pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Good advice! It is interesting that before Ohio, I was not quite as nervous, probably because the material was very familiar. This is all new stuff, so it is like when I first started bronze. Nevertheless I am a strong advocate of the "fake it till you make it" philosophy.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

new material is a stressor for me...I don't feel good about it until I have done it at about half a dozen comps..it feels new until then...I have onl done the open smooth at three...and it just isn't enough for the sort of full confidence that is so important to do it the way it should be done...but I forgive myself...it will get there...:)
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Little less than two weeks out! :D I actually worry less about the dancing (lessons lately, I hear a lot of "I know you're going to it at the comp, but..." on stretch, reach, bigger arms, etc. He knows I'm lazy at home but will turn it on as soon as there's an audience) and time to start stressing over "How do I get there and should I go the night before or morning of and what if the weather is bad and I have two field trips the days before and one the day after and AGH!"
  4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'm getting stressed out because I'm not stressed out enough about the comp. Excited, yes, really looking forward to it, yes, feeling like I am much more prepared than ever but still have a ton of work to do, yes...but not nervous. Even when my pro cancelled lessons this week and said, "well, we still have two weekends, so just practice on your own." I think HE is more nervous that am I. And in that weird psychotic way that only dancers understand...THAT makes me nervous.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey GG....one of the best comps I ever did I felt ready for, not nervous or stressed, but ready for. Hope it goes the same for you!
  6. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Funny, so glad GG you are not stressed.
    My last comp I felt that way and that is a great feeling. As Fasc always says, it makes no sense to pay for something you dont enjoy, so good for you!

I looked at heat lists for my comp coming up this week-end, bad idea....
    But overall I am excited not stressed. It would however be great if I could loose 20 pounds in 2 days!

Today, we had to put our 14 year old dog down and my heart is very heavy right now.
    Tonight is the last lesson before comp and I decided not to cancel, thinking the diversion will do me good, though not sure it is the best thing for hubby to leave him alone.... What to do, what to do???
  7. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I have a month until Music City Invitational. I am doing a lot more heats than I have ever done and with a new instructor. I am starting to freak out. He wants me to dance some heats in dances that I have just learned. He is becoming more anal about a lot of things. I am starting to see the pre-competition side of him. I am excited about it but really really nervous that I wont be ready. Kinda starting to freak out.... :(
  8. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

So sorry to hear Jan. I actually competed the same day we put our family dog down a couple of years ago. It helped me to have something to take my mind off of it.

Are you at Eastern this week? I think you're in my area. I'll be there on Friday and Saturday nights. Good luck!
  9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Yes, at Eastern this week-end.... I compete on Saturday however plan to get there on Friday so we can watch pro rising star smooth Friday evening, will cheer you guys on!

(LOL, hubby's feelings trumped dance lesson tonight, so will just practice on my own and wing it!)
  10. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

That tells me lots about you Janathome. I'm sorry for your loss.
  11. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I'm getting nervous about all the firsts for me in 11 days: first time dancing at a 'real' comp...first time dancing in 'real' ballroom dresses...first time dancing in scholarships. Wish I had taken up yoga, maybe I could be practicing some meditation exercises right now LOL!
  12. fascination

ktia...yep...instructor's can get a tad more persnickety as a comp approaches...not mine of course, ;), but some...

jan...so sorry about your dog
  13. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm sure the nerves will come eventually - I have two weeks to work up to it, after all - but it's nice to know that I really shouldn't feel like something is missing if it doesn't. Right now it's kind of nice to not be feeling panicky and stressed, and to feel like I'll actually be ready for a change!

Jan - my heart hurts for you. I hope you can find a welcome distraction soon. :(
  14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog, Jan. You made the right decision not to go to your lesson. Your hubby needed you and one more lesson wont make or break how well you dance at this comp. and there will be other comps to train for too.
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Sniff, so sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. I would have done the exact same thing.
  16. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Janathome - so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet. My heart goes out to you. Dancing is a big part of my life but, as a dog owner of an 11 year old spaniel- there are more important parts of life and missing a lesson to grieve is what I would have done also
  17. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Having meltdown about Heritage - stressed about new Open Viennese waltz which is so rocky we both stop midway now and go "huh?" because we can't remember the choreography. We blended the infamous showdance routine and my old Open VW and now it is a hot mess. Oh well- my new dress will be done in time and maybe I can smile and fake it through....LOL
  18. fascination

if it makes you feel even marginally better, the new latin dress that I was supposed to have for heritage, and indiana before it, is somewhere between here and Slovenia due to some corrections that have to be made, no idea whather or not that will get back on time....and I did my open smooth tango and quickstep for the first time since ohio star ball yesterday....and lets just say that there were a few senior moments on the tango.....thusfar, I am calm about this, but I think it unlikely that I will remain that way :)
  19. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

We'll be dancing in the pro rs smooth. I should be in a new fuschia dress (assuming nothing is wrong with it when I try it on tonight). Please say hi if you see us!

Sending a big mental hug to you and your husband. You'll be fine this weekend and you probably both benefited from being together instead of at a lesson.
  20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's very exciting little_mouse! I still remember my first competition. It made me so much more excited about dancing. I love getting all dressed and done up. Good luck!