pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

So I think our first comp will be MAC (in January...) and I'm already having precomp jitters and planning my tanning/nail schedule/take PTO at work schedule....

I had a Guinness at lunch to calm my nerves...

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm starting with my compulsive list-making. (I will STILL forget something, but at least there will be a list!)

3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Have my first comp in 8 months in a week. Trying to remember this is more about getting back on the floor, and is just a starting point for my future goals, nothing to get nervous about. It isn't working.

4. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I'm completely with you on that! I'm already prepping on how to deal with the stress the few weeks before the comp and the PREP is making me anxious and this comp is possibly three months away....

5. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

I have my first Am/Am competition this weekend. My partner is wayy more advanced than me. (I went from beginning silver to open champ gold!) Been practicing 2-4 hours on weekdays for the since august and 4-12 hours on weekends. I've been up until 5 a.m. for the past 2 weeks practicing my sliding doors and botofogos...

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF Polishbloo.
    ok,,,so the "list" is going going going...in my brain,,,shoes, heel protectors,,snacks...when is grandson out of school? really? boss will not let me leave early...sigh...jitters...practice VW-Smooth...since where DOES THAT FIGURE HAVE 4 positions?! bugger....ok, rethink...list...school...figures....oh yeah...practice..practice...and try not to flat-line in smooth. geeeez this weekend will be interesting.

7. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I don't feel like practising AT ALL, even though competition's next month. Something tells me that if I keep practising like that, I'll soon lose focus and don't want to compete again...blergh

8. ViviDancer

ViviDancer Member

Haha, my next comp is at the end of the month.

Currently training very hard, 6 times a week ;o Disregarding my body's exhaustion or pain most of the time.

During the comp, I would probably get nervous, sweaty palms, restless, unable to breathe, worries, the usual symptoms. But once the first dance is done, everything's back to normal! :)

9. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

I feel your pain Bia!

We had a big earthquake here in February and our studio was ruined. Luckily our teachers along with all the students were invited to share space with another studio across town, however even though it is a large studio, it is extremely busy with many social classes, and the owner also rents out floor space and practice rooms to other dance styles e.g. Belly Dancing and Burlesque, so there is virtually NO time to be found for competing couples to practice outside of our private lessons.

Our teachers are contemplating whether it will be viable for them to try and find another venue on their own, but there arent many around, as so many buildings were lost after the earthquake!

Im hoping they do manage to go ahead with it, am starting with a new partner for latin and we really need the practice time!

10. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

The smell of DHA...it's oddly comforting. Like an old friend. :)

Maybe I'm just high on the smell. Or the smell of Gemtac. I glued my fingers together again. Last minute dress repairs.

Can't close the makeup case. Really?? For one day of competition, I need that much makeup??

And, seriously?...for one day of competition, I need 8 pieces of luggage?

Did I forget anything? How is that even possible, I've packed the entire house! Good thing I'm driving.

Relax. Mentally go through the routines again. How awesome they felt at lessons last weekend. This is going to be a great comp! So excited. Maybe I should be nervous, but things felt so GOOD last weekend. Can't concentrate on anything, least of all work. Want to actually run through the routines, but I'd sweat off the tan I'm currently breathing, and we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Okay, breathe. Ah, DHA. I've missed that smell!!

11. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Hope you're all well over there MissKitty, good luck with finding the space!

First comp of the uni circuit starts in 3 weeks & 3 days...
    Has partner said she wants to compete? - yes
    Has partner confirmed whether she can do it? - no
    8 routines, 6 open, prepared? - no
    Number of practices scheduled? - none
    I need a drink...

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yikes...I'd pour you one if I could

13. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Thanks Fascination :) Same as last year... Let's just say it keeps the routines fresh and not over-practised? ;)

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, the smell of tanner. Everything smells of tanner in my house now. Plus the lists.. mani, pedi, brows, whiten teeth, pick up lashes, pack etc, etc. I am trying to get to the wonderful place of excited anticipation without feeling stressed. :) We'll see how that works out!

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Go DebMc GO !!!!!

16. Mrs B

Mrs B New Member

My next comp is in 13 hours. I've just made the last alterations to my dress, dyed my hair (not doing the jive so hoping the hair bun will stay in place) and done my nails at the same time (not recommended). Left to do: cut my husbands hair, hem his new pants so he can compete in them tomorrow, put on some tan, pack and maybe get some sleep. Well at least I'm not stressing over our routines simply because I don't have the time to so.

17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Best of luck Mrs. B and all of you competing soon!!!

18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, never dye/condition your hair the day before if you're wearing it in a bun and doing Jive. Ask me how I know.

19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

For those of us who are heading to either Florida Superstars or Heritage...seems like it is time to reactivate this thread. How do I know a comp is approaching? Because I keep on asking pro... "do you think we will be ready?", "should we really keep bla di bla step in this routine", etc, etc,....Plus I have added on a ton of extra lessons!

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we have begun the "let's pretend it doesn't matter and isn't happening" sort of co-existance...if I start discussing it and stressing, then he reacts to that...so I try to keep my nueroses to myself now :) and I honestly do try to focus more on how much I love it and how the only thing I am in control of is dancing it well and enjoying it