

I know money's tight, so you might also want to ask him soon how much the total cost will be.
  12. wonderwoman

It would be my first comp.... we also think I should just try one to see if I like competing... I don't know if I will.
  13. fascination

we have a first comp thread that would should probably take all other first comp issues to
  14. fascination

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

16. fascination

lolz....I thought I was being helpful to others but I will probably need it more for myself...
  17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

pre-comp disorder this go around....having to restrain myself from throttling those around me. *grin*
  18. kckc

kckc Active Member

have to get past this mental thing about my mambo. In practice, all of a sudden my heel has been getting caught in my skirt on this one move, and now I can't stop worrying about it when we practice. My dance dress for the comp is pretty full...what if I stumble...ack! Maybe if I move my heaps more the fabric will be out of the way for that split second.

*note* when DP says "hips" it sounds like "heaps". Somehow it just seems appropriate LOL
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

kckc, speaking as a latin type that has mooned the judges and audience more than a couple of times because of the heel in the dress syndrome, you can try to; tuck the skirt up for that dance, hold a bunch of back skirt fabric in one hand over a hip while performing troublesome movement, or change the angle in which you bring the foot down.

If you are going to try the skirt holding thing, practice grabbing the material right before the movement with a full skirt before the comp!!

Don't worry, we all have the problem with the heel in the dress. You see it all the time on the pro floor.
  20. kckc

kckc Active Member

well, we are holding hands during the move so I can't hold the dress up, luckily the costume is a dress and not a skirt though. I think it truly is the angle of my foot. It didn't happen at last practice so maybe I worked it out, whatever it was. Thank goodness. I've mooned enough people already.