Private Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Dec 25, 2008.

1. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Not to be picky, but its "Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School". :google: Here's the sad part...I own the movie, and after reading your note above, completely forgot what the name actually was and had to look it up so it wouldnt drive me crazy wondering. Duh....
  2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I own that movie too. It's quite sweet, really.

OH....and my private lessons are 45 mins. Am thinking of starting to book back-to-back and see if that suits.
  3. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

My lessons are 45 minutes total, but I always take two lessons back to back for a total of an hour and a half. I find that's more productive for me -- after 45 minutes I am just getting the gist of what he wants me to accomplish, so I like to have more time to work on it.
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thats how I feel too - but 60 minutes is workable also...
  5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

It seems nowaday very hard to find teachers to teach 60 minutes, some teachers say they teach one hour, but in fact, they do 55 minutes, guess the 5 mins is for teachers to go rest room, drink water, take a short break, etc.
  6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I see a little of both here in Atlanta. Normally, I see students get the full 45 minutes if it is a 45 minute lesson.

Here is one example I have seen:
    A teacher starts two 45 minutes lessons at 1 pm, and ends at 2:30 pm. However, their next lesson is at 3 pm, so they have the freedom to either extend the lesson, or talk, etc. On occasion, if there is a tight squeeze, they will have 3-4 45 minutes sessions in a row, but normally there is a 30 minute break somewhere in the scheduling.
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

My coach initially said a lesson was 45 minutes so I said how much for 60? Funny how that changes the rules ;) IF they are independent and don't have to stick to a studio schedule they can simply schedule the next lesson 10 or 15 minutes later. No one seems to mind not starting precisely on the hour.
  8. Standarddancer

In NYC evening prime time, pros always have tight squeeze of multiple 45 mins lessons in a row, plus small floor, loud music, many couples on the floor, many distractions to begin with, so extremelyl important for both pros and couples to stay focus what they are working on;

some pros are really nice, when students see the fatigue of pro, and ask him/her to take a few minutes break, drink water, etc. They'll later make up the time for small breaks they took; Few just don't care about students, start late and finish early, plus fooling around during lesson time, students call this "steal" money from their pocket:(
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Wouldn't happen twice with me ;) I suppose it must be a buyer's market there. Here there are very few competition-level dancers so we are quite a premium and the teachers do not want to loose us. Maybe an advantage to living in toronto after all :) OTOH you have way better teaching depth....
  10. Standarddancer

I've been in Toronto once, big spacious studio, not many couples on the floor, I see what you mean.

So many competitive couples here, some teachers even play favorism, when they teach the couples they don't "care", they use the corner of their eyes to watch the couple that they "love" if that favored couple happen to practice on the side, which is absolutely unfair to the couple paying. some just very fair and nice, don't play favorism, treat all students with the same respect.
  11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I wonder which studio you were at? The best ones are not spacious and the spacious ones are mostly for dances, not teaching. Can you remember the name? Oh, maybe Viva dance? That is big but and has some of the best local talent - but it is usually packed with kids :)

I have to get to NY - love to read about the dance scene there... Looks like my next trip will be back to DC...
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

45 minutes, two at a time (of which there's a few at the end for writing stuff down).

45 minutes is way too short for me, an hour is barely do-able. 90 minutes-2 hours is good, but at two hours I appreciate a little break (a minute or so) to get a drink or something. More than two hours is really pushing it for me, and I feel like I start getting into a diminishing returns situation.
  13. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

I guess NYC has good teachers but also lots of students to pack the floors in like sardines in a can. :)

It is too bad that some pros would start late and finish early, unprofessional and unethical. :evil:

This favoritism is just wrong and unethical. :evil:

Hopefully the fair pros are rewarded with more booking. What goes around comes around.
  14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Is there a shortage of teachers in NY SD? As WG says, the bad ones should end up with no students ...
  15. Standarddancer

I wouldn't say a shortage of teachers, just top pros have no problems get booked since many serious am couples who compete and train on a regular basis, lessons, practice, then evening rounds. Very very serious. Couples care about their dancing and training, often respect their pro not only their teachers, but as a mentor, so most couples are quite sensitive about if the pro care about them or not;

pros are friendly to each other but still don't like their favored couples to take lessons from others (also happened sometimes pros yell at their students if they take lessons from their worst competitors).

WG is right, the ones irresponsible and shows no respect to their students do lose a lot of business. Just it's well known that NYC is one of the countries' best place to train so often there are new couples coming so these bad ones get a chance to get business from newer couples. However, if such lame working attitude not gets corrected, soon new couples will figure out they don't care, so eventually will go to other responsible pros too.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have never seen that...my pros are remarkably focused & attentive to all their students. jedi-master attentiveness...:cool:

i can't imagine an elite-level coach doing that. just seems to go against the grain of the patience, concentration, and generosity that is required to be a champion dancer.
  17. Standarddancer

your pro is nice, I saw him competing and I believe what you said he's energetic, responsible and professional.

yap some top pros do have favorite students, some of them pays more attention to favored couples, if they running late, more likely to make up hours to favored couples, and take away times from less favored ones to favored ones. It's unprofessional, but do happen sometimes.
  18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It may not be strictly professional, but it is VERY human.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

don't mean to be contentious, but it's not at all human when someone, anyone, is focused creatively on the activity at hand. when i am in a lesson i am utterly & completely absorbed...i don't care who's watching, who's next door...you could have a knock-down drag-out fight ten feet away and i wouldn't care what was being discussed, lol. and it can be the same for someone teaching. you get into a "groove" together, with the student paying attention to what needs to be learned & the teacher paying attention to how to best increase the student's understanding.

i may be exaggerating it a teensy bit but...such an expensive personal service requires *attention*. i know i wouldn't last long with someone whose attention was not on what i need but on the dancer next door...
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

aw, that's nice. yep, he is all that... :)