Private Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

Yup, I've seen it on rare occasion (we were the 'pet' so to speak). Once upon a time we NEVER went to another teacher... when finally we did (at the same studio), we felt our original teacher was more interested in our lesson than the one they were teaching. Another Pro has since commented that when students go to two dozen or more different teachers, it makes it difficult to "care". Maybe the other couple (in our example) had been going to every other teacher in the city. (Not that there's any excuse for it, but seems to me it's the chicken or the egg syndrome... you don't care so I don't care, but I didn't care cause you didn't care, on and on and on).

2. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I've never seen any of our instructors do this, but I have had my instructor approach me while I am practicing by myself, when he is between lessons, and correct something that I'm doing wrong. I didn't think that he was paying any attention to me over in the corner! It's appreciated, of course, and it doesn't seem that he's taking time from someone else to nudge me in the right direction.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thats a great feeling isn't it? The fact that he would correct you means he cares; the fact that he cares tacityl implies that he thinks you are worth putting the effort into. And that means he values you....

4. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Yes, I was shocked the first time it happened! It does make me feel really good!!!

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

DEFINITELy a nice feeling when pro is watching even when they're not teaching you. As much or moreso when they're not even your pro anymore. :)

6. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Ahh, but when a pro helps you out when you're practicing on your own, and it's another couple's lesson time, that's a problem, as described in the distractions thread. Not a problem for you, but for the other couple.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ah, not talking about that WG. talking about when pros are on a break and they see you practicing and come over and say anything. Would never want them to say anything if they were in middle of a lesson. At most, if they were in a lesson and happened to see something, would expect them to wait until they were done, THEN come grab me and tell me what they saw.

8. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Understand, etp. But the problem is, it happens, despite the fact that I don't want the instructor to pay attention to me when he's/she's supposed to be with a paid couple at the moment. In other words, some instructors either are too enthused, or like me too much. :)

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Can't say I have that problem. I guess people just don't like me that much. :D

10. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

I'm completely distracted when I notice pro watching...one of the reasons I don't practice in the same room he's in at any given time... he's very intense in his observation technique. He does often pay attention to my lessons with my buddy teacher though... and has commented on things days later when I've already forgotten. I do appreciate that he cares...but it can be very distracting.

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

This may be an opportunity SC: you can use that as a way to improve your competition technique. When out there you are going to be looked at in a more intense way than your coach is doing and by people you don't know. Maybe you should not avoid him but start to think positively instead - that he is looking at how well you are dancing and not looking for your flaws. Its key to competing - if you are always thinking they are looking at how bad you are dancing - well, thats exactly what you are going to do...

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I know that they are always watching which is why I don't even practice at the studio unless I am ready to give it 100%...

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

another good reason to practice at the studio :p

14. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

I have no other place to practice but the studio.

15. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

Interesting thread. :)

D's private (solo) lessons are 30 min long. It is a good length for a child to be able to give her total concentration. Of course, the learning doesn't stop there. After the private lesson comes a break of about 1½ hours during which we eat the dinner we brought with us, then she is usually eager to show me what they worked on. Then we play something until it is time to calm down for the group lesson.

30 minutes isn't long, but it is making a clear difference in her dancing. Had I more money, we could try longer lessons, but even this is working. Most private lessons are 60 minutes that I've seen advertised.

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I think for kids 30 minutes lessons okay since it's hard for them to be focused for like 45 minutes or 55 mins, lessons could be more valuable at 30 mins and affortable.

17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I could practice some basic steps at home, my living room still can accommodate a few basic steps, but just not the same motivation and competitive atmosphere as studio.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I wish my studio had a competitive atmosphere.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I know you hate it when I say this etp, but you don't live in the boondocks and could always look around you know. If your studio is the best then its still going to be so if you look at the alternatives. I didn't start at a chain studio exactly but it was an independent studio where the owners were spinoffs and used the same strategy. Twas a warm and fuzzy place to dance - and I still look back on it with affection - but turns out it was not the b-all and end all for my needs.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I've mentioned that I like a 60 or up to 90 minute lesson. Today I did 130 and it was fine. The reason was the first 70 or so was solo with my coach and the remainder were with my AM DP. I had no trouble learning new stuff. So maybe its like eating - you stuff yourself to the gills with turkey and trimmings so that you can not eat another thing but then manage to put down a pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Just changing dances (in standard) is not enough of a change but maybe if I did standard and latin I could do the same thing solo....