Private Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Dec 25, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I missed this - thats how I feel but my coach is fine with doing 1.5 lessons (90 minutes) which is, I think just right... (see above)
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

For me, it depends a LOT on what we're doing. Regular lessons with my new buddy teacher I'd be more than happy with 30 minutes, as she puts in SO MUCH new technique and tips, etc, that even at 30 my brain already feels full (hopefully I'll eventually reach place where she won't have so many thigns to correct in every lesson ;) ). With coachings I'm actually really happy to have 90, as we generally just do 45 minutes of new things with the coach, then I do 45 minute private immediately following to review what we learned from coach.
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[Where is your signoff quote from etp? Its very insightful...]
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Miss Mimseys' ballroom dance and charm school (or something like that). Not exactly the best dance movie, but I like the quote. :)
  5. Mine are 40 and 5.
  6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I find 45 minutes too short to really get into it - thats why I asked coach to pay the extra for a full 60. Since he's independent its easy for him to just adjust the starting time of the next student. And since he's still in his 20's he does not mind doing them without a break either!
  7. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Yes I prefer the hour too. Especially because when my pro has to stop and explain something or he uses an analogy. I have to break things down sometimes in slow motion to get it or do it over and over and over again. So I feel that 45 mins is to short. But meh ... it all comes in time. :D
  8. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Mine used to be 60 minutes and sometimes I found them a bit long (too much to take in). Now they're 45 minutes and sometimes I find them a bit short. Those times I'm usually fooling myself into thinking I'd get more out of a longer lesson. 45 minutes is the norm around here.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

due to having positively no better options, my lessons are generally 3 hours and 3 hours
  10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Couldn't do that, esp with pro like yours. impressive.
  11. fascination

am learning to have fairly good focus
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Like to think I could too, just not sure that I'd be able to. Impressed that you can though. :)
  13. fascination

here's the thing; if you look on a lesson like you look on other forms of sustenance, you just do what yuo have to do...in a previous life, I let lessons flow whichever way the wind blew, because I had that sort of flexibility...now...I have to be ready when the opportunity presents itself...it is just that simple...you do what you have to do ..am certain there are many others who do the same
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmm, that's true. I know dance is one of few things keeping me sane. or as close as I get. :) Good chance I'll have to cut way back in a few months too, and already back to one lesson a week. So suspect I may have to make same evaluation at other extreme, making absolute most of a very small amount of lesson time. But as you say, we do what we have to. C'est la vie, etc. :)
  15. fascination

get information on how best to practice alone ASAP
  16. fascination

always best to try very hard not to dwell upon one's constraints and to make lemonade instead
  17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Already been getting a lot of tips on that. Since I'm one of few students in studio who does practice regularly, all the pros have always been giving me tips, and buddy teacher has been giving me even more in last couple lessons (course, she's giving them to me because of flaws in my dancing she wants me to fix ;) )
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

hey, etp one thing we all share, even the top dancers here, - is flaws a plenty to fix in our dancing ;)
  19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

Totally agree with this.
  20. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

45 minutes with one or two minutes book next lessons